This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did H.G.Wells create the wraith?

Just finished watching the movie "Time Machine" and saw there a guy called "morlock" that feeds on humans and got a lot of mind-controlled "siblings".Besides, look at the pic i found: isn't that guy somehow looking like a wraith?
    http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...s1_468x645.jpg

Yep my thoughts exactly...but they probably got the idea from somewhere else and again and again...hardly anything in entertainment now are new ideas they're all inspired by something.
    The BC-304... Just Try And Stop Us Now!

sigpic

Comment

The whole feeding on Humans and telepathic control thing comes from the Wraith being based on Vampires (or the Wraith inspiring the Vampire mythologies, as is the case within the Stargate universe).

They have a similar look, (only in that movie - Wells described them as being grayish and covered in fur) but it's probably a conscience - The movie was trying to depict what Humans might come to look like after generations upon generations of living underground, while Atlantis seemed to try to create a cross between a Vampire and a bug, perhaps with a ghostly feel thrown in.

Comment

How about this guy, Daolon Wong from Jackie Chan Adventures
        He looks like Todd, and what's most important, he has palm suckers
        It's all about startegy. Out-maneuvering the opposition, bending him to your will.
        -Dexter-

Comment

holy crap XD a cartoon Todd

Comment

What about Michael Moorcock, who created Elric of Melniboné in the 1960s - an albino emperor who is fed and strengthened through his soul-sucking vampiric sword, Stormbringer?

(According to Mr. Moorcock, Elric is - in part - based on Zenith the Albino, a character created Anthony Skene in the early 1900s)

das
            sigpic

Comment

Yet another Wraith lookalike in Hellboy 2!

www.stargatetew.com - An Unofficial Unreal Tournament 3 Total Conversion

www.moddb.com - Change The Game

Comment

Originally posted by orion2sirius View Post
                Yet another Wraith lookalike in Hellboy 2!

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/new...y2-poster4.jpg
                Oh, I LOVE Nuada! He is fashioned to a point after Moorcock's Elric...but there is a reason for that.

Nuada is based on Irish Legend - Nuada Silver Hand - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuada_Airgetl%C3%A1m

In the movie, Balor had the Silver Hand - not Nuada - but the characters are drawn from the same well, so to speak. Also drawn from that well is another Moorcock character, Corum, who has a silver hand and who is The Eternal Champion, as is Elric (multiverse stuff!). Confusing, but basically they all come from the same concept, whereas the Wraith are actually based on vampire mythology (so says Rob Cooper), which draws from a different well. However, that's not to say that the creators of SGA didn't borrow an idea or two from the same sources that Moorcock did.

das
                Last edited by Bagpuss; 26 May 2009, 04:57 AM. Reason: Requoted image tags changed to URL.
                sigpic

Comment

Actually Wraith is a Scottish word and it was a translation for "ghost or apparition". The first record was in 1513. Vampires aren't even related to the original myth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wraith
                  StarshineRoxie
                  A woman that allows herself the balance of cool wisdom and strength of heart.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starshineRoxie View Post
                    Actually Wraith is a Scottish word and it was a translation for "ghost or apparition". The first record was in 1513. Vampires aren't even related to the original myth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wraith

Ah, but right from Rob Cooper's mouth in a Q&A on Mallozzi's blog he said that they are based on vampire mythology:

dasNdanger writes: 1. In reply to a question of mine, Mr. Wright gave you most of the credit for the creation of the Wraith. So, first, THANK YOU. They are absolutely beautiful in style and design. Did you base their look on any insect in particular? If you care to share, what were some of your inspirations for their design?

RC: Mr. Wright was being generous. I was interested in putting a twist on the vampire mythology. James Robbins, our production designer and extraordinary artist, came up with much of the visual look. We always wanted them to have a dark goth-like quality.

das
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, their name doesn't change that they were based on Vampires - I assume they thought it would be silly for their space aliens to be called "Vampires" and when trying to settle on a name they drew from a pool of other mythological names and Wraith stood out to them.

Comment

Time Machine was an odd movie as it was........anyway if whoever H.G Wells is, created the Wraith It's time he spilt the beans.
                        Tst

Comment

That was a bad movie but that, SA, and hellboy have wraithlike creatures in it

Comment

I dunno whether HG Wells created the Wraith, but my dad watches 'Buck Rogers' which first aired in 1979, and they have devises called 'Stargates' that pretty much do the same thing!
                            (Probably already been mentioned somewhere on Gateworld but I think it's relevant)
                            sigpic

Comment

My rememberence of the film centres around not being able to watch it because it was such a terrible adaption (to me, anyway - no offence if anyone disagrees! But in the book the Morlocks were nothing like Wraith. Even more creepy, though.

I don't think the Wraith were based on any one thing in particular - they seem to posess elements of many myths/legends etc, as nearly everything does. Anyway, they were amazingly awesome creations!

Comment

Working...
                              X