X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
    True, but this can't be avoided in any case
    That is true, I mean keeping Atlantis would have made the old fanbase happy but it wouldn't have attracted very many new fans. Still I wish they would have ran side by side for a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
      Who cares if the divine force was hinted at, it's still lazy, pathetic writing whichever way you look at it. Honestly, 'God dunnit' as a series resolution, they should be ashamed! It makes the wormhole drive plot device look like a cinematic masterpiece.
      Originally posted by Coronach
      To be fair, at least Ronon's example has a real explanation that we can understand. At the very least it's not a Deus ex Machina
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina

A deus ex machina (IPA: [?de??s ?ks ?mak??na], literally "god from the machine") is a plot device in which a person or thing appears "out of the blue" to help a character to overcome a seemingly insolvable difficulty.

All through BSG there were indications that a genuine, supernatural deity existed in the BSG fictional universe. The way I see it, the 'God dunnit' explanation was no more Deus-ex-machina than God doing things in the Bibilical epic, The Ten Commandments.

Even though I'm an atheist I can accept a genuine deity in a fictional universe as being valid for that fictional universe.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina

A deus ex machina (IPA: [?de??s ?ks ?mak??na], literally "god from the machine") is a plot device in which a person or thing appears "out of the blue" to help a character to overcome a seemingly insolvable difficulty.

All through BSG there were indications that a genuine, supernatural deity existed in the BSG fictional universe. The way I see it, the 'God dunnit' explanation was no more Deus-ex-machina than God doing things in the Bibilical epic, The Ten Commandments.

Even though I'm an atheist I can accept a genuine deity in a fictional universe as being valid for that fictional universe.
        I suppose you bring up a pretty valid point. In the confines of the BSG universe, it did make a little bit of sense, as deities were referenced all the time. My only question would be which god did it? Or, is it as Baltar suggested near the end, and that all the different interpretations of God, other gods, or some physical constant all refer to the same thing? In the end, at least for me, it still told me very little about what actually happened and how it did.

Whereas, the case with Ronon was more easily explainable by the physiology of the Wraith and the powers they possess.

Not saying I disagree with you, I just feel like Ronon's case was easier to accept.
        Sig by Pandora's Box
        sigpic

Comment

There is a forum for discussion on BSG. If this thread has run its day re: the topic, then it is time to retire it.
          sigpic

Comment

Seeing as there was only a small spate of OT pic spam posted after you typed ,Gipsy,I can only agree.
            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Working...
            X