This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vladius View Post
    This is true, except that SGU is going for "darker," while Star Trek is going for "younger." They're not mutually exclusive, but I can see Trek being a lot happier than the BSG vibe intended for SGU.
    I'd have to agree with you there. Star Trek is the "Iron Man" to SGUs' "Dark Knight". One has a very light mood, with hints of a darker side, while the other(even though we have not really seen much of it) appears to be a much darker, more "realistic" approach. In saying that, a lot of my friends who have never been into SciFi, really enjoyed Star Trek, so maybe it can be kind of a "stepping stone" for newcomers to SciFi.

Comment

Originally posted by blakey View Post
      I'd have to agree with you there. Star Trek is the "Iron Man" to SGUs' "Dark Knight". One has a very light mood, with hints of a darker side, while the other(even though we have not really seen much of it) appears to be a much darker, more "realistic" approach. In saying that, a lot of my friends who have never been into SciFi, really enjoyed Star Trek, so maybe it can be kind of a "stepping stone" for newcomers to SciFi.
      Assuming either of them is as good as Iron Man or the Dark Knight. (Believe it or not, I haven't seen TDK yet.)

Comment

Originally posted by Vladius View Post
        Assuming either of them is as good as Iron Man or the Dark Knight. (Believe it or not, I haven't seen TDK yet.)
        I actually hated the Dark Knight, I thought it was kinda boring.
        Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
          I didn't hate it, but it was so hyped up that by the time I saw it I was a bit disappointed .
          Sig by Pandora's Box
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
            Finally, true believers!

Partially, the reason I haven't seen it is that it's a completely pretentious attempt at an "art" film and a completely lame attempt at a comic book film. It either has gigantic plot holes and general ridiculousness because of it being a comic book movie, or it's a masterpiece of our era. It can't be both.

Comment

I think Star Trek has always been character driven, moreso than Stargate. I'm afraid I don't think the success of the new Trek movie will help Stargate out too much. It's brought in some new fans to Star Trek (especially the original series), which is nice for me as a die-hard Trek fan, but I don't think this Trek movie will effect Stargate any more than a Spiderman or Batman movie would, or a Star Wars movie.
              "Yo, Adrian!" -Rocky in Rocky
              "That'll be the Day" -John Wayne in The Searchers

Comment

Originally posted by Mugwuffin View Post
                I saw the new Trek yesterday and I have to say as more of casual viewer of Trek more than a fan I would have to say it was very good lots of action and humour as Jenks pointed out... it also had a bit of a heart felt core which is always good but I doubt SGU will be anything like it, SGU looks like it will be more serious not so much BSG style but nothing like old Stargate in terms of humour and not so much like this new Star Trek.

So I wouldnt expect people who like this new movie to get into SGU because they will be quite different in terms of direction and focus.
                Me & mum saw the new Trek movie yesterday as well, an I've always been a BIG Trek fan through the original to Enterprise and I have loved them all in various degrees, i.e. some are more of favourite, than others.

We both absolutely LOVED the new Trek and I had my reservations as not always a great fan of pre quals BUT that said it was AWESOME cant wait for another one. It had in house remarks for die hard fans but non Trek fans wouldn’t have felt left out, as they most likely wouldn’t pick up on them anyway, an the pictures was packed out mid week so a lot people turn up, I did notice a lot of family groups though.

It was fun, fast paced and action adventure and fair bit of humour all through, much more like the original Star Trek with sorta 21st century feel.

AND don’t think this will effect SGU at all coz sorry IMHO the movie is everything SGU is not thankfully, i.e. fun, entertaining and pretty much non stop action adventure, not deep dark or edgy and depressing etc. I going back to see it again at the weekend with my sister and my nephew whos 12 as he has just gotten into the Voyager repeats on Virgin 1, an my sis sure as hell didn’t let him watch BSG an neither will she let him see SGU for pretty much the same reasons, plus SGU isnt a show she fancies either but he has seen some SG1 but more SGA though. I'm more the Stargate fan than she is, shes an occasional viewer.

Sorry again IMHO anyone seeing the new Trek and then expecting SGU to match up will be sorely disappointed, either way I dont think it will make much difference to SGU.
                Attached Files
                Atlantis Rocks

sigpic SGA the right people in the right place

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  I've been reading I bit about the new Star Trek movie, and it seems to be a younger feeling version of Star Trek with more humour and action, and also being more character driven. To me this sounds like it brings it pretty much in line which what SGU is aiming for, and given that the new Star Trek sounds like it will be a hit (and will most likely spawn more movies than a series), does this open up the possibility for Stargate to capitalise on this audience? Could SGU fill the gap between ST movies for a new found interest in the genre?

Discuss.
                  I think so.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X