Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R.I.P. Characters in S5 Finale (spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R.I.P. Characters in S5 Finale (spoilers)

By the season's end, we had witnessed a lot of characters in dire peril and seen Jack really up his body count (but more on that later), however there were a large number of characters that essentially died in the season ender (offscreen) whose deaths should really be noted.

I speak of course, of the remaining other survivors of Flight 815. Yes that's right, the Red-shirts.

In the scene where Sawyer and co. discover Bernard and Rose, it's clear those two have been living alone and actively avoiding Sawyer for three years. It's also made pretty clear that Bernard and Rose were the only survivors of the flaming arrow attack in 1954, which equates to the writers killing off every single one of the remaining red-shirts.

There is the slightest possibility that these red-shirts may turn up again, having also avoided Sawyer and co for three years, but this seems very unlikely.

Thus, we can account for all of the original 48 survivors. It was only in Season 4 that 815rs started to be killed without names been attached to the bodies.

By my count, one unknown woman was killed at the barracks, two women and a man were on the freighter when it exploded, one man in the flaming arrow attack (with another man set on fire) and the two men killed by the claymore mines. Also, Steve was seen alive at the barracks but not after (Darlton have said that he died there). And now, none have been seen alive after the flaming arrow attack.

This means that the Season 5 finale revealed that between 14 and 16 survivors of Flight 815 also died in the arrows attack or some time after. This is a hefty body account by any episode's standards.

Some of you may be aware that there is a lot of extra Lost source material out there (books, games, online material), with varying degress of officialness. Between these and off-hand lines identifying characters (and a cameo in Season 1 by an old guy with a rash), there are names for all but 4 of the original 48 survivors.

Since this is unlikely to appear most places, here is a homage to those characters that were killed without any note in the episodes The Shape of Things to Come, There's No Place Like Home, The Lie and The Incident :

1. Sullivan ("are you guys playing golf ?! Can i play ?") SEASON 1
    2. Lance (Hurley : "aren't you Lance ?" Ethan : "no". Hurley : "that's right, Lance is a skinny guy with glasses". Ethan : "I can see how you got us confused") SEASON 1
    3. Tracy (Sawyer read her message from the bottle on the raft) S1
    4-5. Richard, Craig (Bernard recruited them for his S.O.S sign project) S2
    6-9. Faith Harrington, George, Dexter Stubbs, Jeff Hadley (all from LOST tie-in novels)
    10-11. Elliot Maslow and girlfriend Lisa (from LOST : the video game)
    12. Janelle Granger (star of ABC.com's Season 1 diary)
    13. Larry (from Janelle's diary)
    14. Chris Dobson (star of ABC.com's Season 2 diary)
    15-18. Bob "BJ" Jones, Sally Rafflethorpe, Jake Smith, Robert D. West (from ABC.com's Messages in the Bottle)
    19. Steve Jenkins (often confused with Scott, probably died at the barracks)

20-23. Unidentified survivors, who will probably never be named now.

Other "Red-shirts" who died onscreen over the series include Scott Jackson (murdered by Ethan and often confused with Steve), Joanna Miller (the woman who drowned in early Season 1), Jerome and Doug (who died in the barracks attack in Season 4) and the infamous Neil AKA Frogurt (memorably shot dead by a flaming arrow in Season 5). Also, let us not forget the great Dr Arzt, who blew himself up with dynamite and the unloved Paolo and Nikki.

Rest in Peace Red-shirts. Your contributions went almost unnoticed, your fates were occasionally amusing and sealed from the moment you didn't get star billing or a flashback episode.

This leaves only 10 out of the 48 still alive : Jack, Kate, Sayid, Hurley, Sun, Jin, Sawyer, Claire, Rose and Walt. Also young Aaron, Bernard, Miles, Frank and Desmond are still in the game. For those interested, Cindy and 12 out of the 23 Tailies (including two kids) joined the Others and may still be alive.

Was i the only one who thought Jack was very cavalier with the lives of DHARMA folk who got between him and his objective, given they were only defending themselves ? Whilst i think Juliet is most likely dead, and Locke was proven dead after all, all others are fair game for Season 6.

I'm not convinced that Jacob is dead, because not only didn't he resist Ben, he also brought Locke to the island the first time and helped return the Oceanic 5, both major elements in his 'death'. Jacob can obviously see the future, so i doubt we can count him out just yet.

Rest In Peace nameless human props.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Working...
    X