This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Iris..

One of the most forthcoming elements, the Iris.

I believe this was first introduced in COTG? When they came back from the first mission to Chulak? I mean I have several debates with myself

1. How was the 'iris' installed in such little time.

2. How is it .. there - I mean its obviously within the inner workings off the stargate itself but how did they manage to get it in there.

3. How does it work? Is it just coiled up within the stargate? Like a spring? But how does it fit!?!!?

I mean its no alien technology because this was when they first went through the gate..

Yeah, I always wondered where it was integrated to the gate. And how flexible it is too while being super hard. I'm thinking how the edges curl when it closes to make a pretty flower thingy.
    May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Originally posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
      Yeah, I always wondered where it was integrated to the gate. And how flexible it is too while being super hard. I'm thinking how the edges curl when it closes to make a pretty flower thingy.
      AHAHA! thats what I call it, the flower.. lol

my sis who doesnt even watch stargate saw it once and said.. " what is that? a flower?"

Comment

Originally posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
        I don't think it's flexible, the 'fins' are just angled so that they overlap when they reach the middle, probably to add strength. It probably doesn't even have to be that strong since matter doesn't actually impact the iris. I wonder if a paper iris would theoretically work if placed at the right distance, since all the iris actually does is turn matter into radiation
        My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

I wonder if a paper iris would theoretically work if placed at the right distance, since all the iris actually does is turn matter into radiation
          Hehe, paper iris...

The iris doesn't turn matter into radiation. The iris prevents matter from being reintegrated, so what you have hitting the iris is the particles that make up a whatever was sent through.

Energy has no problem from reintegrating however, which is why radio waves can be picked up with the iris is closed. In fact, both Sokar and Anubis have used particle weapons to try and destroy the stargate.
          Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I can tell you that the iris was installed when O'Neill and party were on Abydos retreiving Daniel at the beginning of COTG.
            Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by alz0rz

I believe this was first introduced in COTG? When they came back from the first mission to Chulak? I mean I have several debates with myself

2. How is it .. there - I mean its obviously within the inner workings off the stargate itself but how did they manage to get it in there.

3. How does it work? Is it just coiled up within the stargate? Like a spring? But how does it fit!?!!?

I mean its no alien technology because this was when they first went through the gate..

I'm sure they mention in one of the episodes how it works. It sits just in front of the gate the gap allows the event horizon to still form but the iris material is super strong trinium I believe.

Anyway if it was in the gate itself it would prevent the event horizon from forming meaning the gate is in effect dead or burried.

The reason for the "flower" is - it's an iris. An iris, including the iris in your eye, is a circular object that opens or closes to allow in various amount of light, or in this case to allow or deny access to the stable worm hole. In order for what is essentially a circle to close from being open while still maintaining a circular shape, the solid circle has to be segmented into sort of curved triangles. When the group of curved triangles come together they form a solid state circle. Of course the iris in an eye is way more complicated than a made made one, I used that as an example

Anyway, they added it a few millimetre's in front of the gate - like welding it to it.
              Last edited by Nathan; 07 December 2004, 12:58 AM. Reason: clarrification

Comment

the iris is a Titanium, Trinium alloy which with the 2 fused together make the iris extreamly hard i guess although technicaly titanium isnt the strongest thing they could use, because in the eps "serpents song" sokar bombards the iris with particles traveling near the speed of light which can pass into the iris as they can reintigrate between the event horizon and the iriz heating the iris up burning the alloy.
                i don't know how strong trinium is but titanium will eventually burn under extream heat, so i dont know why they chose titanium at all when there are many other stronger materials which could have lasted longer.
                For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Titanium melts @ 1667 celcius (3034 Fahrenheit). When it gets hot it expands quite a bit, but as it cools it tends to revert back to it's original shape, which makes it perfect for high temperature applications.

Trinium on the otherhand, is an enigma.
                  Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

To make the Iris 'flower' the individual segments (petals I guess) are a bit too long and anre angled outwards slightly so they don't bang together. I imagine Siler or somebody we never see (Iris Guy?) goes out and oils up the Iris every once in a while.
                    [email protected]
                    http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                    One nation under dog
                    There of which I stand alone
                    A face in the crowd
                    Unsung, against the mold
                    Without a doubt
                    Singled out
                    The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                      the iris is a Titanium, Trinium alloy which with the 2 fused together make the iris extreamly hard i guess although technicaly titanium isnt the strongest thing they could use, because in the eps "serpents song" sokar bombards the iris with particles traveling near the speed of light which can pass into the iris as they can reintigrate between the event horizon and the iriz heating the iris up burning the alloy.
                      i don't know how strong trinium is but titanium will eventually burn under extream heat, so i dont know why they chose titanium at all when there are many other stronger materials which could have lasted longer.
                      It wasn't Anubis?
                      [email protected]
                      http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                      One nation under dog
                      There of which I stand alone
                      A face in the crowd
                      Unsung, against the mold
                      Without a doubt
                      Singled out
                      The only way I know

Comment

Nah, Anubis had his Ancient device that actualy overloaded the gate itself, causing it to explode. Sokar on the other hand had a particle gun that attacked the Iris. Sam makes the SGC a similar device to rescue Jack in 100 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime
                          It wasn't Anubis?
                          aha i was thinking of the episode with anubis in it sorry it was sokar not anubis truly sorry.
                          For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime
                            It wasn't Anubis?

hang on in your quote i put sokar not anubis i think its you who should be sorry i was correct to begin with!

Comment

Originally posted by alz0rz

The answer to all three questions is: Magic

Just kidding I'm not sure, I was wondering myself how it actually worked, because I don't think they ever explained it. Good questions though!

Comment

Working...
                              X