Steven Erikson The Malazan Fantasy Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steven Erikson The Malazan Fantasy Series

I was wondering if anyone here has read this wonderful series?
    book one is Gardens of the Moon, book 2 Deadhouse gates book 3 is Memories of Ice Ive just finished up book 4 House of Chains , Im just starting on the next in the series Midnight Tides. if you like Glen Cook, George R martin or Micheal Moorcock, then you will love Erikson because he's easily in their class.

Does the plot move along at a quick pace or does it plod along unendingly like George Martin's Game of Thrones books? Will I love the characters or will I care less whether they live or die?

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
      Does the plot move along at a quick pace or does it plod along unendingly like George Martin's Game of Thrones books? Will I love the characters or will I care less whether they live or die?
      Its a series you either love or hate, The story are complex and involved but its worth it, The characters even the non human ones are very interesting and I do care about them. Its a very gritty series, It reminds me of Glen cooks Black Company novels more then anything else.

Comment

I've just started book 4 of this series, and I really like it. It challenges me more than any fantasy series I have ever read. The series weaves a complex web like no other series I have ever read. Very enjoyable if you love epic fantasy and are looking for something different.

This sums it up better than I could:
        One of the best epic fantasy series currently out there. No boy-finds-magic-sword-and-defeats-dark-wizard story here. Malazan Book of the Fallen is a complex creation, with an absolutely huge cast of characters and stories that span thousands of pages. The stories encompassed in each book are like pieces of a puzzle -- each piece is a small picture of the story, but as you progress through the books, a spectacular picture emerges. It takes a bit of work to wrap yourself around the story, however. Those used to the standard epic fantasy tale may find themselves bewildered half way through the first book. The strange world, enigmatic characters, and vastness of the story can be confusing, BUT persevere and the Malazan Book of the Fallen becomes something incredible. By the time you are a couple of books into the series, you'll be hopelessly addicted.
        sigpic

Comment

The thing is, I don't love epic fantasy, but I've heard a lot of good things about this series. I generally prefer science fiction, but there have been some fantasy books I've liked. The last time I went to my favorite used bookstore and had a lot of credit from books I've traded in, I happened to find the first six books in this series in practically new condition. They are very thick mass market paperbacks, at least as big as any of Martin's SoIaF. I would have expected some creasing on the spine, but they're all in great shape, almost like someone stole them from a new bookstore and brought them in to trade for other books they might like more. Who knows when or if I'll ever read them, since I've got hundreds more on my To Be Read pile.

Comment

The first book introduces you to the world, but has a bit of a different feel than the others I've read and based on comments from others. By the end of the second book you'll have a good feel for the series and will know if you want to commit to finishing it.
            sigpic

Comment

I've read (and own) the whole series. It is a great series but it's definitely not for everyone. The books don't all follow the same people or events but rather tell the story of whats happening in the entire world, so it can sometimes be a bit difficult keeping events straight.

I really wish that I had discovered the series after it had all been written since the year long gaps between books made remembering details a bit hard. Even so I really recommend it since the world it creates is really great and some of the characters are very interesting and unique.

Comment

One good thing I've found is that the wiki's are written in a way that separates character information by book. Makes it easy to read back about a character if I need a refresher without exposing myself to spoilers.
                sigpic

Comment

Just finished book 5, Midnight Tides and loved it (really good but sort of a backstory\setup book for overall plot)

Now starting book 6, The Bonehunters which picks up right after book 4...jumps right in with some awesome characters.
                  sigpic

Comment

Malazan Series overall post.

1. Dancer's Lament (Path to Ascendancy 1)
                    2. Deadhouse Landing (Path to Ascendancy 2)
                    3. Kellanved's Reach (Path to Ascendancy 3)
                    I think I would recommend reading these first. The series has a complex magic system, cast of users, history and so many other things that are given a good introduction in this series. This series end at least 25 years before the main series picks up, maybe more, and so gives a good history while really standing on its own.

4. Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen - book 1)
                    5. Deadhouse Gates (Malazan Book of the Fallen - book 2)
                    6. Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen - book 3)
                    -Books 2 and 3 are concurrent novels taking place right after book 1
                    7. House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen - book 4)
                    8. Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen - book 5)

9. Night of Knives (Novels of the Malazan Empire 1)
                    10.The Bonehunters (Malazan Book of the Fallen - book 6)
                    11. Return of the Crimson Guard (Novels of the Malazan Empire 2)
                    12. Reaper's Gale (Malazan Book of the Fallen - book 7)
                    13. Stonewielder (Novels of the Malazan Empire 3)
                    14. Toll the Hounds (Malazan Book of the Fallen - book 8)
                    15. Orb Sceptre Throne (Novels of the Malazan Empire 4)
                    16. Dust of Dreams (Malazan Book of the Fallen - book 9)
                    17. The Crippled God (Malazan Book of the Fallen - book 10)

18. Blood and Bone (Novels of the Malazan Empire 5)
                    19. Assail (Novels of the Malazan Empire 6)

Malazan Book of the Fallen main series by: Steven Erikson

Novels of the Malazan Empire and Path to Ascension Trilogy by: Ian C. Esslemont
                    sigpic

Comment

I read this series years ago, scroll up to my original comments. Now I'm reading again. Read the prequel first and LOVED it. I'm also going to read some of the other Ian Esslemont books this time around mixed in with the main series.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X