This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr. Who

I got interested in Dr. Who when out local PBS station had it in the 80s.

Could someone tell me how many Doctor's there have been since the beginning of the series?

The television series' Doctors were

William Hartnell (swept-back white hair)
    Patrick Troughton (small and dark)
    Jon Pertwee (curly white hair, had a car instead of a TARDIS for some reason )
    Tom Baker (the definitive article )
    Peter Davidson (who I had a bit of a crush on from when he was Tristram in All Creatures )
    Colin Baker (and his amazing technicolour dreamcoat)
    Sylvester McCoy (Scottish, although no haggis)

In addition there was Peter Cushing in a couple of 60's films, one of the McGanns (Joe? Paul?) in a rather dire 90's TV special, and Richard Hurdnall who played William Hartnell's Doctor in "The Five Doctors" which would have been around 1983 I think.

Christopher Eccleston will be next. He was in 28 Days Later as a git of an army officer, and in Shallow Grave as the one who goes rather loopy.

Madeleine

Comment

My dad watch also. I believed he liked Tom Baker the best. Wasn't he the longest running Doctor?

I also like the Tardis and the illusion of it, small on the outside and huge on the inside.

Comment

I'm irked to find out that BBC has already cut airing deals with CBC (canada) and Prime TV (NZ) but nothing is yet firm for US broadcast....

I don't care if it's back on PBS, I'll listen to the begging for dollars telethons just get it on the air here next year!!
        Thanks!
        Jordan

my page
        My LJ
        From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Does anyone know if the earlier shows, from the beginning, of Dr. Who are on DVD?

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
            Does anyone know if the earlier shows, from the beginning, of Dr. Who are on DVD?
            The DVD releases are in some kind of order, I just don't know what. There are examples of all seven TV doctors available. For a complete list, check out the BBC Cult website's Dr Who section.

Officially, just by-the-by, Chris Eccleston is the Ninth Doctor.

Oh, and Jon Pertwee had a car because he had been exiled to Earth by the Time Lords for his interfering ways and he discovered a love of vintage motors.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Theres a fair few DVD releases of Who episodes but unfortunately alot of the really early episodes have been lost by the BBC and will never be seen again.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitster
                Theres a fair few DVD releases of Who episodes but unfortunately alot of the really early episodes have been lost by the BBC and will never be seen again.
                About half or one third of the Patrick Troughton ones have been lost... According to a friend, (not sure how true this is) some later footage was recorded over previous footage to save money. It's a bit annoying not being able to see what happens to Jamie and Zoe and watch the second doctor regenerate to the third.
                sigpic
                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                  The DVD releases are in some kind of order, I just don't know what. There are examples of all seven TV doctors available. For a complete list, check out the BBC Cult website's Dr Who section.

Officially, just by-the-by, Chris Eccleston is the Ninth Doctor.

Oh, and Jon Pertwee had a car because he had been exiled to Earth by the Time Lords for his interfering ways and he discovered a love of vintage motors.
                  Yes, Bessie... cute little number... love the sonic screwdriver and the Venutian martial arts as well. Interesting dress sense too
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

All the classic ones have been transferred onto DVD. Eg. The Three Doctors, the Five Doctors, The Talons of Weng Chiang, a number of the Dalek ones.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                      All the classic ones have been transferred onto DVD. Eg. The Three Doctors, the Five Doctors, The Talons of Weng Chiang, a number of the Dalek ones.
                      I can't believe you missed off Pyramids of Mars! On a Stargate board!

'I bring Sutekh's gift of jelly to all human life' is one of my stand-by replacement sigs.
                      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Are we doing favourite lines from Dr Who now? Nothing quite beats, for me - and this has to be said in your best Teegan accent:

"But how can we go anywhere doctor with a dormant gravis on the console!"
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                          I can't believe you missed off Pyramids of Mars! On a Stargate board!

Not deliberately I assure you Prophet... A good story too... Yes, it struck me watching it the other day how similar it is to Stargate in its use of Egyptian myth.
                          But my intention was just to give a few examples... not really to be exhaustive.

"I am every kind of scientist"
                          "You'll never understand. I want to see the universe, not rule it"
                          Last edited by Easter Lily; 16 December 2004, 12:06 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Ladies an' germs, let's hear it for Brigadier Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart (or The Brig as he's affectionately known) and his brave boys from UNIT (United Nations Intelligece Taskforce).

I've a real soft spot for these guys, and often idly wonder what would happen if UNIT took over the running of the SGC.

Favourite line: "Sgt. Benton? Chap with wings. Five rounds rapid."
                            sigpic
                            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
                              Ladies an' germs, let's hear it for Brigadier Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart (or The Brig as he's affectionately known) and his brave boys from UNIT (United Nations Intelligece Taskforce).

I've a real soft spot for these guys, and often idly wonder what would happen if UNIT took over the running of the SGC.

Favourite line: "Sgt. Benton? Chap with wings. Five rounds rapid."
                              `

and there you just named my fave UNIT character.... SGT. Benton.
                              as for companions you can't go wrong with Jo Grant or Peri.
                              Thanks!
                              Jordan

my page
                              My LJ
                              From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Working...
                              X