This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Female Characters

You know, I'm curious, is Stargate franchise ever gonna start having 'lead' female roles instead of female 'supporting roles' or 'sidekicks?'

I would consider Sam to have had a pretty major role in SG1, while it may not have been just her as the only lead character she did have a main role.
    "What we need now is a tactical retreat. Did you see the episode on Stargate where they found themselves on a planet with a culture based loosely on Earth Athens and Sparta?"

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
      You know, I'm curious, is Stargate franchise ever gonna start having 'lead' female roles instead of female 'supporting roles' or 'sidekicks?'
      Not sure what you mean. Do you not consider Sam a lead female? Weir was the leader of the Atlantis expedition for 3 seasons, though I'll admit her role was pretty below what it could have been.
      Sig by Pandora's Box
      sigpic

Comment

Are you kidding? Sam is not on the lead role.. She's on the supporting role.. Yes, she's part of the main cast but that's different than "lead." In any respect, Jack O'Neal was suppose to be the lead until Stargate franchise couldn't pay for him anymore. Then Mitchel somehow took his place.

And Weir? You'd think because she's the 'leader' of Atlantis, she's the lead, no... Shepard is on the lead role.

Unless I'm understanding this whole lead, supporting, roles wrong then feel free to correct me

Comment

you mean will they ever have a show that has 'starring....' before the title?

no

at least not until the network folks get over their idea that all lead characters MUST be male to appeal to the inner geek in their desired demo - young males 18-44 - and that the 'prime' roles for females is to pretty up the place and support the male

It's not necessarily the writers, it's the network execs and their predisposition towards male leads
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

i think i know what you mean. like, instead of jack o'neill, jaclyn o'neill?

i consider sam a leading character, but 'female' leading character. but would stargate ever let a 'woman' lead the entire thing (show & team)? with these writers, i doubt it.

(sooooooooo glad amanda's got her shot as *lead* in sanctuary )
            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
              i think i know what you mean. like, instead of jack o'neill, jaclyn o'neill?

i consider sam a leading character, but 'female' leading character. but would stargate ever let a 'woman' lead the entire thing (show & team)? with these writers, i doubt it.

(sooooooooo glad amanda's got her shot as *lead* in sanctuary )
              Yea, I know about Sanctuary and that's exactly what I'm talking about.. And that's probably the exact reason why Amanda left Atlantis.. it's such a dead end job for her in Stargate. (btw, they really should get rid of her suppositely French accent... it ..just..doesn't sound all that great...lol

I understand the political side of it all but things are changing fast and they'd be surprise on how much ratings they can get for promoting a "lead" female character then again, it also depends on how they write them. If that ever happens, I hope they don't stereotype how a "female" should be like they stereotype most of the male roles. "macho, etc etc etc.." I know I'm probably a little bias here

Comment

Don't think so it will ever happen.

Just like Skydiver said - it's all about that inner geek's dream role which it will be always a male, supreme character. It's not that bad, but we are living in XXI century. Things are changein`. They should respect that. Nothing by force, of course, and when somebody has grew up on the series - it's not that bad thing. You can get used to it
                '- Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!
                - Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth.
                - Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?
                - Yes.
                [long pause] - Friend!!'

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                  Not sure what you mean. Do you not consider Sam a lead female? Weir was the leader of the Atlantis expedition for 3 seasons, though I'll admit her role was pretty below what it could have been.
                  And when Weir vanished, Sam took over command of Atlantis for a year. However, in season four, the character seemed more like a supporting character, then a main character.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee11 View Post
                    I would consider Sam to have had a pretty major role in SG1, while it may not have been just her as the only lead character she did have a main role.
                    True and then she moved up a step to lead the team from season 8.
                    Some say that he has only one ear.
                    And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
                    All we know is he's called
                    sigpic

Comment

In any respect, Jack O'Neal was suppose to be the lead until Stargate franchise couldn't pay for him anymore.
                      The way I heard it RDA bowed out to spend more time with his family in California. His young daughter was starting to grow up without him there. Are you saying you heard differently?

By the way, Magnus has an English accent not French. Unless I'm wrong about Jack the Ripper being in England.

Comment

Yea, I know about Sanctuary and that's exactly what I'm talking about.. And that's probably the exact reason why Amanda left Atlantis.. it's such a dead end job for her in Stargate. (btw, they really should get rid of her suppositely French accent... it ..just..doesn't sound all that great...lol

I understand the political side of it all but things are changing fast and they'd be surprise on how much ratings they can get for promoting a "lead" female character then again, it also depends on how they write them. If that ever happens, I hope they don't stereotype how a "female" should be like they stereotype most of the male roles. "macho, etc etc etc.." I know I'm probably a little bias here
                        French....

Seriously?

Mon Dieu! *rolls eyes*

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Maybe the fact that at least the original SG-1 was military based could be the reason that they had a male lead and not just that us inner geeks need to be able to project themselves onto a strong male character due to female fraternization insecurities. The IRL odds of a woman leading a team or even being on a team like that are astronomical (pun intended). Atlantis might be civilian run but I still think the teams operating out of it were military based.
                          sigpic
                          In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
                          "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Coela Bellatore View Post
                            Maybe the fact that at least the original SG-1 was military based could be the reason that they had a male lead and not just that us inner geeks need to be able to project themselves onto a strong male character due to female fraternization insecurities. The IRL odds of a woman leading a team or even being on a team like that are astronomical (pun intended). Atlantis might be civilian run but I still think the teams operating out of it were military based.
                            Nicely said.

I'd green but it won't let me.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              you mean will they ever have a show that has 'starring....' before the title?
                              Never watched Xena I take it. Although I should check on before or after the title. Or Charmed.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                              X