Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Smallville beat SG-1’s longevity record?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Smallville beat SG-1’s longevity record?

Stargate SG-1 fans have been holding their heads high since the show entered the Guiness Book of World Records a few years back (story), boasting the title of the longest-running science fiction show in North America. (Only the original Doctor Who ran longer.)

The series produced 214 hours over ten seasons (1997-2006).

Meanwhile, however, another Vancouver-made genre show has been quietly creeping up on Jack O’Neill and his team. The CW’s young Superman supershow Smallville is currently finishing up its eighth season, and has already been renewed for a ninth (EW.com). That will bring it up to a tie with The X-Files (in the season count), and hot on the heels of SG-1 for the record.

So is Smallville going to tie or beat SG-1’s record?
    http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/0...gevity-record/

Repost from the general news thread:-

"Smallville" Season 10 Possible??

On the back of yesterday's announcement that The CW has renewed "Smallville" for a 9th season, the Superman Homepage did some digging to find out just who will be returning in Season 9.
    A source well positioned to know about these things told the Superman Homepage that at this point in a TV series Warner Bros. requires main cast members to sign a 2 year contract. Therefore Allison Mack (Chloe Sullivan), Aaron Ashmore (Jimmy Olsen) and Erica Durance (Lois Lane) were all signed on for a possible 9th season when they negotiated their contracts at the beginning of Season 8.

So, with Tom Welling's original contract having been for 8 seasons, his new contract (signed for season 9) would most likely also be a 2 year deal, meaning there could potentially be a season 10!

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php

Comment

Unfortuantly this is a possibility but they need to signed on 3 seasons to beat us and 2 will only equal us.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        Unfortuantly this is a possibility but they need to signed on 3 seasons to beat us and 2 will only equal us.
        At the end of its 9th season Smallville will have 196, so if it gets a full 10th then it will have 218, 4 more than SG1. so really it only needs 1 additional pick up

Comment

i hope so Superman FTW
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I didn't think 'Smallville' was sci-fi. He does come from space and all but people don't tend to refer to the Superman saga as sci-fi. Is 'comic book' a genre? Whatever it is, naturally it would be popular and long-lived, considering what it's doing is *trying* to get to the point where it connects with the old movie everyone loves, the original 'Superman' movie. Everyone wants to see Clark finally turn into Superman, etc, and they've dragged it out for eight years.

Anyway...I used to watch it. I enjoyed the first few seasons, watched sporadic episodes as it went on, really hated the latest ones when I saw them, and may watch the last episode only to see what happens. So if 'Smallville' takes the crown, I will comfort myself with the fact that I think 'SG-1' honestly stayed a better show throughout its 200+ episodes. And that 'Smallville' is based on one of the Great American Legendary Characters while 'SG-1' is based on one movie from the '90s that was kind of bad.

Comment

Originally posted by fyere View Post
              I didn't think 'Smallville' was sci-fi. He does come from space and all but people don't tend to refer to the Superman saga as sci-fi. Is 'comic book' a genre?
              How could Superman be anything other than Sci-fi?

On the topic, I really hope they do. Smallville is a great show, but I honestly thought the show was over with them losing some key cast members. I guess we'll see.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fyere View Post
                I didn't think 'Smallville' was sci-fi. He does come from space and all but people don't tend to refer to the Superman saga as sci-fi. Is 'comic book' a genre?
                Well he's alien, there are other alien, meteors, alternate dimensions, living supercomputers, time travel - all very big sci-fi themes. As for comic book as a genre, its a very fine/invisible line. some people regard it as a sub genre of sci-fi, while other regard it as a related genre that overlaps with sci-fi.

Comment

I really enjoy Smallville, but I don't think it will actually take SG-1's record. Next season will most likely be it for the show.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                    I really enjoy Smallville, but I don't think it will actually take SG-1's record. Next season will most likely be it for the show.
                    If it is a full season than it beats SG-1, but...

...do SG-1 movies count? If they do, lets add the running time up or something.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                      If it is a full season than it beats SG-1, but...

...do SG-1 movies count? If they do, lets add the running time up or something.
                      No, the movies wouldn't count.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                        No, the movies wouldn't count.
                        If Smallville wins by 2-3 42 minute episodes and SG-1 has 2 90 minute movies than I am one SG-1 fan (even though I like Smallville too) that will be content with a Moral Victory!
                        sigpic

Comment

i love stargate and all, but as long as lois is around, i hope smallville beats it

Comment

I think it's awesome that both shows have lasted. Considering all the 'reality' shows on the boob tube it's amazing that networks have even kept the shows in production as long as have been.

I still have something to watch on Thursday nights! Smallville!

(of course, I record Bones to watch Smallville first!)
                            1-800-Iluv-JandT
                            sig by Sci!

Toll Free..Available 24 HRS...Remember..It can never be too much..

Comment

Allison Mack on Smallville future

Matt Dentler: What’s the latest with Smallville?

Mack: The latest with Smallville is that we have another season [after this season’s finale on May 14]. Tom has signed for two more, so the show will go until season 10.

http://spoilertv-smallville.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X