Ronon Dex - Keep Him Single

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ronon Dex - Keep Him Single

In line with the Community Vision Statement we would like to constructively and respectfully discuss that there are just some “Ship” pairings that we can never appreciate. In fact sometimes we just don’t want to “Ship” a character at all.

This is the place to discuss all of those times for Ronon Dex.

Ronon Dex and a “Certain Someone” in a relationship just isn’t part of your enjoyment of the show. But, you do like him with another “Certain someone”. Should you still chat here? YES!! You are welcome to still post your thoughts regarding that pairing that hinders your enjoyment of the show.

But keep in mind there are other folks in here that that particular pairing has made Stargate Atlantis the best show on Sci Fi TV. So in keeping with the Community Vision Statement we ask that you express those opinions with respect, use decency in your tone and look to be constructive in your criticism.

That being said, if you adore a pairing then there are threads dedicated to the Appreciation of those pairings and this isn’t the place to just “defend their honor”. However, you are always welcome to engage in thoughtful discussion with any member willing to discuss their opposing opinions with you. But please understand that by coming into this thread you will be reading things that might not be as positive as you would hope about a pairing you support. Some posters will not like the pairing you support, some don't even want to recognize it. That IS their prerogative as fans. These fans are allowed to express that opinion in a thoughtful, and respectful manner.

They do not have to defend this opinion unless they choose to. As stated above no member HAS to engage in discussion at any time unless they choose to. NOR is this the place to *SET THESE FANS STRAIGHT*. Again if this is a pairing you enjoy, please go to the established Appreciation thread and involve yourself in appreciating them.

On the flip side, this is NOT a “FREE-FOR-ALL” ship-bashing thread. Folks can and will be engaging in many varied and thoughtful discussions. They will have varied levels of how little they prefer “Ship” with Ronon Dex. There is no criterion by which to measure this except the rules of decency and respect.

Now for some rules of the Road:
    Respect for fellow members of GateWorld is not an option, but a requirement and will be very strictly enforced. The firmly established rule of not discussing other threads or fandoms will be strictly enforced. On Topic may allow you the leeway of making friends but it will not allow you the carte blanche of disrespecting those you disagree with. Do not discuss them on this thread it is Off Topic.

Further moderation will cover code words that are meant as put downs and/or ways to circumvent the rules of this Forum.

Lastly GateWorld does not force you to read nor respond to any post. You computer monitor as well as your mouse comes equipped with a scroll function, you can bypass any post you feel you can not agree with or at the very least respond to in a respectful manner. While GateWorld encourages discussion of varied and diverse opinions in a civil and respectful manner. GateWorld also realizes that some passions run deeper for some. So for your added convenience there is also an ignore feature you can utilize along with your scroll function if you are unable to tolerate too many diverse opinions.
    Last edited by KatG; 03 April 2009, 07:24 AM.
    sigpic

Originally posted by KatG View Post

On the flip side, this is NOT a “FREE-FOR-ALL” ship-bashing thread. Folks can and will be engaging in many varied and thoughtful discussions. They will have varied levels of how little they prefer “Ship” with Dr Rodney McKay. There is no criterion by which to measure this except the rules of decency and respect.[/B]
    I think you mean Ronon Dex.
    sigpic

Comment

LOL. You're right. Ronon Dex it is.
      sigpic

Comment

Again, Kat, thank you for making a space for shipless talk about our favorite Satedan, Ronon
        sigpic

Comment

I just want to say I hated Ronon with Keller it was a mis match and I hated Quarantine because of the Deller scenes. Keller was all wrong for Ronon he needs a confident secure woman who is his equal.
          sigpic
          My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
          poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

I agree, but it was kinda sweet the way he offered to go with her and carry her stuff around. And so funny him and Rodney vying for her affections, the way they did it was great. I'm hoping they're not going to go into the whole Ronon-Amelia thing cos she went to see him at the end of the last ep...

Comment

There was never a /match/ with Keller to begin with, imo. They didn't kiss, they didn't date date...

If you were to have a love affair with everyone you /didn't/ kiss...

Perhaps a 'Teyla - Keep Her Single' thread as well?

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

I am a chronic shipper. And I do ship him with Jenn. However, I'd have rather seen him single forever than see his character treated as it was during that last season.
                sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

I am a huge Ronon Dex fan and I hated the attempted Ronon/Keller storyline. It just didn't fit - for me if Ronon's been alone for the past nine years why does he immediately fall for someone who is far too much like the girl he lost? It wasn't a healthy relationship in that aspect and that doesn't even bring in the lack of chemistry between the two either.

Towards the end (with Keller and then with another “certain someone”) I felt like the idea was very forced. Like someone suddenly decided ‘Let’s give the Satedan a girl’ and began throwing unsuitable or clichéd characters at him. Given all we saw of Ronon during “Sateda”, “Reunion” and “Broken Ties” he is a complex individual with deep feelings so why go for the shallow hook-ups? I'd rather see him single than thrown with someone for the heck of it.

Just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Cathain Nottingham View Post
                    Towards the end (with Keller and then with another “certain someone”) I felt like the idea was very forced. Like someone suddenly decided ‘Let’s give the Satedan a girl’ and began throwing unsuitable or clichéd characters at him. Given all we saw of Ronon during “Sateda”, “Reunion” and “Broken Ties” he is a complex individual with deep feelings so why go for the shallow hook-ups? I'd rather see him single than thrown with someone for the heck of it.
                    This sums up my thoughts perfectly. This is why I dislike both Ronon/Keller and Ronon/Amelia. I don't think Ronon would give himself away that easily. And his friendships with John and Teyla for example are already deep enough -- he doesn't need any romance.

Comment

I must say I don't find Ronon/Amelia all that interesting either...

I mean, what did the girl do? She kicked someone... And Ronon suddenly felt luff or what? Pfft.

I could mutter that they put him with a character we don't know nothing about, other than she pushes some buttons, but that might indicate for TPTB that we want Amelia developed, and that's not the case either.

Gotta be careful about what we say...

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                        This sums up my thoughts perfectly. This is why I dislike both Ronon/Keller and Ronon/Amelia. I don't think Ronon would give himself away that easily. And his friendships with John and Teyla for example are already deep enough -- he doesn't need any romance.
                        A point people might be missing is, because so many of us here think 'to ship' or 'not to ship' right away with a character, we don't see the other possibilities that, after several years, and learning how to relax and even possibly enjoy himself, he simply is being the friendly man he was on Sateda (which we never saw, but I'm thinking was likely part of his reality) so we read being friendly and simply being a man to mean he's looking to settle down, looking for something serious, instead of just being friendly. An seeming show interest in one moment does not a relationship make.

True, it was probably an awkward attempt (by the writers) at trying to make Ronon look like he's 'fitting in' more, rather than allowing him to stay true to his character.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cathain Nottingham View Post
                          I am a huge Ronon Dex fan and I hated the attempted Ronon/Keller storyline. It just didn't fit - for me if Ronon's been alone for the past nine years why does he immediately fall for someone who is far too much like the girl he lost? It wasn't a healthy relationship in that aspect and that doesn't even bring in the lack of chemistry between the two either.

Just my opinion
                          I'm with you. I don't mind seeing Ronon with someone eventually, but it just didn't make sense that Ronon would mourn so long for Melena(?), avoid romance while settling into Atlantis and then suddenly fall head over heals for Keller. I don't think Ronon's so dumb that he wouldn't figure out it was the resemblance to Melena more than Keller herself that was the attraction.

Ronon may be impulsive in some matters, but I don't see him as being so quick to fall in love. I would be fine with a slow, gentle buildup to something more with a well-developed character who complements him. None of this sudden attraction to Keller or Amelia. It's doesn't fit Ronon's character.

Comment

Very well said everyone. Until better, more developed characters and story lines come about for Ronon in the romance department, I only wanna see him in love with his gun. *mischievous grin* hehe }:O
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
                              ...it just didn't make sense that Ronon would mourn so long for Melena(?), avoid romance while settling into Atlantis and then suddenly fall head over heals for Keller. I don't think Ronon's so dumb that he wouldn't figure out it was the resemblance to Melena more than Keller herself that was the attraction...
                              I agree with this 100%. It makes no sense whatsoever, given that he openly admits in Q that he had thought she was weak - his trust and respect are not easily earned, so it is utterly out of character for him to fall giddily in love with someone he had only recently begun to have a positive opinion of.

And as for the dreadful implication that there might be some rebound romance with Banks - well that just undermines his character even more. We are lead to believe that after ten years of emotional struggle he fell in love with Keller, but she chooses Rodney, so Ronon is suddenly such a jack-the-lad that he'll pull the next hot chick to cross his path? Thanks writers, for that final nail in the character coffin
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X