This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crystal technology

Looking at the series you see the use of crystal technology a lot. They are used as advance forms of computer processors, power source, data storage devices, etc.

Speculation:
    I think that each form of crystal is specially grown with a specific lattice structure for each purpose.

The processors/data crystals are most likely quantum based technology, using light, this might explain why they light up. This technology would be billions of time faster/of storage than our current technology.

How the power crystal works is unknown, as far as we know you can’t draw power from a crystal. But a possible design of energy releasing crystal is to make the basic structure of the crystal hold separate elements apart, and then as the crystal structure is broken down the elements are brought together and create a reaction. You would have to separate the reaction from the other elements, control the breakdown of the crystal structure or have some other way to control over the rate of reaction and keep the crystal together. How to absorb the energy released is different for each type of reaction, if the reaction is light/heat/particle/ray you would have to convert it into what ever energy you needed. Since we use electricity to power recovered Goa’uld technology and the stargate we can say that electrical power is need. Having to convert from one energy to another is inefficient; it is most likely that the reaction produces electricity.

Spoilers: highlight to read

If you look at SG1:713 you will see that the crystals used in the Prometheus are different from the standard crystals. This might suggest that we made the crystals instead of salvaging them from the Goa’uld.

End speculation:
    "Khattam-Shud," he said slowly, "is the Arch-Enemy
    of all Stories, even of Language itself. He is the Prince of
    Silence and the Foe of Speech. And because everything ends,
    because dreams end, stories end, life ends, at the finish
    of everything we use his name. 'It's finished,' we tell one
    another, 'it's over. Khattam-Shud: The End.'"

-excerpted from Haroun and the Sea of Stories,

there is another thread out here that went also about crystal technology Perhaps you'll find something in there
    Lord Zedd

Comment

looked under Crystal, and Crystal technology for the thread did not find it

Comment

There is a thread about storing infromation on a crystal. Is that what you are looking for?

Comment

Little joke here: In S6 Descent, my Dad asked a good question. All of those clear crystals with the colored edges that Jonas rearranged to save Jack and Sam from drowning, how did he know which one went where?
          Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

thanks I found it under data crystal, but they don't say how they might work

Comment

Originally posted by donnie_darko
              I think that each form of crystal is specially grown with a specific lattice structure for each purpose.
              But with this statement, I think you brought up a good thought. How are the crystal made? Are the grown?

To me this part of the technology.

Comment

Now if the crystals are grown...would they be similiar to the crystals the Tok'ra use to create there underground bases. Maybe that where we learned how to manipulate them???

Comment

Well we know how to store information on crystals, using two laser beams to create a 3-d pattern inside the lattice. However since the DHD and other crystal-using devices doesn't seem to have a laser I think its likely that they were grown to order and plugged in, rather than 'burning' a program into a blank.
                  [email protected]
                  http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                  One nation under dog
                  There of which I stand alone
                  A face in the crowd
                  Unsung, against the mold
                  Without a doubt
                  Singled out
                  The only way I know

Comment

Makes sense to me.
                    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

ditto

Comment

im pretty sure I remembered somewhere that we engineered our own crystals for use in the Prometheus. And also I read somewhere that the goa'uld adapted crystal technology from the ancients - read it in the spoiler page for the episode with Orlin and the ancient weapon, I forget!

Comment

supermans home planet krypton uses crystal technology

Comment

using crystals to store infomation on like a hard drive fascinates me i think that a simlar technology will come around in the future and will dramaticly cut down the size of any computer although i would imagine it would be different than stargate they would most likely be exteemly small and the way that light such as lasers and stuff to manipulate these probably would happen some time in the future as apoose to magnetic hardrives and electric wires.
                            this kind of technology would revolutionise our planet and bring us one step further to all these science fiction programs we think are un achivable after all starterk the original series introduced the flip phone before cell phones were even concived, who knows what the future holds for us.
                            For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

I agree about the crystals being grown since natural crystals would be the wrong shape and have impurities. We always see the naquadah mines the Goa'uld use, but never see any crystal mines. I also think they're based on quantum based technology.

Some crystals, tourmaline I think, will develope an electrical charge when heated, so it wouldn't be too hard to develope some king of power crystal.

Comment

Working...
                              X