Page 14 of 332 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516172464114 ... LastLast

Default Re: What Doctor Who episode did you watch today?

12.01 Robot

Well, but the end of part 1 I was sold on Tom Baker already While I thoroughly enjoyed the long and awkward regeneration of Jon Pertwee's Doctor, it was fun to see Tom Baker come back as a bit manic almost immediately I also really liked how thos one picked up RIGHT from where the previous story ended, even with a bit of overlap. Nice continuity there, and a great excuse to involve the Brigadier and Benton in the first story of a new Doctor.

As for the robot story itself....a bit ho-hum, to be honest. The whole thing was really carried by the wonderfully Looney Tunes performance of Tom Baker.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

Boom Town

Bad Wolf.

The Doctor was onto you you big bad Wolf

In a bipedal tank a sort of metal gear (leeds)

Quote Originally Posted by Billz View Post
    Shadows don't stand detached from walls.
    It's defintely a person. Question is, who?
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...MYSTERIOUS.jpg
    Its looks like the back of the sarcophagus is open.

I have today got round to watching the big bang after my holidays. A great episode can't wait for the return.
    I have to admit i was disappointed with the start of the season but the last two episodes has convinced me that this Dr will be a good one.

Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
    Metal gear fan

The Parting of the Ways

So the Daleks commited Genocide, attempted to meld human and Dalek DNA, killed his own race, attempted to destroy all the universe, and is generally the most evil beings in the universe and when they find they find Religion then and only then do they become Insane ...Season One was so subpar.

Good though, good episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Col.Foley View Post
    The Parting of the Ways

So the Daleks commited Genocide, attempted to meld human and Dalek DNA, killed his own race, attempted to destroy all the universe, and is generally the most evil beings in the universe and when they find they find Religion then and only then do they become Insane ...Season One was so subpar.

Good though, good episode.
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

The Parting of the Ways

So the Daleks commited Genocide, attempted to meld human and Dalek DNA, killed his own race, attempted to destroy all the universe, and is generally the most evil beings in the universe and when they find they find Religion then and only then do they become Insane
    Sounds about right to me

...Season One was so subpar.
    I dunno....I thought it brought some great stuff to the table. I really enjoyed The End of the World, Dalek, Father's Day, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances and Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways. 7/13 is actually a pretty decent ratio

12.02 The Ark in Space
    More of Tom Baker being amazing, and the first of the Doctor really showing his absolute fascination with human beings. And a trip to the distant future, to boot!
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

12.03 The Sontaran Experiment

A fun little jaunt, and oddly short. I had to LOL a little at Sarah's bright yellow outfit, was she expecting torrential rain? I very much enjoy that this one was shot entirely on-location, you don't see that too often in Doctor Who. But it gave a much more 'real' feel to the long-since abandoned and uninhabited Earth.

Actually come to think of it, there's really a lot of neat stuff happening in this rather short story. There's the abandoned Earth, having begun to once again sprout life; which I find incredibly optimistic and uplifting in its resilience. And then there's the whole thing about Nerva having passed into legend, which is very very believable given that it's been 10,000 years since the human exodus from Earth. Neat stuff.

Oh and hey, Sontarans again! I love those guys! A race of military strategists is something pretty damn cool in my books, and establishing the Sontaran expedition here as cataloguing humans in a military context is also neat. In a chilling sort of a way, I mean. I wonder if the writer of this story deliberately intended them to be an allegory for the medical experimentation that Nazis did to human beings?

Watched Amy's Choice and Chapter 2 of The Trial of a Time Lord - Mindwarp.
    Last edited by Alan; July 15th, 2010 at 06:37 AM.
    THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES, K-9, CLASS and much more...

12.04 Genesis of the Daleks

A very interesting story. I think it's awesome that Terry Nation took the evil creatures invented in the first year of Doctor Who, and now 12 years later was able to do a distant origins story for the Dalek race as a whole. Very consistent in how the Kaleds, the distant humanoid ancestors of the Daleks, are so aggressive and Nazi-ish in a nod to the creatures they would mutate into in the future.

While I do find all that really nice, I think they might've gone just a touch overboard with it at times. The Kaled officer carrying a Luger (on a distant alien world!), the troops in jackboots, and their leader being a Goebbels-looking fellow in glasses and wearing an Iron Cross medal....well. Like I said, a bit much

Another thing I'm not terribly fond of so far this season is Harry as the new companion. It's not that there's anything wrong with him per se, he's a likeable enough character that I'm sure I'll be disappointed to see leave so soon into the next season. My gripe is that this year the show's writers seem to have lost the ability to effectively balance companions. Sarah's screen time is really suffering as a result of Harry's introduction.

To flip back over to positives....Thals! I love seeing the Thals. I don't know what it is about them, but as a race they totally fascinate me. And in what I think is an excellent nod to all the previous Dalek stories, here again the Thals are the survivors despite the best efforts of the Daleks

And hey, Davros! Inventing the Daleks we're so familiar with! Awesome! I love how he's such a disgustingly mutated creature, and that his voice is so similar to the voice synthesizer that the Daleks would end up with later on. Great continuity. Makes me sad that Terry Nation isn't still around these days to handle Dalek stories in the current series.

edit; and another thing....Tom Baker is hilarious. I don't just mean his Doctor, I've been watching the bonus stuff on the DVDs and even as an older guy he still makes me laugh. I especially liked in one of the bonus features on this one that he says that 'most things in TV are nicked from somewhere else, but in TV it's not called plagiarism, it's called homage'
    Last edited by DigiFluid; July 15th, 2010 at 11:00 PM.

12.05 Revenge of the Cybermen

Ehh....I was a bit underwhelmed by this after Genesis of the Daleks. Just wasn't a terribly compelling Cybermen story in my books.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Sounds about right to me

I dunno....I thought it brought some great stuff to the table. I really enjoyed The End of the World, Dalek, Father's Day, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances and Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways. 7/13 is actually a pretty decent ratio

12.02 The Ark in Space
    More of Tom Baker being amazing, and the first of the Doctor really showing his absolute fascination with human beings. And a trip to the distant future, to boot!
    Lets see. I enjoyed Dalek, Boom Town, Bad Wolf, Parting of the Ways, Father's Day was alright...I mean there were a lot of 'alright' episodes in it, and a lot of ones of the flashes of greatness that were to come. But they have two episodes that I hate hate hated, worse episodes of the series. Bar none, though this time through I kinda liked them. And Eccelston was no Smith and certainly no Tennant.

Yesterday I watched Planet of Fire and Chapter 3 of The Trial of a Time Lord - Terror of the Vervoids.
    THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES, K-9, CLASS and much more...

13.01 Terror of the Zygons

If the Master can 'glamour' people into doing his bidding, why is it the Doctor's hypnotism technique is learned from a Tibetan monk? And also....farewell, Benton

Watched The Pandorica Opens for the very first time today. Interesting fairy tale-type elements, especially with much of Amy's childhood playing out at Stonehenge. It's fascinating that Rory dressed up as a centurion while Amy was the "cop" in an interesting little photo near the end of the story.

Rory shooting Amy =

Today I watched and screencapped the 4th and final chapter of The Trial of a Time Lord - The Ultimate Foe.

"Carrot juice, carrot juice, carrot juice..." - The last words spoken by the Doctor's sixth incarnation.

13.02 Planet of Evil

Ehh.... Not a bad story so much as it was a letdown of a story. The name Planet of Evil conjures up such cool and scary imagery. Instead we get LSD-inspired plant-life, styrofoam rocks, and anti-matter being used in a way wholly contradictory to what we were told would happen in The Three Doctors.

13.03 Pyramids of Mars

A good story. I'm a bit disappointed it didn't involve more of Mars, which seems like a perfect opportunity to use the Ice Warriors. But it was still a fun story. Seeing a desolate alternate future for Earth and mummies roaming the English countryside

A bit more violent than usual though. Not gory violent, just that holy crap a lot of people died in this story.

Revenge of the Slitheen - Story 1 from Series 1 of The Sarah Jane Adventures

13.04 The Android Invasion

Was....was there a reason this Col. Farraday guy was basically just a fat Brigadier?

Carnival of Monsters
    This was the first classic Who I've watched. I found it very enjoyable. (Although I still prefer the new series.)