This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stasis(SPOILERS)

Does it seem odd to anyone that The Gou'uld could perfect stasis (The Curse) and that the Ancients could not(Before I Sleep)? Same Goes for the Asgard, they perfected it.

Originally posted by dd78matt
    Does it seem odd to anyone that The Gou'uld could perfect stasis (The Curse) and that the Ancients could not(Before I Sleep)? Same Goes for the Asgard, they perfected it.

I can't comment on "Before I Sleep," but I apparantly it indicates that stasis chambers such as the one found in Antartica aren't perfect. I guess I'll have to wait to see it.

"The Curse" doesn't show any type of stasis, as far as I can remember. In stead it shows a type of prison for Goa'uld. They are imprisioned within a canoptic jar and nourished by a constant electrical current.

The asgard seem to have a some sort of system. Heimdall was studying an Asgard within one. But I'm not sure it is most appropriate to call it stasis. The Asgard was immersed in some sort of fluid.

The humans in Lifeboat had some sort of stasis system.

Are these perfect? I don't know, because I don't know what leads you to declare that the Ancient system wasn't perfect.

Comment

Necessity is the mother of invention, and all that..

I was under the impression that Ancients had longer lifespans than humans (though I'll be honest, I'm not sure where I got that impression from), in which case, even though the stasis chamber aged Dr Weir a lot, an ancient might not be aged so much by the same sort of process, and also might be able to regenerate back to a younger state (possibly with a little help).

I have no doubt that they could perfect the technology, I just don't see why they'd want to bother. After all, if they had no need to keep somebody frozen for many thousands of years, why bother having the technology to do so lying around?
      The Unknown James

Comment

I'm going to have to go with "the stasis pods work best on Ancients, but are slightly flawed with humans".

We don't know how long the Ancients live naturally anyway, so this is kind of a moot point.

Remember that in the case of the human-form Asgard, resuscitation probably wasn't possible. We have technology close to that right now (Ted William's head, anyone? Walt Disney?) so it's no big thing.

Comment

yea i got the idea of the ancients living longer too... im sure the asgard do, and the goa'uld can just heal themselves with the symbiote to slow aging.
          Ford: You know we still haven't named the planet yet
          Sheppard: I'm sure the ancients have a name for it
          Ford: How about atlantica? Something like that
          Sheppard: I thought we agreed you were not going to name anything anymore

Comment

Ancients possess advanced immune and regenerative abilities. They can probably live hundreds of years unassisted if they avoid those bothersome sharp pointy objects. Who knows, they may not even age with their technology. Atleast they shouldn't.

Spoilers for Atlantis 1x15 "Before I Sleep"
            Spoiler:

There's older and very much balding Ancients. I suppose the wise old man look adds presence to the character.

Comment

Spoilers (this is my first time using the spoiler tag and i'm not sure it will work so i'm going to do this )

Spoiler:
              Basically from what I saw Janus modified some Ancient device to slow Weir's metabolism, heartbeat etc.. and it was not a device constructed for the sole purpose of suspended animation without aging

edited because i'm a noob and acidentally used the spoiler tag to tag out my entire post
              Last edited by Whatazarian; 09 December 2004, 06:54 PM. Reason: noobiness

Comment

It was the same type of "dormata" chamber as the one O'Neill froze himself in in The Lost City, so I'd say that yes, it is a device for putting people into stasis.
                The Unknown James

Comment

if an ancient woman could be perfectly preserved in good old ice for millions of years, and then come to life when it melted.. id say its a good bet that for their much stronger bodily systems, the statis pod did preserve them perfectly.

Comment

It's just a plot device... We can't very well have two young Dr. Weir running about in Atlantis... It'll just be... Weir...d.

Anywho, the Aschens had medicines that keep them ageless indefinately, who's to say that the Ancients don't? Maybe that's why they don't have stasis chambers... For all we know, Janus could've put Weird in a bathtub, just that Ancient bathtubs do so much more...

Comment

Remember, that Wier had to 'wake up' every few couple thousand years to rotate the ZPM's. Leaving and returning to status only moments later probably helped create the aging scenerio. Also recall that McKay shut off power to the chamber when she was trying to 'wake up' that could also have had some adverse effects.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBlue
                        "The Curse" doesn't show any type of stasis, as far as I can remember. In stead it shows a type of prison for Goa'uld. They are imprisioned within a canoptic jar and nourished by a constant electrical current.
                        the goa'uld have prefected cryogenics(sp?)though,we see that in "Out Of Mind"(222) when sg-1 is
                        Spoiler:
                        frozen by hathor and tricked into believing that it is twothousand and fifty-somthing.
                        MSG Me If You Can Answer This:
                        I have a 720p tv, and i have plugged my xbox into it and it gives me the option choose between 480p, 720p, 1080p, and 1080i display settings. I'm not really sure which one to choose on it, I know not to use the 480 setting, and obviously my tv only plays 720, but what if i set it to 1080? would the quality degrade? i cant rly notice a difference when i set it higher but maybe one who is more knowledgeable could tell me what im missing?

Comment

Working...
                        X