This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 7 64-bit edition RC

So... I've been fooling around with Windows 7 RC, the preview release for Windows 7, due out in Q3-Q4 of 2009. I would like to say its an interesting operating system. It certainly does feel a little bit more snazzy. So, here is an OSX fan's opinion of Microsoft Windows 7.

Let us start with the Graphical User Interface.

Spoiler:

The graphical user interface is a remarkable piece of technology which allowed the common man to use computers in a manner so far unheard of until the 1980s, in which Apple and Microsoft whisked out their GUI capable operating systems. As you can see, the operating system does possess, like its Vista counterpart, a tremendous amount of transparency. Whilst it does give the operating system a more refined feel, and a relieving break from XP and 95-98, it leaves less to be desired, and goes overboard with the transparency. It does seem to be disableable. Must keep that in mind.

The taskbar at the top does seem to act in some ways to Apple's Dock, with icons at the top that link and open certain programs. Only one Application icon is linked to all the windows. Hovering over the icon will display all open windows, and you can even hover over the window previews to alternate between full screen windows. Of course, the task bar can be positioned anywhere on the screen, much like in Windows Vista and earlier.

Thankfully however, the column bar on the side has seemingly disappeared, perhaps a blessing in disguise. In regards to the GUI, I would give it a 7/10. Whilst some transparency is nice in an operating system, it makes work productivity incredibly annoying. I do have to say however, that the bundled wallpapers with Windows 7 are amazing. As in, I'm importing them to Leopard ASAP. Leopard does have some decent wallpapers that come with it, but many however are leftover bundles from Tiger, Panther, Puma, Cheetah and whatever other cat has come out since the introduction of OS X.

Among one of the bundled applications is Windows Internet Explorer 8. Much like its Windows Internet Explorer 7 counterpart, as well as its rivals Firefox, Safari, Opera, and Chrome, it possesses tabbed browsing. Of course, it does seem to continue to accept bars of whatever type that I don't want. Seriously, I don't want to continue having to hide my AVG antivirus task bar each time I open the browser. Also, typing does seem to lag quite a bit in Internet Explorer. Just typing this post seems incredibly slow.

Doesn't seem all that different from other tabbed browsers. Not enough... well, granted its Internet Explorer, nothing could be enough... to make me want to switch from Firefox back to Internet Explorer. I think the last time I actually used Internet Explorer for anything longer than fifteen minutes was when I had a browser hijack code that kept setting my home page to some craigslist wannabe that made me want to send my 12GB Windows XP computer through the frakking window.

Spoiler:

The bundled apps seem to be massively lacking. Windows Mail, Windows Calendar and some other applications appear to be missing. Whilst they are not earth shattering, nor do I really care, it is still something you would expect to ship with a Release Candidate, the thing you're putting up. A preview of the final package so to speak.

I will update as I explore. So expect another post tomorrow. Please read and provide feedback.

Thank You,
    Rarocks24
    http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.
Working...
X