This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Animal Testing

When do you believe animal testing is acceptable?

In all cases, medical and cosmetic?
    Only for medical testing?
    Never?
    sigpic
    http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
    http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

I say no to cosmetic testing since cosmetics are a completely frivolous addition to our daily lives that we could live without. If makeup is so important that it needs to be tested, let some of the people who'll be wearing it volunteer to be guinee pigs, so to speak.

Comment

Medical testing. And a lot of it depends on what we are testing and what kind of animal it is being tested on.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

definite No for cosmetic & other non-medical purposes
        I'm hesitant about medical testing - worse case scenario it must be very strictly controlled & regulated
        Last edited by SoulReaver; 22 April 2009, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Only for medical testing. I always wonder if these people who oppose medical testing on animals would refuse any medical drug that had been tested on animals (i.e. all of them)? because if the don't then they are hypocrites plain and simple and should get off their high horse!
          A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

People who still oppose medical testing on animals should probably know that the more controversial (LD 50) tests are no longer used on a wide scale. I don't agree for cosmetics to be tested on animals, but medical testing is vital for medical safety. If they'd done proper animal testing on Thalidomide we wouldn't have ended up with thousands of disabled people...
            sigpic

Comment

I wonder if there are any who oppose it for medical testing but approve of it for cosmetic testing

Comment

I would've made this a poll, but there doesn't seem to be the option for that anymore.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
                  I would've made this a poll, but there doesn't seem to be the option for that anymore.
                  Use the report feature and clarify to the mods the poll options
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
                    there never was a "poll" option - we can't make polls (go figure why)

only mods can make polls or turn a topic into a one at the TS' request

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                      there never was a "poll" option - we can't make polls (go figure why)

only mods can make polls or turn a topic into a one at the TS' request
                      Huh, I was sure there used to be a poll option.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                        I wonder if there are any who oppose it for medical testing but approve of it for cosmetic testing
                        if there were any I would have to be convinced that they were not Paris Hilton
                        A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

I don't like the idea of medical testing on animals, yes it saves/improves lives by developing knowledge but who is to say our lives are more important than theirs? I'm not going to argue that point though as I'm sure the positives of it can be seen in many peoples daily lives even if I don't personally like the idea of it.

Testing cosmetics I think is disgusting. Why would they put chemicals into cosmetics that they think for any reason could cause harm?
                          "What we need now is a tactical retreat. Did you see the episode on Stargate where they found themselves on a planet with a culture based loosely on Earth Athens and Sparta?"

Comment

Originally posted by Bee11 View Post
                            I don't like the idea of medical testing on animals, yes it saves/improves lives by developing knowledge but who is to say our lives are more important than theirs? I'm not going to argue that point though as I'm sure the positives of it can be seen in many peoples daily lives even if I don't personally like the idea of it.

Testing cosmetics I think is disgusting. Why would they put chemicals into cosmetics that they think for any reason could cause harm?
                            I don't think that anyone likes the idea. However there is no alternative... unless you don't want any new drugs to be developed? and to be blunt if its us or them.... I choose us! hell I already eat them!

And despite what the activists believe the computer models are far far from being useful we don't understand everything about how mammalian metabolism works or indeed everything about how a cell works, given these gaps in our knowledge a accurate computer model cannot be devised.

Comment

For medical testing, I would say yes it is absolutely necessary. I don't really see any option. I think it would be unethical to ban animal testing for medical reasons, because I don't see how cures and treatments would be able to developed.

For cosmetics, I don't see another option here, you don't want the companies to release unsafe products.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X