Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resident Evil (Game Series) Appreciation thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resident Evil (Game Series) Appreciation thread!

I also LOVE them all much!

I have just started playing RE 5.

1-4 brilliant mix of puzzles/action
    5, looks good, shame about gameplay........... unless shooting really "yanks your crank", expect more tbh

just had an idea for a zombie RTS(not supcom scale RTS) maybe a cross of XCOM/close combat/UFO: enemy unknown/syndicate type of game. player is umbrella corp after major outbreak. missions are usual 'seek and destroy', capture live subjects, lock down facilities, retrieve objects/data etc, defend objectives/people(important to umbrella corp only)
    Last edited by rlr149; 30 April 2009, 12:13 PM.
    sigpic
    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
    -Liberty Prime

Comment

I thought I'd rejuvinate this thread, as I'm currently playing through Resident Evil 0 again, and have recently completed RE 5.

Anyone seen the trailer for the upcoming RE 6? Hurrah for bringing back Zombies, but alas, it seems to be a continuation of the RE 4&5 gameplay. I still favour the classic style, if I'm honest.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ResidentEvil?v=a1lEs5y4udA

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Haven't played any RE in a while (I played RE4, I think, years ago on a friend's 360), and while RE6 looks nice (yup, saw the trailer), it's RE:Op. Raccoon City that's caught my interest.

edit: can't comment on any difference in play style/mechanics as it's been years since RE4, and I've never played RE5. From the trailer and some preview vids, RE6's gameplay looks like a 'standard' 3rd person shooter (including the whole 'shooting while moving' thing and even sliding)
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
          Haven't played any RE in a while (I played RE4, I think, years ago on a friend's 360), and while RE6 looks nice (yup, saw the trailer), it's RE:Op. Raccoon City that's caught my interest.

edit: can't comment on any difference in play style/mechanics as it's been years since RE4, and I've never played RE5. From the trailer and some preview vids, RE6's gameplay looks like a 'standard' 3rd person shooter (including the whole 'shooting while moving' thing and even sliding)
          Re: gameplay - exactly. Have you ever played RE 0,1,2,3, Code Veronica X, or Outbreak File 1/2?

They never played like 3rd person shooters, they were a much slower pace and were far more tactical. Back in those days 4 enemies at a time seemed like a lot. 7 was the **** hitting the fan. I miss those days, as I prefered the 'survival horror' to the 'survival action' that emerged with RE 4 onwards. I still enjoy it, however, and I will say that it allowed for the required showdown at the end of RE 5 that could never have otherwise been achieved.

Op Raccoon City does indeed look good, as a spin off, of course. The Racoon City storyline has always been my favourite element of the saga, so it's great to revisit it. Particularly to check out the Mercs! Nicholai kicked ass, and was one of the best things about RE 3 and Outbreak File 1.

Also looking good is Resident Evil Relelations on the 3DS.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I remember playing RE1 (which one is '0'?) and RE2 (and another one...the one which starts w/ Ada Wong? I forget), but I only finished RE2 (I never really had my own console until the PS3 I got last Dec., I just borrowed in the past).
            I do see the point, tho', re: gameplay changes.

Op. Raccoon City: I find the Umbrella operatives interesting. (the 'my-face-glows-shoot-me-here' masks are kinda weird, tho' )

Revelations looks interesting, too, but I don't have (nor do I plan to get) a 3DS.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
              I remember playing RE1 (which one is '0'?) and RE2 (and another one...the one which starts w/ Ada Wong? I forget), but I only finished RE2 (I never really had my own console until the PS3 I got last Dec., I just borrowed in the past).
              I do see the point, tho', re: gameplay changes.

Op. Raccoon City: I find the Umbrella operatives interesting. (the 'my-face-glows-shoot-me-here' masks are kinda weird, tho' )

Revelations looks interesting, too, but I don't have (nor do I plan to get) a 3DS.
              RE 0 - relatively new prequel to the whole series. Central two characters are Rebecca Chambers and Lt Billy Cohen, takes place shortly before the original game, and explains how the original outbreak occurs and some of the background to the series. Iconic images include Rebecca on a train.

Ada Wong has only ever been in RE 2 and RE 4, I suspect you're thinking about RE 3 starring Jill Valentine.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I started with CVX, this is definitely a great game for me. A couple of years back I aimed for the highest rank, I got up to Antarctica (free save) and then I stopped playing. I've been wanting to revisit this game for a while now, but I think I've forgotten about too much of it to do it quickly.

I played RE4 (on Wii) until I got up to Ashley and she was too annoying so I stopped.

RE5 was great, I enjoyed it. There aren't any significant puzzles I remember but it was still enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post

Ada Wong has only ever been in RE 2 and RE 4, I suspect you're thinking about RE 3 starring Jill Valentine.

Maybe...it's all fuzzy. It's been years, and I play a lot of games each year. (not even counting the time I reviewed games, which was after I played the RE game/s in question...ages ago)

Hmm. Maybe I should pick up some of the RE stuff for PS3...I am looking for stuff to play on that one (will probably get Op.Rac.City on PC). Either that or one of the other 'open world' games available (got Dark Souls last week. Was picking between that and Infamous 2...should've gotten the latter )
                  sigpic

Comment

i loved resident eveil 1, 2 & 3 on the play station, code veronica was class as well on the dreamcast, didnt like any after that the game play on 5 was terrible.

Bring back the old school!!!!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rockerlad View Post
                      i loved resident eveil 1, 2 & 3 on the play station, code veronica was class as well on the dreamcast, didnt like any after that the game play on 5 was terrible.

Bring back the old school!!!!!!
                      RE6 trailer was just released and I hear they are indeed bringing back the old school, even if in Part 6 it looks like there will be some action as well. I think there's another one coming out for the 3DS (the one system that I don't have and can't afford to buy) that uses more of the old school formula as well. I loved part 4 and 5, but not as much as the rest and I think it's good that with the next gen systems they are bringing it back to the old school a bit. I loved the Chris/Jill scenario in RE5 gold edition because it did sort of bring back the traditional creepy factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Reseph(Shed) View Post
                        RE6 trailer was just released and I hear they are indeed bringing back the old school, even if in Part 6 it looks like there will be some action as well. I think there's another one coming out for the 3DS (the one system that I don't have and can't afford to buy) that uses more of the old school formula as well. I loved part 4 and 5, but not as much as the rest and I think it's good that with the next gen systems they are bringing it back to the old school a bit. I loved the Chris/Jill scenario in RE5 gold edition because it did sort of bring back the traditional creepy factor.
                        I wouldnt mid a re-make on res1 on the xbox similar to tomb raider aniversary!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

I too preferred the survival horror of the old games. I miss the puzzle solving and having to find guys and artefacts. I sure don't miss those ginormous spiders though I did like RE5 (I think it was mainly because Chris and Jill were back in it ), but it sucked that you can't move while aiming the gun I was hoping RE6 would have Chris and Jill in it as partners again, well one out of two ain't bad. Maybe if they make another game I'll get my wish

The RE games on the Nintendo don't exist in my universe
                          sigpic

Comment

Feel the need to resurrect this thread.

Resident Evil Revelations was a fantastic game and *really* took the series back to its roots, thoroughly enjoyed it. I understand that it was only a side story because it didn't deal with Umbrella/Neo-Umbrella, but God damn it was excellent! Atmosphere, game controls, player movement, enticing storyline. Pure Resident Evil fun!

Resident Evil 6, however, is not the same level of quality... I've completed Chris and Leon's campaign, and am working through Jake's... but aside from some interesting snippets about Sherry Birkin's life after RE2 this game really isn't doing it for me. The actual game play itself isn't much of a change from RE5, truth in told, if a little more fluid... but thus far I've been finding the plot and narrative exceptionally weak. The lack of files to be found for background information is disappointing and it feels very much like the only meat of the story is that terrorist organisations, states and non-state actors now have access to viral weaponry and *will* use them to instigate change. I could forgive the weak gameplay, but the weak plot is a different matter. *sigh* Clearly I haven't played the unlockable Ada's game yet, but there was minimal resolution (imo) within Chris and Leon's games of the actual outbreaks which occured... it lacked the effectiveness of the conclusions of any of the previous RE titles.....

I don't know what's in store for RE7, but I hope we go back to the origins of RE...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X