This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teal'c/Other Jaffa : Forehead Tattoo Discussion

I think he should loose it. He's renounced his former false god Apophis, and pledged his allience to the tarie of Earth, yet he still wears the symbol of Apophis on his forehead. That's like fighting for one country and wearing a tatto of another on your forehead. So why keep the Goa'uld gold?

It's the one gaping hole is his otherwise rebellious attitude toward the Goa'uld. Shouldn't he want to be rid of it? The sight of it should disgust him I'd think.

If I remember correctly it's made of gold that was poured into a wound on his forehead, so a plastic surgeon would have little to do to remove it.

So why would he keep it then?

What do you think? Should he keep it or loose it?

it makes teal'c who he is, if he were to loose it he would lose the essence. and when he goes to another planet they would look at him like a ordinary human not knowing where he was in his past. and incase they find a planet where the goa'uld played a part in their history those people can relate to teal'c :x

Comment

Originally posted by alz0rz
      it makes teal'c who he is, if he were to loose it he would lose the essence. and when he goes to another planet they would look at him like a ordinary human not knowing where he was in his past. and incase they find a planet where the goa'uld played a part in their history those people can relate to teal'c :x
      yeah, i agree. maybe if teal'c was bald (which i'm very angry they didn't even give an explanation as to why he decided to grow his hair) then i could handle the tattoo getting lost. but with hair, no tattoo, and beginning to speak normally(i emphasise beginning) teal'c just wouldn't be the same

Comment

Originally posted by soulblade64
        yeah, i agree. maybe if teal'c was bald (which i'm very angry they didn't even give an explanation as to why he decided to grow his hair) then i could handle the tattoo getting lost. but with hair, no tattoo, and beginning to speak normally(i emphasise beginning) teal'c just wouldn't be the same

even maybe...

if he wore a shirt.. long sleeved

Comment

With out the tattoo, he'd have no reason to wear his stylish hats when he goes off-base. I like that little quirk in his personality, his interesting fashion choices.

Comment

Not to mention without the head tattoo he might not be recognised by some enemy jaffa. Instead of being greeted with 'SHOLVA!!!', he'll be greeted by 'sholva?'
            My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

simply put, no. It defines who the character of Teal'c is and for that matte alone it should stay
              THOR: It was your stupid idea Major Carter.

Comment

Originally posted by soulblade64
                They tried. Jack woke up from his "sleep" and said "So T what's with the hair?"

Comment

Originally posted by nathanaus
                  They tried. Jack woke up from his "sleep" and said "So T what's with the hair?"
                  i remember. they had the perfect chance to give him the opportunity to explain it, but instead, they decided to make o'neill ask it twice.

Comment

Enigma and mystery. When he was about to explain it Thor interjected and of course when Thor speaks all will listen

Comment

I hope he keeps the tatoo, I would miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTroj
                        simply put, no. It defines who the character of Teal'c is and for that matte alone it should stay
                        Yeah, but we used to say/think that about his lack of hair as well. While having him let it grow is a sign of him becoming more human, I do agree, for all the reasons mentioned, that removing the tattoo would be too drastic, though.

Comment

I always thought he kept the tattoo as a sign or reminder of the enslavement that the Jaffa endure at the hands of the Gou'ald. Once he's defeated all the Gou'ald, he would have it removed, just like in the episode 2010.

Comment

Keeping the mark which identifies him is an act of defiance in a number of ways. I think in terms of *who* the tattoo represents it swiftly became a badge of pride. He's still alive, and the false god who put the mark on him is dead and gone, his demise precipitated by Teal'c himself.

It also speaks to the wider audience of other goa'uld and their jaffa. He's been hunted by goa'uld, targeted and attacked by goa'uld, captured by goa'uld, denounced across all goa'uld dominions, and yet he's still standing and what is more standing at the figurative head of an army composed of people just like him - slaves and former slaves. Everyone knows him as THE Sholvah, the original and best. By remaining instantly recognisable he serves to inspire the jaffa who are still in servitude to the goa'uld towards rebellion, and to dishearten the goa'uld themselves.

Flaunting the mark of a god that he proclaims to be a fraud (and a dead one) is also a deliberate act of impudence. It must offend those who believe in the goa'uld. Which probably pleases Teal'c.

Removing the tattoo might have meant something positive if he had done it earlier, but now it's too late, IMO, for it to be taken as anything other than that he is ashamed of the mark. And he most certainly isn't ashamed, he's very proud of those parts of his heritage which he continues to honour.

Removing it would perhaps be seen by some in the Jaffa rebellion as a denying of his Jaffa-ness. Some - like that woman in s7's Birthright - would surely already be suspicious of his closeness with the Tauri and his reliance on them for tretonin, not to mention his lack of what has traditionally defined the Jaffa. He's managed for the most part to keep the respect and faith of other Jaffa despite his alleigance to the SGC, but that goodwill would not be inexhaustible; it would be a really bad move to do something that would appear to distance himself further from the Jaffa.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                              Keeping the mark which identifies him is an act of defiance in a number of ways. I think in terms of *who* the tattoo represents it swiftly became a badge of pride. He's still alive, and the false god who put the mark on him is dead and gone, his demise precipitated by Teal'c himself.
                              I like this take on it. Plus, he needs it so he doesn't look just like any other human.
                              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Working...
                              X