This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why is every season the last year?

Since season 5, every year was supposed to be the last one. Now, once stargate gets renewed everybody debunks the idea of stargate getting cancelled. Isn't it getting like a running gag to say every year is the last one just to bring it back again?

I LOVE STARGATE!!!!!

I think because every year they think they have lost ideas, but new great ideas have come upon their brains (or maybe to other people alot of bad ideas) they have gotten passed their writers block. But thats my guess
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

The budget is now so big that renewing the show for more than one year at a time would be risky. Besides, some channels might order two or more years of a show at a time (Showtime seemed to) but others don't seem to operate that way at all and renew a show one year at a time and even cancel some partway through

:: glares at the stupid channel that cancelled Firefly ::

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
        :: glares at the stupid channel that cancelled Firefly ::
        Better known as FOX, who has cancelled more good shows than they ever have had.
        Rocky

Comment

The problem with shows on a network like FOX is that if they don't meet a certain profit margin for their time slot, they get cut, even if the show would be considered great for another network. FOX cut Dark Angel for example only to have it picked up by UPN.

Anyways, Stargate SG-1 has gone on a year-to-year basis recently for a number of reasons. First off, it's an old show now, and actors/writers do get tired of the same project. If Michael Shanks and Chris Judge suddenly decided they didn't want to do a 10th season, Sci-Fi would be feeling really dumb about a two year contract. RDA has been a big factor too, though it looks like they've finally figured out what to do with him instead of him getting injured every other week There's also a good chance that halfway through a season the writters will begin to suffer from burn out and ratings will dive. Because of the year;y contracts though, Sci-Fi can dump the series quickly without burning a whole into their pocket.

Now Atlantis for example, which is a new series, has been given a much longer contract because there aren't as many risks associated with paying for it.

Comment

atlantis can also be controlled more.
            since the actors/writers, etc are likely tied to longer contracts, if the show's a hit, then those same folks can't go up to the head office and say 'gee, now that we're a hit, i want more money'

they can't do that. they're limited in that way.
            course, on the other hand, its a gamble for scifi because, if the show bombs, they're tied into paying those same folks for a certain amount of money or buying them out of their contract

with stargate, scifi and mgm don't wanna take the risk so tehy do it one year at a time.

it is also possible that all rda will sign is one yaer at a time, so everything else hinges on that

who knows the real truth, this is all speculation
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Part of the issue is that Sci-Fi has adopted a policy of renewing SG-1 on a yearly basis rather than make a long term commitment. Personally, I'd hate to see SG-1 end, but when it comes down to it, the decision to end SG-1 could become a real possibility following Season 9.

Comment

money $$$

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                  Part of the issue is that Sci-Fi has adopted a policy of renewing SG-1 on a yearly basis rather than make a long term commitment. Personally, I'd hate to see SG-1 end, but when it comes down to it, the decision to end SG-1 could become a real possibility following Season 9.

yea thats what they say every year
                  "I was just looking at the sky, Trying to figure out how many stars we'd actually been to."

Comment

IMO, it's much better being renewed on a yearly basis. That way at least the season finales are usually good since they usually plan on it being the last show.
                    Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                    RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Originally posted by Naquida Guy
                      The problem with shows on a network like FOX is that if they don't meet a certain profit margin for their time slot, they get cut, even if the show would be considered great for another network. FOX cut Dark Angel for example only to have it picked up by UPN.
                      When did UPN ever pick up Dark Angel??? I agree about the meeting certain profits, but did you notice how Fox cancels shows before giving it a chance to grow (with very vew exceptions where a show doesnt really go beyond its current ratings.)
                      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Fox shows Arrested Development right? That just premiered in Australia and it's really good. That's on the second season in the U.S., right?

Comment

Working...
                        X