This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG-1 movie and popularity

I was just thinking of something. Stargate is somewhat new in comparison to the other 2 major sci-fi franchises...and yet it's made a huge following in a short time...infact I think it might be more popular now than Star Trek.
    It's 2nd only to Star Wars.

So..does anyone think there will be a movie? A set of movies? (sg-1 cast)
    I think after Season 8 they will start making movies...why wouldn't they? They would make massive profit releasing an SG-1 movie.
    It feels good to be alive.
    Cause i've been dead for so long.

Stargate II would be cool , originaly they were going to make a set of movies , But they made the tv series instead.
    The Egyptian Cat God .

Comment

Roland emerich and Dean develin did express interest in making 3 movies in the first touching on egyptian mythology the second would be Norse an the third linking the Stargate with every culture on earth but the series kinda ruined that idea.

Bigger than Star trek...maybe but I don't think Star Wars is bigger than trek by a longshot

Comment

stargate is the best american sci-fi show. second best in the world (i will always be a dwarfer first and foremost) but i think it should learn from the mistakes of shows like star trek and not go on so long as it could eventually bore people and eventually just repeat old and used ideas i mean treks had four contiuos spin-offs now after the third it should have taken a break

Comment

I hope that they do make another movie. They could tie in all the ancient cultures to the stargate and in the movie they could tell the world about the stargate. It would be interesting but I don't know if the show is popular to make another movie out of it. I don't think that it is that popular. I mean it runs on SciFi. It does not run on any big network. I hope they make a movie but I just don't think that they will.

Comment

I don't know if I could watch the movie without comparing it to the t.v. show. Although I've done a pretty good job of pretending that the last 2 Matrix movies don't exist.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by SCIFINUT032289
              They could tie in all the ancient cultures to the stargate and in the movie they could tell the world about the stargate.
              If America told everyone about the Stargate, the Russians maybe wouldnt be ready to. They could do a movie with a big fight between Russia and America over releasing information on the Stargate to the public.
              Daniel: "A fool's heaven is a wise man's hell."
              O'Niell: "...Never run with scissors..."

APOPHIS SAYS: "Walk like an Egyptian!"

Comment

I love SG-1 and while I hate to see it end I know it must. I'm torn on the movie part. Obviously the crazed fan side of me says, "Yes! Make a movie! That would be cool!".

But the more realistic side knows that SG-1 can't be contained into a 90 minute movie and be what we expect. SG-1 feeds of the continuity provided by a 22 episode season. It allows time to build characters and story arcs. A movie wouldn't allow for any of that.

Two examples to prove my point.

1. Highlander. Great TV show. But the movie that followed was sub par on almost all counts. I won't even discuss the movies that preceded the series. All but the first were total crap.

2. X-Files. Now I wasn't a fan of the show (mainly because I didn't start at the beginning and never quite caught on to everything). But this was an interesting idea. Make a movie that closely relates to the show. In theory it sounds good. You give yourself the time you need for back story and what not but inevitably people haven't seen those episodes and when the movie comes out they are lost. They tell their friends the movie doesn't make sense and then it doesn't do very well.

I think I'd prefer a mini-series to a movie. Give it a year or two break. We'll see how Atlantis develops and then maybe make a mini-series that integrates the two somehow.
                "Maktal shree! Loc'tak. Mek'ta satak Oz! Moktal Oz. Moktal Oz, Kree!" - Daniel Jackson

"So, you want to be my Oma?" - Jack O'Neill

Comment

Maybe they could fight Amon.
                  The Egyptian Cat God .

Comment

Originally posted by simon4of4
                    I love SG-1 and while I hate to see it end I know it must. I'm torn on the movie part. Obviously the crazed fan side of me says, "Yes! Make a movie! That would be cool!".

Two examples to prove my point.

1. Highlander. Great TV show. But the movie that followed was sub par on almost all counts. I won't even discuss the movies that preceded the series. All but the first were total crap.

I totally agree with you on this one --- they didn't even stay true to the series even though Adrian Paul was one of the main characters in Endgame-- in an early season 2 episode of the series (The Darkness) a big deal was made of the fact that Duncan never married, yet the writers suddenly developed amnesia and tossed a wife at us, one that he supposedly killed before her time, no less, where in the series he did everything in his power to PREVENT that from happening to another would-be immortal (Timeless). Makes you wonder if the movie writers ever even WATCHED the series. Talk about no continuity! sorry, had to rant, that still bugs me

2. X-Files. Now I wasn't a fan of the show (mainly because I didn't start at the beginning and never quite caught on to everything). But this was an interesting idea. Make a movie that closely relates to the show. In theory it sounds good. You give yourself the time you need for back story and what not but inevitably people haven't seen those episodes and when the movie comes out they are lost. They tell their friends the movie doesn't make sense and then it doesn't do very well.

This movie wasn't bad, but still didn't really tie up all the loose ends.

I think I'd prefer a mini-series to a movie. Give it a year or two break. We'll see how Atlantis develops and then maybe make a mini-series that integrates the two somehow.
                    Excellent idea!

Comment

I'd like to see Stargate movies...and i hope they are gonna make them...they just shouldn't go too far form SG-1

Comment

I know there were once plans for something, but it had to be used when SciFi ordered up another season of SG-1.. I guess it really depends on if they can get the funding and the people involved are willing to do something else.

Although on a completely unrelated note, I'd rather it not be a theatrical film. Last movie I saw in a theater was Alien Resurrection and that was quite a long time ago.
                        The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

i would love to see Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich do Stargate 2 and 3. if done i would like for them to do what the SG-1 writers are doing to Infinity, pretend it doesn't exist and do things you way without having to connect it up to the series.

if a movie about the series was done, i would prefer SG-1 The Movie and not SG2 or just keep the money that a big blockbuster movie costs and do a mini series or a series of 90 minute tv movies

sigpic

Comment

<< Although I've done a pretty good job of pretending that the last 2 Matrix movies don't exist. >>

We all rise to the occasion when we have to, and as regards the Matrix we really DID have to!
                            sum ergo cogitum
                            I am therefore I think.

Comment

If they make another Stargate movie, its likely that Amanda Tapping and Christopher Judge will be left out. This would be extremely disappointing. However, if they made another movie, but with the SG1 part on it, I am pretty sure AT and CJ could be in it.

I've always respected the law but jeez, some are silly.
                              Vae Victus - Livy

Comment

Working...
                              X