Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

previous SG knowledge needed to watch SGU ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

previous SG knowledge needed to watch SGU ?

so i'm still new at this whole stargate thing. i just picked it up and i really enjoy it. i like watching tv shows in order. i'm up to the start the 4th season of sg-1. should i wait and finish all of sg-1 and atlantis before i start SGU? or is it made to stand alone but previous known knowledge helps? or what? i want to enjoy the experience to the fullest, but not miss out on the fun.

It probably doesn't matter, but it wouldn't hurt. I'm sure you'll probably be able to finish by the time the first episode airs.

Comment

Originally posted by abeprs View Post
      so i'm still new at this whole stargate thing. i just picked it up and i really enjoy it. i like watching tv shows in order. i'm up to the start the 4th season of sg-1. should i wait and finish all of sg-1 and atlantis before i start SGU? or is it made to stand alone but previous known knowledge helps? or what? i want to enjoy the experience to the fullest, but not miss out on the fun.
      You seem like you really like the show. If thats the case, I'd definitely start out with the original Stargate Movie then start with SG1 season 1
      BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

Originally posted by abeprs View Post
        This. They're making an effort to make the show accessible to new viewers, so it won't be necessary to have seen any Stargate before, but I suspect that it would add to the experience. If you've got enough time on your hands I'd definitely recommend it, as SGU won't be out until October anyway, but if you haven't, I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Experience it the fullest = watch everything before it.

I bid you good luck.

Comment

Do what I did and watch AOK before watching any SG1 at all....I had no bloody idea what was going on haha.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
              Do what I did and watch AOK before watching any SG1 at all....I had no bloody idea what was going on haha.
              What is AOK? where you meaning AOT as in Ark of Truth? And to the starter of the thread Welcome to the family personally i would watch in the order the shows were broadcast to get the full feel of the universe, hope you become as addicted as the rest of us.

Comment

sorry mate i was tired!! haha...bloody typos. yes i meant ark of truth.
                sigpic

Comment

I think it would be okay to watch SGU before you finish the rest of the
                  stargate series. I didn't watch any sg1 before i started watching atlantis. I did not make it hard to understand the show.

Comment

Didn't they say Atlantis was going to be made so you didn't have to watch SG-1 to understand it? Somehow by watching the Pilot, I find it doubtfull that firstime viewers understood what was going on in the first few episodes.
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

No one's gonna really be able to answer that till it comes out, I guess you wouldn't have to since they are trying to reach a new audience but who knows. Go ahead and watch SG-1 and Atlantis now though you got plenty of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse99 View Post
                        No one's gonna really be able to answer that till it comes out, I guess you wouldn't have to since they are trying to reach a new audience but who knows. Go ahead and watch SG-1 and Atlantis now though you got plenty of time.
                        With 117 days until October 2 (yes, I'm counting ) and over 300 eps of SG1/SGA to watch, he/she will be busy! LOL!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                          With 117 days until October 2 (yes, I'm counting ) and over 300 eps of SG1/SGA to watch, he/she will be busy! LOL!
                          Don't forget about the movies. Its strange with this long break it feels like their is so much time in the world.
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

I think knowing the basic premise of stargate is all u need. (airforce exploring outer space thru the stargate)

Comment

With this stand alone flavor of stargate series. You don't need to know much.
                              but SGU wil be to different compared to SG1 & atlantis.

Humor action hero stuff vs Drama+ bit humor surfival style.

Because it's so different it makes me more curious. Altho I don't like drama but prefere aktion humor stuf.

Comment

Working...
                              X