Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek X1 -Open Discussion for those who have seen the movie

Is what the new movie should be called.

I hate it so much there is not a word for it.
    I got nothing!

Seen it then I take it for you to come to this conclusion?
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Well I thought it about time we had a discussion about star trek 11. And I thought I start off.

Well where do you start, I should warn you now, I am a trek fan and not afraid to rip this to peices, one word at a time, one frame at a time if neccessary, it trek the greatest science fiction show ever created an it deserve scrutiny and the loving.

So where do you start as reimaginations go, it not as bad as the new James bond films, it maneage just about maintain the feel of trek, just about mind you. The creators may of got confused this is a complete imagination to such extent you might as well throw out 700 hours worth of storyline, countless hours of discussions between fans, dozens of novels, fan films, fan fiction, website, chuck them all in the bin because are pretty much all irrelevant, for these writers that is, not for me. They cannot be bothered to read up , whole well I know it already so may as well use it.

Now the opening scene it was tedious, all we detect thunder storm in space, my god give me a break, if want to get into debate or technobabble they could of at least use anomaly or time vortex but thunder storm, I burst out laughing, it was the ridiculous. Then we get this ridiculous long battle, Nero should of destroy the Kelvin in a blink of a eye, and yet they had to chick chat, evacuate and all survive except him come on.
      An why we are onto space battles, we had what 3 films since DS9, and well they still have not manage to manage what they did on DS9 in terms of scale of space battles, pathetic.

The whole car chase scene, it was cool in a way, but it was not star trek and it was pretty lame, I actually said out lout just stun ****er or tracta beam his car to a stop. Do I even have to menton ridiculous cop suite, please if I wanted dark vader lookalike I go and see a new STW film or something.

Then there the whole super nova to destroy the galaxy, lame, need I say more. I mean give a reason, the last dominion super weapon, borg galaxy wiide self destruction from embarrassment of getting butts handed to them by Janeway something to explain why a entire galaxy would threaten by something that happens about 1 once a year in the milyway.

Am I ripping this film to peices enough yet, probably not.
      Let move on so they did not get the science right, the space battles or teen angst scenes right. So what did they get right not a lot to be perfectly honest I would of said the humour and the jokes but then judging by the last time I thought Orci humor was good I re watch the film and hated every joke.
      The CGI was a high point in what we got, I mean may be I am the odd one but seeing the massive armada of klingons being annihilated by romulans, it would of been fun, or the 7 ships that first arrive at vulcan. See this is my other problem there was far to much talking about events instead of showing them.

The Kobayashi Maru simulation scene, what I thought it would be a highlight of the film was a let down big time, we did not even see him flirt with the ensign who reprogram it. And the whole scene was way over the top. The whole point was for him to prove in his arrogrant that he was better tactically than everyone else at starfleet, and yet the whole thing was to dam obvious to fool anyone. They did not even need a expert witness to know he was cheating.
      And the whole I fresh out the academy and then captain, come one. Then no mention of Captain April.
      The on bit I did like was Spock and Uhura being lovers was a good call and surprise me.
      Another thing that got on my nerves big time was how these cadidetes, who are just about to graduate from the academy, yet they acted like a bunch of kid who never been in space before or seen the station, comeon give the audience some credit for intelligence, they all been in out of space many time before and seen dozens of star ships, they should acted like it nothing special.

Whole an ignore the people who said the enterprise would look better on screen in motion. it does not, in fact it looked even worst. The bridge was a utter disaster, either go completly modern or stick to the old design not some between crap, it was slightly better than the kelvin because it was less crowded and overloaded with images but not by much.

So Star Trek 11 the second film of the summer blockbuster season, and after was a descent start form Xmen wolverine, that save that film franchise , star trek is still looking someone to save it. Did I mention I hate engineering and the water pipe scene, it was ridiculous. whole the transporter effect was just plain wrong, never mind treat the entire process like some sought of game.
      4 out of 10 and that only because Uhura and spock storyline. Other wise it would of got a 2.

I will be adding more stuff later. But the polar bear creature was good and I even jump a little during that sequence. Another thing scotty was absolutely crap and who ever the actor that played him needs to be recast for the next film. Plus new writers and directors to. Whole and the music was annoying in several scenes to.
      Last edited by knowles2; 07 May 2009, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I'll have to disagree with you on most accounts. Yes, I didn't like the fact that engineering looked like a sewage treatment plant, but although there were some continuity changes that can't be explained by alternate timelines, I didn't care, because the movie was that good. The Uhura-Spock thing I thought was forced, but those are the only blemishes. The writing was very good, the character interactions were excellent, and the SFX was mind blowing. I love the cast, and hope they do many more movies and/or a series together. While it may wipe out one Star Trek universe, you can still buy that universe on DVD and watch it to your hearts content. This universe will bring Trek back to its glory days, and may surpass it, at least in following. I give this a 10/10.

Comment

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie. I wasn't looking forward to it and had resigned myself to disappointment. I'm glad I was wrong.

Things I liked:

*The whole Spock/Uhura thing--it works surprisingly well.
          *The comedy (although, I do think they went overboard in making Kirk the comic relief)
          *The Enterprise (so shiny!)
          *McCoy!
          *Scottie!
          *Sulu!
          *Bruce Greenwood was awesome!
          *Saturn!
          *The wonderful music during the birthing scene
          *The action, the interaction, the acting....

Things I didn't like:
          *the transporter effect
          *the wildly improbable spaceship designs
          *playboy Kirk (they went just that much overboard)
          *Nero
          *Amanda's hideous outfit
          *Vulcan ears
          *the Kobayashi Maru sequence--I'm thinking he would have been a LOT more subtle

I'm thinking I'll have to see the movie again!

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Iliked it.

I loved the new 1701, except the shot head on. I loved the SFX through out the film.

I didnt like the huge temporal hic-cup that was the destruction of Vulcan and the more human-esqe Spock; thirsting for revenge.

sigpic

Comment

You would think destroying Vulcan would upset the temporal time line stuff and bring down the heat from the agents guarding it.

Wow, did I really just say that?

Damn enterprise, filling my head with these thoughts during the film.

Comment

Voyager to had temple time police to, if Janeway was a big problem what was nero.
                Last edited by knowles2; 08 May 2009, 01:15 AM.

Comment

yup.

Destorying Vulcan would probably change the course of the galaxy from that point forward.

So many things wouldn't happen... it's not even funny.

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat View Post
                    I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the movie. I wasn't looking forward to it and had resigned myself to disappointment. I'm glad I was wrong.

Things I liked:

*The whole Spock/Uhura thing--it works surprisingly well.
                    *The comedy (although, I do think they went overboard in making Kirk the comic relief)
                    *The Enterprise (so shiny!)
                    *McCoy!
                    *Scottie!
                    *Sulu!
                    *Bruce Greenwood was awesome!
                    *Saturn!
                    *The wonderful music during the birthing scene
                    *The action, the interaction, the acting....

I'm thinking I'll have to see the movie again!
                    I will give you Saturn. and spock Uhura. but that it

How could anyone like scottie. His alien buddy was better than he was.

In fact I will say the aliens make up was awesome in this. see I finding something that was good.

Comment

I'm still confussed over if it's a reimagining, or that their explaining it all off as a timeline change, because that is the easy 'reset' button stroyline.
                      So, ignoring cannon, or ignoring cannon because time was changed?
                      sigpic
                      385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Ignoring cannon cause time was changed, but why care? The origional stuff is still out on DVD.

Comment

I think if this film would be made as In the 24th century and all, it'd better

www.darkarmada.nl
                          www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Originally posted by Specter177 View Post
                            Ignoring cannon cause time was changed, but why care? The origional stuff is still out on DVD.
                            Originally posted by locutes View Post
                            I think if this film would be made as In the 24th century and all, it'd better
                            just gettign fed up with ST prequels that change cannon, but it's okay to f**k with continuity because they have the 'Temporal Reset button!' *fanfare....*

That's all.

It should have followed on from Nemisis, which, btw, wasn't as horrible as everyone says it was.
                            sigpic
                            385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

The 'romulans' didn't really seem or look like Romulans at all. Nero's face reminded me more of a human raised by Remans, thought I was watching Star Trek Nemesis again. I didn't even realize they were Romulans till they outright said it.

I really don't like the whole 'reset button' thing. I don't know where they're going with this, but it's only going to make it that much harder for us to go back and continue the Star Trek series where it left off (DS9, TNG, VOY). Will we ever be able to go back to that now that it's been completely changed?

The movie itself was pretty well done, definitely the most well put together Trek. The unfortunate consequences with the story though keep me from loving this movie.

Comment

Working...
                              X