This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will SGU Really Attract BSG Fans?

This topic isn't meant to be about whether BSG was better than Stargate or vice versa. It's about certain themes and elements in BSG which, from what we've heard so far, aren't going to be included in SGU.

1: Not all the characters in BSG were ordinary humans. Some of the major ones were human form Cylons. This allowed the show to explore what makes a human a human and compare our species to the Cylons.

2: BSG was different from the usual sci-fi series because some of the characters were genuinely religious and there was a real deity involved. This allowed the show to explore religion in a different way to Stargate where all the gods turned out to be technologically advanced aliens.

3: The human refugees were a cross section of the population so the fleet included many different aspects of society - the poor, the privileged, the politicians, the criminals etc. etc. The humans were in as much danger from their in fighting and power ploys as from the Cylons who were out to eliminate them.

If the average BSG fan watched the show for the above, will SGU really appeal even if it's darker than SG-1/SGA, has more characterisation and, maybe even a bit of sex?
    Last edited by ciannwn; 06 April 2009, 06:59 AM. Reason: Accidentally put SGU instead of BSG
    sigpic

I doubt the religious aspect was a draw for BSG, since most fans I've seen - including critics - agree that the religion aspect was the weakest part of the show.

Honestly, I don't know if it'll attract hardcore BSG fans. I doubt it. But how many space-based sci-fi shows are out there? If it has all the established elements of Stargate, and a bit darker tone...it may attract new fans, including BSG fans.

Comment

I dont think you can analyse elements from BSG and say "this is what SGU should have to get viewers", yes BSG had all of those things but it also had a very realistic style and a unique way of telling stories...what Universe needs to capture is the realism but keep the Stargate essence so to retain the Stargate audience but also draw in a larger non SG-1/Atlantis audience.

Remember there are a large number of people who are fans of both shows already, I think the comparisons to BSG are getting a little out of hand with the idea that its meant to grab the fans of that series, Im hoping for a very different show as I doubt TPTB would want make a carbon copy of something a great many Stargate fans may have sitting on their DVD shelf (I have up till the first half of S4 on mine, just waiting for 4.5)

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
        I doubt the religious aspect was a draw for BSG, since most fans I've seen - including critics - agree that the religion aspect was the weakest part of the show.
        I found it interesting because, even though I'm an atheist myself, I thought it made a nice change from the modern atheistic portrayal of sci-fi universes. Sci-fi can be used to illustrate all kinds of things such as C.S.Lewis's 'Perelandra' which is centred on Christian theology. I enjoyed that book too when I read it many years ago.

Honestly, I don't know if it'll attract hardcore BSG fans. I doubt it. But how many space-based sci-fi shows are out there? If it has all the established elements of Stargate, and a bit darker tone...it may attract new fans, including BSG fans.
        I've come across posts from people who don't see SGU as promising to have all the established elements of Stargate - from what I've gathered there won't be aspects of Earth mythology in it for a start.

Back to BSG fans. I was really wondering what attracted various BSG fans to BSG. Will those who went for the really dark themes find SGU dark enough? I expect there were some who watched it for Tricia Helfer and other female cast members wearing little or no clothing - will they find SGU too tame in this respect? The catch, of course, is that if there's a comparable amount of sex and states of undress in SGU it will turn many Stargate fans off because they don't want to see that kind of thing in Stargate.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
          I've come across posts from people who don't see SGU as promising to have all the established elements of Stargate - from what I've gathered there won't be aspects of Earth mythology in it for a start.
          But that's not the essence of Stargate. That's not what made it a great show. Sure, the mythology of the show was great and, for the most part, unique...but it was the blending of humor, action and drama, the way they could balance all of that, the characters and their relationships. The exploration, the planet of the week episodes, balanced nicely with episodes that contribute to the long-running arc. The way they would always bring back an element from the past if it helped them in a new storyline(as opposed to a lot of sci-fi shows up to that point, where the writers would rather come up with something new rather than reuse something from the past, even if it made sense to do so - which basically meant that they were ignoring the backstory)...that was the essence of Stargate. That's what brought people back for more.
          And, even with a darker edge to it, it still promises to have those elements. It's still very much a Stargate show. It doesn't have Egyptian Gods. So what? SGA didn't either, and that worked fine. You still have the Ancient element there, in terms of mythology. I mean, they ARE on an Ancient ship, afterall...

Comment

Originally posted by starburst View Post
            I dont think you can analyse elements from BSG and say "this is what SGU should have to get viewers", yes BSG had all of those things but it also had a very realistic style and a unique way of telling stories...what Universe needs to capture is the realism but keep the Stargate essence so to retain the Stargate audience but also draw in a larger non SG-1/Atlantis audience.
            We're now down to the questions of what was 'realism' in BSG and what is the Stargate essence? What kind of aspects will there have to be in SGU to draw in viewers who never bothered with SG-1, SGA or BSG?

Originally posted by starburst View Post
            Remember there are a large number of people who are fans of both shows already, I think the comparisons to BSG are getting a little out of hand with the idea that its meant to grab the fans of that series, Im hoping for a very different show as I doubt TPTB would want make a carbon copy of something a great many Stargate fans may have sitting on their DVD shelf (I have up till the first half of S4 on mine, just waiting for 4.5)
            I loved BSG but I wouldn't want a carbon copy of it either. BSG and Stargate were as different as chalk and cheese in many ways, though, as far as their approaches went. If TPTB for SGU are hoping to attract some ex-BSG fans who never bothered with Stargate, what are they regarding as the key elements of BSG? Obviously the answer to that is we have no idea at the moment.
            sigpic

Comment

But that's not the essence of Stargate. That's not what made it a great show. Sure, the mythology of the show was great and, for the most part, unique..

It doesn't have Egyptian Gods. So what? SGA didn't either, and that worked fine. You still have the Ancient element there, in terms of mythology. I mean, they ARE on an Ancient ship, afterall...
              Going by posts in various topics some people regard the Earth mythology as a key element of Stargate. SGA had Atlantis which tied into Earth mythology too. A number of Stargate fans want to learn more about the Ancients so will an Ancient ship reveal more about them and their society? Other fans think the Ancients are boring so would be a bit peeved if more was revealed, of course.

I suppose the real question is just who is SGU being aimed at. Even though the basic idea isn't making me feel thrilled to bits I'll be interested to find out what happens when the show gets underway. Who will be watching it? Will they be long term sci-fi fans or will the viewers include people who don't normally go for sci-fi? Will a lot of SG-1/SGA fans disappear or will most of them enjoy the new show?
              Last edited by ciannwn; 06 April 2009, 01:14 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Thats a difficult question. It depends on a variety of factors. What drew BSG fans to BSG? Does SGU have the same element in BSG that drew in the BSG fans? I think SGU will bring in some BSG fans. The real question is how many?
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Thats a difficult question. It depends on a variety of factors. What drew BSG fans to BSG? Does SGU have the same element in BSG that drew in the BSG fans? I think SGU will bring in some BSG fans. The real question is how many?
                  For myself, the idea of SGU being darker is somewhat vague. SGA had some very dark elements but a major fan criticism was that the moral and ethical issues raised by them was just glossed over.

Spoiler:
                  It seems there's going to a suicide on board the Destiny. Seeing as Stargate must be the sci-fi show with the highest body count when you add up all the humans and aliens killed in SG-1 and SGA, a suicide is hardly a big deal.
                  sigpic

Comment

For myself, the idea of SGU being darker is somewhat vague. SGA had some very dark elements but a major fan criticism was that the moral and ethical issues raised by them was just glossed over.

Spoiler:
                    It seems there's going to a suicide on board the Destiny. Seeing as Stargate must be the sci-fi show with the highest body count when you add up all the humans and aliens killed in SG-1 and SGA, a suicide is hardly a big deal.
                    Spoiler:
                    I think that is a stretch. Stargate hasn't killed off more characters then some SciFi shows at least in my eyes. Its all about reaction to make it a big deal. How does the SGU crew react to that suicde?
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Spoiler:
                      I think that is a stretch. Stargate hasn't killed off more characters then some SciFi shows at least in my eyes.
                      Spoiler:
                      I was including all the humans and aliens we just heard about dying as well as the ones we saw fall over - eg. the Pegasus humans who were wiped out by the Asurans and Michael.

Spoiler:
                      Its all about reaction to make it a big deal. How does the SGU crew react to that suicde?
                      Spoiler:
                      I hope it's more than -

"Fred the Redshirt has just shot himself."

"Oh dear. How sad. Never mind." (Phrase borrowed from It Ain't Half Hot Mum)
                      sigpic

Comment

If TPTB for SGU are hoping to attract some ex-BSG fans who never bothered with Stargate, what are they regarding as the key elements of BSG? Obviously the answer to that is we have no idea at the moment.
                        The answer is simple.

SGU will be darker, grittier, and more character-driven.
                        BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                          The answer is simple.

SGU will be darker, grittier, and more character-driven.
                          Darker than what? The Ori method of execution? Talion when Teal'c blew up an enemy Jaffa by putting a bomb in his symbiote pouch? A relapsed Prior bursting into flames? Experimenting on aliens without their consent?

Spoiler:
                          Humans experimenting on Wraith. Michael and the Pegasus Asgard experimenting on humans who were aliens to them.

Will SGU be as dark as BSG? How are TPTB defining grittier? More blood, more nudity and sex, heavy drinking and smoking, characters swearing or going to the bathroom?
                          sigpic

Comment

Darker than what? The Ori method of execution? Talion when Teal'c blew up an enemy Jaffa by putting a bomb in his symbiote pouch? A relapsed Prior bursting into flames? Experimenting on aliens without their consent?
                            These are some of the reasons why I would personally say Stargate is "darker" than BSG

But "darker" to most people is the way something is portrayed on screen. What you state above are all pretty dark things that can be shown or talked about in a not so dark way.

Example. There can be a pretty awesome scary horror movie about a killer werewolf if done properly. There can also be a great Saturday morning show for children about werewolfs. Just because the idea is dark, doesn't make it dark.
                            BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

These are some of the reasons why I would personally say Stargate is "darker" than BSG
                              BSG had suicide bombers, Gina ( a number 6) raped and tortured (we didn't see the actual details but we were shown her condition afterwards), children provided for perverts on the black market, a serial killer doctor, human women in a Cylon breeding farm etc. etc.

But "darker" to most people is the way something is portrayed on screen. What you state above are all pretty dark things that can be shown or talked about in a not so dark way.
                              In that case I'd say that BSG was darker because Stargate tended to sanitise things. It also sidestepped other things such as sex altogether.

Example. There can be a pretty awesome scary horror movie about a killer werewolf if done properly. There can also be a great Saturday morning show for children about werewolfs. Just because the idea is dark, doesn't make it dark.
                              Which brings us back to the question of what is darker supposed to mean in SGU?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X