No announcement yet.

The First Commandment (105)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have seen SG-1 be manipulated more than their fair share of times. In the episode Need we see Daniel manipulated to the point that he allows his friends to be brought to the brink of death. However, we as an audience realize that it was not his fault. Captain Jonas was not an evil man, like Conner said if it was one thing they would have noticed it and been able to stop him. The combination of sun, traveling to different planets, saving a boy, and the hypnotic effect of having so many people look up to you. I can easily see how a good man could go crazy extremely easy. Sam didn't shoot him because she understood that he was not an evil man and that he could still be helped. It was to bad that they were not able to save both Lieutenant's Conner and Baker.
    sigpic

Comment

Not to mention that she had some major personal history with him.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        Not to mention that she had some major personal history with him.
        I try to ignore that aspect of the storyline, it never set well with me. I like to think of Jonas and Sam as fellow Captain's in the Air Force. Carter didn't fire on him because she isn't a murderer.
        sigpic

Comment

I had a hard time picturing Jonas as Sam's former love interest, too. However, I like the fact they threw it in, making her seem like she has some sort of 'life' outside the uniform and isn't some sort of automotan. But there was no on-screen chemistry with them and it kind of fell flat.

I'm liking watching the developing friendships between the main 4 characters. Especially Daniel and Teal'c in this one, when they are working together finding the second shield generator.

Comment

Originally posted by HelloVelo View Post
            I was going to criticize Sam for being engaged to a guy who enslaved a planet and worked his followers to death, but I realized I've dated worse.

6/10

Full Review:http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2...mmandment.html

Comment

This episode seemed to continue on the theme of the what ifs of Gate travel and is every officer/solider really cut out to interact with other cultures from other worlds.

Sam's lunertic fringe comment and then the camera staying on Jack was interesting - Jack's not crazy just WACKO sometimes (reference to Window of Opportunity).

Sam and Jonas was a bit of a shock I mean from what we have seen so far of Sam she seems to career driven to be worried about a relationship - but I guess it goes to show even the most "hardcore" officer/soldier need a relationship/partner.

Daniel's comment typical of the government and solider comment "the crazier they are the more extreme situation they are put into" then Daniel casually looks at Jack.

Haha Teal'c's drawing was "good" and his smile hehe. I from what we understand in Children of the Gods the Jaffa probably weren't allowed to draw/write as when Daniel draws earth symbol he quickly dusts it out so I guess that's where that comment was drawn from/in relation to or it was just his drawing wasn't that good.

I'm loving all the interesting shots they are doing with the Gate maybe I just don't notice them as much any more or they aren't used so often but they are cool. Oh and Gate lying down and activated was cool to.

Also lots of biblical references in this episode.

Overall not to bad of an episode.

Stargate SG-1 Re-Watch: Season 1, 2, 3

Comment

Originally posted by pritnep View Post
                Sam's lunertic fringe comment and then the camera staying on Jack was interesting - Jack's not crazy just WACKO sometimes (reference to Window of Opportunity).

Daniel's comment typical of the government and solider comment "the crazier they are the more extreme situation they are put into" then Daniel casually looks at Jack.
                i adore jack's WACKO-ness.

Comment

This was quite a good one. It showed that Jack was willing to risk being captured while freeing somebody. It showed that Sam may be military, but she won't kill in cold blood. It also (possibly) showed that she hoped Hansen could be 'saved'.

Regarding some previous comments: Egyptian Pharaohs became gods when they died. Occasionally one would want to be worshipped while they were alive (Akhenaten was one, I think), but not often. The pyramids and temples weren't built by slaves. They were built by workers who were paid in food and clothing (Egypt didn't have a cash economy back then). Towns where the workmen lived with their families have been excavated, including evidence that the workmen went on strike if the 'pay' didn't arrive on time. Oh, and if you compare Teal'c's sketch of the 'device' to the cave paintings, it was good. It just wasn't good by the standards of anybody that can draw. (Or maybe Jamala was being kind to somebody he thought might kill him.)

I do have a couple of questions. There were four members of SG-9: Hansen, Connor, Baker and Frakes. Frakes is killed right at the start, Hansen dies when he is thrown through the Stargate, Connor goes back to the SGC with SG-1. What happened to Baker? I don't recall him being thrown through the 'gate and he definitely wasn't there when SG-1 left.

The other question is about the shield. When the two devices are activated, the shield covers an area between the 'gate and the caves. When SG-1 are leaving, Jamala says, "The area outside the caves is big." Daniel replies, "Bigger than you can imagine." Well, the area under the shield when activated isn't that big, and I don't see how it could expand to cover an area bigger than between the two fixed points. Actually, the shield makes me think of the shield in the Childhood's End episode of Atlantis. In that episode the area covered by the shield was limited.
                  C-D
                  Dragon by name, Cheerful by nature

Sig by *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by Harlan's Speechwriter View Post
                    Please do post as you watch! I don't have Sky, so I'm catching up watching the DVDs and am only just finishing Season 3.

One of the things I love about Stargate is that it works on so many different levels and, as you say, each episode is a bit like a short film in its own right.

I'm no expert, but I think this episode could well be seen as a metaphor for Egypt.
                    Oh wow Season 3. You lucky =\ I wish i could rewatch everything without knowing what will happen it would be more exciteing lol. You'll love the Stargate Series

Comment

I completely agree. It would have been great to have that. Also, the first time i watched this ep, i was confused by how Carter knew Hansen. The "gave back the ring" thing went over my head. They should have had him introduced earlier in the season if that was possible.
                      By the way, was anyone else shouting at the screen- "SHOOT HIM! COME ON!" or am i just part of the lunatic fringe?
                      sorry, this is in reply to the very first post! (I'm new)
                      Last edited by stargatesquee; 08 November 2008, 02:40 PM. Reason: wrong place-sorry!
                      Don S. Davis, 1942-2008.

Comment

Originally posted by stargatesquee View Post
                        I completely agree. It would have been great to have that. Also, the first time i watched this ep, i was confused by how Carter knew Hansen. The "gave back the ring" thing went over my head. They should have had him introduced earlier in the season if that was possible.
                        By the way, was anyone else shouting at the screen- "SHOOT HIM! COME ON!" or am i just part of the lunatic fringe?
                        sorry, this is in reply to the very first post! (I'm new)
                        i wasn't shouting but i was defo thinking it.

Comment

its good to see that even the good guys can go power mad. Shows the human side to them. Sam had a good part in the episode in which we see yet aniother side to her. she is slowly finding her ground in this one.
                          Some say that he has only one ear.
                          And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
                          All we know is he's called
                          sigpic

Comment

By the way, was anyone else shouting at the screen- "SHOOT HIM! COME ON!
                            I was thinking that the first time I watched it and everytime I watch it aswell, I hated that guy and why introduce a Jonas in season 5, when there was already a Jonas person established in S1. Thats not a question, just thinking aloud (typing on a computer keyboard).

Comment

The first commandment.. the first episode
                              That I saw at least..
                              I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Well, I liked how the episode proved the saying Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely. It was a nice episode.
                                If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                                Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                                If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                                Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Working...
                                X