Star Trek Box set questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek Box set questions

I am debating on getting a region free boxset with all 6 movies. Unfortunately, the Chinese who run the website with the best price can tell me NOTHING about it. I know that if I buy the directors cuts individually, I will get more material, but will I even have time to see it all? The price is $47 + $19 shipping.

If I buy the Blueray, the cheapest price is $75 and I don't yet have a player, so almost $300 to spend...

any ideas?

Region free, from Chinese sellers, who know nothing about it.

^^ That is a recipe for disaster if ever I read one.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

I was looking for info on the contents not if I should or shouldn'y buy region free. I have bought from them before, but this is Star Trek.

Comment

Yup its gonna be a bootleg probably with horrible picture quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse99 View Post
          Yup its gonna be a bootleg probably with horrible picture quality.
          Doesn't anyone read before they post?!? They are NOT bootleg. I have ordered from them before. The picture quality is just fine thank you.

All I was interested in was the content of the DVDs. If you have never ordered a region-free DVD, you wouldn't know.

Comment

That's just the thing, there are no officially authorized region-free Trek releases, which makes any such thing a bootleg by definition. A well-made bootleg maybe, but a bootleg just the same. This is why you can't find information about them, and why very few people (even here) will be any help answering your question.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

So that means all region frees are bootleg? or just the ones from Star Trek?

BTW thanks for being patient with me. I really appreciate that.

Comment

All I was interested in was the content of the DVDs. If you have never ordered a region-free DVD, you wouldn't know.
                I have not knowing they were bootlegs, I destroyed them after I found out.

Originally posted by jbachandouris View Post
                So that means all region frees are bootleg? or just the ones from Star Trek?

BTW thanks for being patient with me. I really appreciate that.
                Yes a region free Star Trek would be bootleg, 99.9999999% of the time anything you see that's region free is a bootleg. The other .000001% are educational films and other misc stuff.

Comment

That's good to know. My Dr. Who 1-4 is put together so well, I would never have been able to tell. The episodes look great as well.

Comment

That's good to know. My Dr. Who 1-4 is put together so well, I would never have been able to tell. The episodes look great as well.
                    Yeah I've heard they made the packaging for Chinese bootlegs better over the years to try and make people think they are legit.

Comment

Interesting to note, when you contact them via online chat, they claim that they are not bootleg. Yeah, I know, that's what a bootlegger would say....

Comment

Back on my main question: should I buy the director's cut DVDs or a 'legal' box set? I would consider the Blueray, but then I'd have to buy a player :>.

Comment

Director's cut DVDs are probably significantly cheaper, especially since you won't need a BR player for them. I have the BR set, and it should be noted that they ARE NOT the director's cuts, they're the theatrical cuts.

Comment

Director's cut DVDs are probably significantly cheaper, especially since you won't need a BR player for them. I have the BR set, and it should be noted that they ARE NOT the director's cuts, they're the theatrical cuts.
                            Glad you brought that up! What's the difference between directors cut and theatrical?

Comment

Glad you brought that up! What's the difference between directors cut and theatrical?
                              Varies by film...

TMP -- Robert Wise thought of the original theatrical cut as more of a rough cut than a final version, so he was thrilled at the chance to reapproach it. They redid a ton of the visual effects shots, remixed the score, and (re)edited scenes such that the run time was about 4-5 minutes longer.

WOK -- Nick Meyer isn't big on the idea of director's cuts, but he went ahead and opted to include a number extended scenes cut down for the theatrical release, ending up about 5 minutes longer

SFS -- As far I know there were no changes made to the film, the only significant contribution being a cleanup of the audio track and including audio commentaries (like with all the Director's Cuts)

TVH -- Same story as SFS (Leonard Nimoy directed both)

TFF -- Paramount rejected Shatner's demands to shoot new effects shots and put them into a Director's Cut, so the DC is pretty much exactly the same as the theatrical

TUC -- Nick Meyer returned to the director's seat and took much the same approach as with WOK. Re-edited some scenes to make them clearer. I don't know how much it affected run time

Comment

Working...
                              X