X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planet of the Dead (2009)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SPECIAL:
    PLANET OF THE DEAD

The Doctor joins forces with a precocious jewel thief after their bus travels through a vortex to San Helios, a desert world that has been consumed by a swarm of metallic stingray creatures.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:07 PM.

Despite the title of my post - I loved the episode. Requesting mods to change it pleases?

Spoiler:
    I think it's safe to assume that the 'he will tap four times' means that 'our lord and master' will be returning shortly.
    Last edited by Admiral Mappalazarou; 11 April 2009, 04:54 PM.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Harsh but partly true.

The best part this episode was Michelle Ryan.

Was I the only one hoping we did not see the space ship fly, was a bit disappointed that it did not.

It was nice to see some aliens who do not have a second agenda.

I thought we needed a bigger ending, may be a valient 2 and several thousands of those creatures.

I thought the whole wormhole effect was rubbish.
      The coloured wormen was under use and well rubbish really.

I thought UNIT was suppose to be the best of the best, they not going to let people who have even done regular army duty.

Comment

michelle ryan was dreadful! that woman simply can not act her way out of a poorly rendered double decker bus....

Very very very poor 1/10

Comment

What did I think of Tomb Raider's of the Lost Stargate, I think the last comment says all. Even the soundtrack screamed "INDIANA JONES" in fact I found myself whistling it at the end.

During the opening sequence I thought, "oh it's Lara Croft", when she swapped the cup for the bag I thought, "RTD's been watching Raiders of the Lost Ark", when the camera showed the gold cat I thought "Yep, he's been watching Indiana Jones and playing Tomb Raider".

Who was that blond woman, has she been in Eastenders?

The bus passengers were ok, no-one irritated the pants off me like I thought they would.

The fly's were good, no agenda is a nice change

What's happened to UNIT, why have they started hiring from the shallow end of the gene pool? And the Captain, what she did is a courts martial offence for a start.

And why in the name of all that's holy did Lee Evans pick that rediculous voice (which is just as irritating as his normal vocie, I can't stand Lee Evans in any shape or form) he sounded just like Colin from The Brittas Empire.

What do I think? Bring on the next episode of Red Dwarf

Oh and BTW
          Spoiler:
          I agree, He who is coming through the darkness and will knock 4 times is definitly The Master

Comment

I'm going to have to go against the flow here. This one was a lot better than The Next Doctor or Journey's End, which were just painful.

Looking back from the lofty height of about an hour later. It was a bit bland but it was till pretty damn fun and was not painfully stupid like the umpteeth return of the Daleks or Cybermen.
            sigpic
            Banner By JME2

Comment

Then again anything better than the boring Daleks an cyberman.

Comment

I thought it was good

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
                Spoiler:
                I think it's safe to assume that the 'he will tap four times' means that 'our lord and master' will be returning shortly.
                Spoiler:
                He's returning through the dark (Davros)

He will knock for times (the masters drum beat)

one of the 2.
                People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

That was better by far than the last two specials. The monsters were a good concept and well realised. Nice to see the timey wimey detector back. Wonderful look to the story, that desert and the distant storm of flying metal trilobites.

Loved the way the Doctor brushed aside the matter of what the sand tasted of, when he realised what it was. You just knew then what it was. *shudder*

I liked the captain. Malcolm was a bit OTT but the sprogs thought he was funny.

LOL that the Doctor accidentally dialed for pizzas.

The early shots of the Doctor & co appearing on a monitor at which a mysterious claw was pointing was sheer Classic Who. Lovely.

"Knock four times"? I know someone who used to knock four times....

Madeleine

Comment

Since I hated the xmas special, I have to say that this was a wonderful return to form. When I heard that the Master was coming back I never really believed it, but I guess that epic foreshadow at the end confirmed it.

My only complaint is that the Doctor should have clicked on to it as soon as he got the warning - 'He will knock four times...' I mean it should be pretty obvious to him what that means. Unless he is aware and isn't showing it.
                    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Hopefully my other post will appear before long.

Did anyone else get the feeling of deja vu. I thought I was watching Tomb Raiders of the Lost Stargate, titled lady robbing artifacts (Lara Croft) swapping the cup for the bag/gold cat (Indiana Jones) wormhole (Stargate). Sweeping desert vistas (Lawrence of Arabia, Confidential, enough with the Lawrence of Arabia theme please) I did wish for Carlos Sainz or Marc Coma to come over the dunes to liven things up.

I found it a little boring, not edge of the seat stuff like the last 3 eps of the last series

Comment

Ok, I'll admit, the music was awful! Totally took me out of the episode. But anyway...

I loved Michelle Ryan's character. She was brilliant - a real match for the Doctor. I hope we'll be seeing more of her. And could she be River Song...?

The episode as a whole... Ok. Relatively exciting, but not enough plot to really pull me in. And the ending was far too drawn out, and frankly it was ridiculous how long it took them to close the wormhole. UNIT just wouldn't wait that long. As soon as... that captain person... heard that the bus was out, she would/should have told whatisname to close the wormhole. But as a whole a fun episode. The next one doesn't look particularly good though...
                        ~Thanks to Achaja for my lovely birthday presents!!~

Comment

is it me or are UNIT useless all of a sudden? That said, so were the police and the guards at the gallery. Does the show get any kind of official advice etc like some shows do? just found how they were all portrayed as idiots a bit annoying.

If you are guarding something its a good idea to be watching it, dont have everyone stand with their back to it. Also the whole chase scene with the bus was rubbish, the driver would have pulled over straight away Dont get me started on the woman in charge of unit who was firing a hand gun in the air without even aiming properly at fast moving strongly armed targets and then saying "Guns dont work! I dont believe it!" Aren't Unit meant to be the best of the best and trained to expect the unexpected? Metal aliens have just come through a wormhole and your handgun doesnt work, big surprise.

/rant

On the plus side i thought the doctor was really well written and liked most of the jokes. The aliens creating the wormhole as a natural part of their life cycle was a nice idea. Also liked Michelle Ryan and her character, even if she did have a mary poppins bag that contained everything

All in all i thought the whole thing was a little rushed, the concept etc was nice but some of the writing and production let it down and the overall pace seemed rushed. Did RTD write this one? seems like one of his, good concept, not reached its full potential.

Oh and i loved lee evan's malcolm character, i hope the doctor has saved his phone number for the future

Comment

I enjoyed it! it was fun, it was a romp. DT and MR work well together and her character while Dr Who version of Lara Croft still was rather interesting. The bus people were fine, really liked the psychic woman. The aliens were an interesting consept (making the wormhole)

Originally posted by LiliJ View Post
                            The next one doesn't look particularly good though...
                            Think the next one, tho a new standalone adventure is just mainly set up for the final two part specials.
                            Spoiler:
                            since its been discribed as "closely linked to the final two, but is not the first part of a three part story"

Comment

Originally posted by Bodmanbod View Post
                              On the plus side i thought the doctor was really well written and liked most of the jokes. The aliens creating the wormhole as a natural part of their life cycle was a nice idea. Also liked Michelle Ryan and her character, even if she did have a mary poppins bag that contained everything
                              Yes, that was rather odd for the Doctor to send them to uninhabited planets. They need to eat. So really, he just committed genocide...
                              ~Thanks to Achaja for my lovely birthday presents!!~

Comment

Working...
                              X