This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gatebuilders39 View Post

I think the main question is does SG fans want a dark show like BSG? or the current format with plenty of humor.
    Humor and action and the team, plus some truly great villains. Great formula. (which is actually Sg-1 formula too.) The real question to ask the TPTB is,

"If it ain't broken, why break it?"

PS -- yeah, I know the saying is fix it!
    --------------------------------------------

ALso, there is really no way of knowing how long this campaign will last, so looking to 2010 is not really that strange. Look at the Jericho fans. They have a table at Comicon. Season 2 ended last year, so that puts their initial campaign starting over 2 years ago. I can say that we need more people involved in leadership for that to happen. Here's the thing, in order for anything this massive to 1 -- work, and 2 -- last, there has to be enough people to do smaller tasks -- so that there is not a huge amount of work left to the few. I know the earlier campaigns hurt this aspect tremendously. As did the circumstances of the cancellation, but there are still lots of fans, and we need people to volunteer to participate. I mean it could be as simple as being sure that the threads (like on sci-fi) get bumped up to the top of the list daily -- not to difficult, but it takes one more task of the leaderships to-do list. It could be helping to compose a weekly or monthly update. It could be answering email questions. It could be volunteering at a con to pass out flyers..... None of these things in themselves are massively time consuming, yet, you get a group people dedicated to do these things, and next thing you know, we have a much larger reponse and participation in the campaign.

Check out the Jericho fans. While they are about 3x our size in viewers, I would guess that fans that attend cons for each show is either equal or in SGA's favor --meaning, we have some pretty enthusiastic fans. They still have very active members. One thing that is a huge disappointment to me is that while SGA has a huge number of fans, clearly evident by the amount of traffic on GW on the finale, but many of those fans while upset are not willing to participate. Maybe it is our average age -- and have lots of stuff going on, but really, some of the tasks I mentioned are not huge time commitments.

Well, those are just my thoughts about this tonight. If you are not already involved, I hope you consider pitching in to help. And if you can't help with any of the behind the scenes work, please set aside a little bit of time and money for printing and mailing the mock order form postcards, starting Friday, July 10.
    Are you a Stargate Atlantis fan who wants to save Stargate Atlantis? Join the campaign to save Atlantis!
    Save Atlantis Campaign Website
    Campaign Materials (flyers, postcards, etc.,.)

And join the discussion here:
    NEW!! Save Atlantis Campaign Forum
    Gateworld.com Save SGA thread
    SciFi.com Save SGA thread

Comment

Originally posted by SGAfan4life View Post
      "If it ain't broken, why break it?"
      Or "If it's gotten a bit run-down, try to fix it up again instead of throwing it out and getting a new one!".

And if you can't help with any of the behind the scenes work, please set aside a little bit of time and money for printing and mailing the mock order form postcards, starting Friday, July 10.
      Will do! Was just waiting for the date! Thanks for keeping us updated!

Oh, and I just have to ask, since I've never been involved in anything like this before: Is there even a point in me writing a personal letter, do they actually read them, or do they just count them and toss them in a pile?

Comment

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....35&postcount=1
        sigpic

Comment

Nevertheless, Howe says, “I haven't had an e-mail for two months despite the fact that my name is very prominent in chat rooms and on message boards. When we cancelled Stargate Atlantis, I had upward of 150 e-mails a day for six months. So the fact that I've had fewer than 20 e-mails in four months says to me that people really do understand why we're doing this.”

Thanks for sharing this! It is very relevant to the campaign, because it does tell us that they do see the number of emails they get.

Unfortunately, he thinks that the drop-off in email was due to fans "understand{ing} why we're are doing this." Apparently he and TPTB have failed to understand how fans really feel about the cancellation. Unfortunately many are just so fed up, they have just given up completely. They feel that what they want doesn't matter, and to be honest, all the antics by some of TPTB, on top of fans having tried with other shows, and gotten nowhere -- well, it simply does not encourage fans to feel that their voice is ever heard, and in this case, I think what fans felt is that what fans wanted was completely ignored. Any fan poll I've ever seen had about a 90% vote toward continuing Atlantis, followed by SG-1, and then SGU. I do not understand how something with numbers like that would lead TPTB to believe that fans now understand the cancellation. I think it is far more likely that SGU will not have the same carry-over of fans that SGA did. If that happens, it will be because of the lack by TPTB to recognize what fans wanted. Anyhow, it is very clear that TPTB need to be reminded that the fans still want SGA. **(I added this bit not to encourage discussion of old events, but simply to bring some newer members up to date on the history of the campaign and to comment on how Howe's comment is relevant to and important to the direction of our upcoming campaign. If you want to discuss this further, please visit forum.SaveAtlantis.com -- the campaign forum.)

Well, I think it's time to start emailing again. Let's see, the campaign was in full swing in January, so in addition to the snail mail, Howe was getting 150 emails a day. That's great news, since it is impossible for us to know how many people actually participate.

Let's top that 150 this go around!
          Let's start a sign up list on the campaign forum. Or I can start a thread on sci-fi. GW is a little tighter on what they allow as new threads but either of those would be fine. Anyone willing to volunteer to post that and maintain the thread by keep it near the top? -- reqrs a daily visit and a post with something as simple as "bump" or "just checking in" written in the post.

I am not certain what you would need to leave out of the email to be sure it gets through filters. Maybe it isn't filtered. Be sure to keep the letters polite. Try to persuade them, not anger them, and impress them again with the numbers of us that still want SGA back.

Also, I doubt that they read to many individual letters, but if you want to write one, it certainly can't hurt. Everyone you ask about this will give you a different answer -- some say it works, others will say it's a waste. At this point, it may be helpful though, since we are pre-launch of phase two, so letters will not be as numerous, and therefore are more likely to be read.

So here's an idea -- everyone can send an email a day and send in a card or two a day during the campaign. Not too much, but if you are consistent over that two month period, they will see that we aren't going away. Try to encourage others to join in as well. And if the mailing 2 a day is too much, try 10 or 15 a week -- all at once.

Also, you can start with the emails before the campaign mailing starts. Right now, just send letters urging them to bring Atlantis back, and once this is underway, send emails that mention ordering Season 6, and that you will be sending in your order via snail mail, and for them to expect it soon.

Any thoughts or ideas about this or ideas to improve this?
          Are you a Stargate Atlantis fan who wants to save Stargate Atlantis? Join the campaign to save Atlantis!

Comment

Has everyone here signed the petition to save Stargate Atlantis? It's never too late for them to bring the show back. I'm not going to watch the Stargate Universe show. I'm determined I'm not going to watch a show that should have never come into existence. I want Stargate Atlantis back!

Comment

what should i exactly say,beside we want SGA Back in the email. will they read it, if there is no title in the subject line.

i think we should send the same words in e-mails mail to them. instead of each us writing a diffterent email. then they can receive plenty of emails in one week.

is the mock forms ready or not.

Comment

Originally posted by stclare View Post
                I bought the tickets with my mates at Pegasus 4 for Pegasus 5 2010 but i think they will call it something different as it will now be a mix of the three shows which im kind of pissed about as i have no interest in seeing the other 2 shows, but hey thems the breaks!
                is it Wolfevent running the pegasus 2010 event.

Comment

Originally posted by gatebuilders39 View Post
                  is it Wolfevent running the pegasus 2010 event.
                  Yes it is.
                  sigpic
                  banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

i will truely miss atlantis. i dont see the reason to stop a show thats doing so well and the ratings are going up. if its money related then how do they think they can afford to make the new universe series. and these acusations that its so it can get a younger audience well im insulted. the actorg arent old and mose stargate fand are teenagers and young adults anyway so scifi thinking theyl get a gounger audiance is rubish. im also annoyed as i watch sg1 and atlantis on sky2 everyday and it gives me the drive to carry on with my life. it makes me feel good and makes me laugh. i dont know what id do without it. they better make more than one atlantis movie if they dont do a 6th season. personaly i dont see why then cant just make one more 6th season aand then rap it and not make more. i mean sg1 went on for 10 yeaars and near the end ther were making both atlantis and sg1 why not do the same with universe to start with. it would please the fans more. i woul.d certainly pertition for a 6th season of atlantis and would hild a campaingn if i could. pleas scifi make one last season for the sake of the fans if nothing else.please please please save atlantis!

Comment

i want atlanti bakc aswell as sg1 and atlantis are the only scifi shows i watch and they give me the drive i need to carry on each day. i dont know what ill do without them. i watch them every day and they are the only shows that make me laugh or smile. pleas save atlantis on only fore one mone season. pleas for the sake of the fans.

Comment

Nevertheless, Howe says, “I haven't had an e-mail for two months despite the fact that my name is very prominent in chat rooms and on message boards. When we cancelled Stargate Atlantis, I had upward of 150 e-mails a day for six months. So the fact that I've had fewer than 20 e-mails in four months says to me that people really do understand why we're doing this.”[/COLOR]
                        No it doesnt... it's just that fans can't be bothered and have moved on..... maybe it will become apparant when SGU airs..

It just shows how out of touch with the fans these people are.... fans have stopped sending him emails because they don't care anymore.... the ptb have made it more than obvious over the last few months that they have no interest now in SGA at all.... even a movie seems unlikely...

. and if Howe thinks the lack of emails is because fans understand why SGA was cancelled then he is sorely mistaken.

I'll start sending him my emails again telling him there is no way I understand why SGA was cancelled..
                        sigpic

Comment

Those of you new to this forum, please stop by the campaign website, and join the campaign. Phase 2 starts next Friday, July 10th, which likely would have been season 6 start in the U.S. on sci-fi. The DVD release just happened, and I hope will generate new interest in saving Atlantis.

ANd I agree with what you said about Howe misunderstanding our wishes. It is not that fans don't want Atlantis, or that they now understand the wisdom (even in jest, that is difficult to write!) of their decisions, it is that fans have been discouraged over and over and over by circumstances surrounding the cancellation. It is rare that a shows creator is responsible for it's cancellation. Usually they want the show to continue, and are grateful to fans for their support and devotion. Also, not the case here. This is a rare opportunity for big business to step in and be the "good guys" and bring SGA back. Hopefully this second phase will convince them there is still a sizable contingent of us, and that we represent the wishes of many more fans. I mean, how many people will continue to fight in the face of these odds? Not many. It just goes to show how truly excellent SGA was, and still could be.

Long Live Atlantis!

Comment

On a different note, how many people are thinking of throwing SGA season 5 watching parties? I think it would be a great idea to have a party, and have the campaign materials printed and the postcard ready for guests to fill in at the parties too. One member has already told me a friend is doing this, and that she will be bringing mock order form season 6 postcards to fill out at the party. You could even ask guests to print out their own and bring them to the party -- maybe even offer a prize for most filled out in one evening I'm thinking that maybe an earlier season of SGA or a printed out campaign T-shirt could be the prize. Click on the Campaign materials to see the T-shirt decals. Campaign starts July 10th. Parties could be that night or the next, as that is when Season 6 would have likely aired in the States.

Comment

Originally posted by SGAfan4life View Post
                              One member has already told me a friend is doing this, and that she will be bringing mock order form season 6 postcards to fill out at the party.
                              Have they been made? Is this the new postcard that was going to be made, or is it something else?

As for the rest, well, I have neither enough friends nor money to do something like that.

( Then again, if you consider the amount of money I've spent ( and will be spending ) on SG-1/SGA merchandise these past 10 or so months, I think I've done at least something to show my interest... )

Comment

SGA made the Tubey Awards finals for
                                Most Painful Series Cancellation
                                Vote here (under Tab 9-10)
                                http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com...s/nominees.php
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X