Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wristwatch Story

The SG-1 Wristwatch Story:

Lately I've been fixated on who wore what brand and model wristwatch and when on SG-1.

Anyhow, here's what I have so far:

Seasons 1-3:
    Jack O'Neill (Mission Gear): Casio G Shock DW8300-1VT
    Jack O'Neill (civilian): MWC G10 Military Quartz

Samantha Carter (Mission Gear): Casio G Shock DW8300-1VT
    Samantha Carter (civilian): ???

Daniel Jackson (Mission Gear): Casio G Shock DW8300-1VT
    Daniel Jackson (civilian): ???

Teal'C (Mission Gear): Casio G Shock DW8300-1VT
    Teal'C (civilian): None

General Hammond: Omega Seamaster
    Doctor Fraiser: ???

=====================================================================
    Season 4:
    Jack O'Neill (Mission Gear): MWC G10 Military Quartz (with Velcro closure cover)
    Jack O'Neill (civilian): MWC G10 Military Quartz

Samantha Carter (Mission Gear): ??? (with Velcro closure cover)
    Samantha Carter (civilian): Invicta Women's Pro Diver Model 8939

Daniel Jackson (Mission Gear): ??? (with Velcro closure cover)

Teal'C (Mission Gear): None

Season 5:
    Jack O'Neill (Mission Gear): ??? (with Velcro closure cover)
    Begining with episode 12 (Wormhole Extreme): Suunto Vector
    Jack O'Neill (civilian): ???

Samantha Carter (civilian): Invicta Women's Pro Diver Model 8939

Daniel Jackson (Mission Gear): ??? (with Velcro closure cover)

Season 6:
    Jack O'Neill (Mission Gear): Suunto Vector
    Jack O'Neill (civilian): ???

Samantha Carter (civilian): St. Moritz ?

Jonas Quinn (Mission Gear): ??? (with Velcro closure cover)
    Jonas Quinn (civilian): ??? (appears to be a Suunto model in first episode)

Season 7:
    Jack O'Neill (civilian): Suunto Vector & ???

Jonas Quinn (Mission Gear): Suunto Vector
    Jonas Quinn (civilian): ???

Daniel Jackson (Mission Gear): Suunto Vector

Season 8:
    Jack O'Neill (civilian): Suunto Vector & ???

Samantha Carter (Mission Gear): Suunto Vector

Teal'C (Mission Gear): Suunto Vector

George Hammond (Guest appearance): Suunto X-Lander

Season 9:
    Cam Mitchell (Mission Gear): Suunto Vector
    Cam Mitchell (civilian): Suunto Vector & ???

Vala Mal Doran (Mission Gear): None
    Vala Mal Doran (civilian): None

General Landry: ???

Season 10:
    Cam Mitchell (Mission Gear): Suunto Vector X-Black
    Cam Mitchell (civilian): Suunto Vector & ???

Vala Mal Doran (Mission Gear): Suunto Vector
    Vala Mal Doran (civilian): ???

General Landry: ???

Are you an SG-1 Insider (prop department etc.)?

I would welcome any information pertaining to specific brand & model wristwatches worn by the actors to complete this trivia page.
    Last edited by fwupow; 09 September 2009, 09:50 PM. Reason: update
    sigpic My Twit-name (@fwupow) is the same!

how you are able to get some of the names is a mystery. if the writers did their research the watches would be military issue so there is a start. i hope you find your answer.
    Some say that he has only one ear.
    And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
    All we know is he's called
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks STIG.

Good Advice. I actually got some of the names from another post here in Gateworld but I question their accuracy.

I'm pretty sure that I've nailed the watch that Sam Carter was wearing in Season 4. I used a screen cap from the episode "Upgrades" (one of my favorites). I'll try to post a screen cap next.

Comment

Here is screen cap from Season 4 episode 3 "Upgrades" of Samantha Carter's wristwatch.

It appears to be an Invicta Women's Pro Diver Collection Watch, Model#: 8939

Oops! I may have gotten this one wrong. The band design on Carter's watch more closely resembles that of the current Ladies Omega Seamaster Professional 300m
        Last edited by fwupow; 24 May 2009, 12:42 PM. Reason: add image

Comment

Now for Jack's watch.

I haven't identified this one yet. It appears to be a simple military style field watch with a NATO nylon band.

Unique characteristic is that it has a dodecagon (12 sided) bezel, black dial with white or nightglow numerals.

It also looks as though it may have a triangle shape on the dial at the 12 O'clock position.

It appears to be an earlier version of the Military Watch Company's MWC G10BH/G 2008 Military Quartz.
          Jack was wearing this watch from the beginning of the series.
          Last edited by fwupow; 20 May 2009, 03:36 AM. Reason: add image

Comment

An interesting tidbit of trivia:

I read somewhere that Richard Dean Anderson specifically requested the SG-1 Props department to source Suunto watches which were popular with military personnel.

RDA began wearing the Suunto Vector in the Season 5 episode 12 "Wormhole Extreme" where his character went undercover as a "Military Technical Adviser" to the fictional TV show "Wormhole Extreme" CORRECTION: Rick's Suunto made an appearance during Daniel's briefing in Season 5 episode 10 '2001', but he is also wearing the older wristwatch with the Velcro cover in most other scenes.

Might RDA have found out from SG-1's real life Military Adviser that all the cool soldiers favored the Suunto?
            Last edited by fwupow; 11 August 2010, 09:10 PM. Reason: trivia accuracy correction

Comment

WOW!
              This took me several hours but I finally found the only watch that qualifies as a match to what Jack was wearing above.

It appears to be the circa 2001 version of the Military Watch Company's MWC G10BH/G 2008 Military Quartz

Comment

Here is Jack O'Neill's G-Shock from Season 1, episode 1 "Children of the Gods":

This is the Casio G Shock DW8300-1VT.
                This Watch is no longer in production. It is rare and hard to find.
                It is easy to confuse with the DW8300-1VQD which has a slightly different color scheme.

The SG-1 team wore this watch on away missions throughout Seasons 1-3. This watch continued to be used by other non-SG-1 personnel who went off-world in SG team apparel. The watches can still be seen in Season 6.

ADDITIONAL TRIVIA: In this close-up from when Teal'C grabs O'Neill's wrist when SG-1 is imprisoned on Chulak, the watch is in Countdown Timer mode (Indicated by "TR" in upper left corner of display). It is showing the time to be 18 minutes after midnight or "00:18" military time and with 1 hour 57 minutes and 14 seconds left in the countdown.
                Last edited by fwupow; 26 September 2010, 01:15 AM. Reason: Added some trivia info

Comment

Here's a screen cap of General Hammond's watch from his guest appearance in Season 8, episode 12 "Prometheus Unbound".

It appears to be a Suunto X-Lander. This model was introduced in the fall of 2005. Hopefully, DSD got to keep it.

Like the Vector, it's a big fat bulky watch which really isn't worth the trouble unless your out hiking and climbing all over the countryside.

Update: Although the Vector is large, it is very lightweight. Most watches feel heavier on the wrist, in fact.
                  Last edited by fwupow; 05 September 2009, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Since I can't help myself, here's another screen cap of the watch Jonas Quinn was wearing in the first episode of season 6 "Redemption Pt 1":

It looks quite similar to the Casio Men's Illuminator Sport Watch Model: 87H-1V, but something's a little off. It's very hard to match up watches that are several years old because there are no images on the net of old watches. There is no online watch museum/gallery that I can find. There are plenty of watch collectors around the world but they don't publish online photo galleries of their collections.

BTW: I wonder if this wasn't Corin Nemec's personal watch, since it was quickly ditched and not seen throughout the remainder of the season (or perhaps because it was, ostensibly, Jonas' watch from Colona).
                    Last edited by fwupow; 09 September 2009, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Here's a couple of screen caps of Samantha Carter's wristwatch from Season 1-15 "Singularity" and Season 2-2 "In The Line of Duty"

I have no idea what this watch is. It appears to be a plain & simple women's military field watch, but I can't find anything currently on the market that looks like it.

If you look close at the scene from "In The Line of Duty" where Carter is hugging Cassandra, you'll see a continuity error where Carter's wristwatch is showing at the start of the embrace but is covered by her sleeve on the final segment.
                      Last edited by fwupow; 20 May 2009, 09:07 AM.

Comment

You must REALLY like watches
                        "What we need now is a tactical retreat. Did you see the episode on Stargate where they found themselves on a planet with a culture based loosely on Earth Athens and Sparta?"

Comment

Not especially. Watch collecting is too expensive for me. The variety of makes and models is practically endless.

Age has educated me about what I want from a watch and I found it in a $15 made-in-China item from Wal*Mart. It has large numerals for the time and the Day-of-week & Day-of-month are always showing along with the time. It also has large easy-to-press buttons that are basically flush with the case so that you don't get any inadvertant activations.

My only other watch is a Fossil which my employer gave me and I couldn't be less interested in wearing it. It's a huge, heavy chunk of metal which doesn't tell you the day of the week and I can't see any way to adjust the band to fit my wrist even if I did want to wear it.

I just sort of drift from one interest to another. There are so many things for a person to get interested in. It's a shame we don't live longer. It's kind of like a Where's Waldo game. If you have cable or satellite DVR, try it yourself. When you see somebody's watch showing, pause and zoom and try to find out what kind of Watch they're wearing. It might be a $100,000.00 Audemars Piguet which would tell you how much of a snob they are.
                          Last edited by fwupow; 22 May 2009, 09:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

So it's a way you can learn about an individual, by what watch they wear?
                            "What we need now is a tactical retreat. Did you see the episode on Stargate where they found themselves on a planet with a culture based loosely on Earth Athens and Sparta?"

Comment

Well, perhaps, it adds a little something, but you know you can't really peg somebody by such things.

Comment

Working...
                              X