Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deathly allergic to citrus, and other odd thoughts...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deathly allergic to citrus, and other odd thoughts...

So, I was trying to get to sleep last night, and instead was thinking about Rodney's 'citrus' allergy. You know, as you do...

Anyway, it occurred to me that they make a big deal of him being allergic to lemons. However, 'citrus' is a much broader allergy. Grapefruit, tangerines, oranges, limes, um...kumquats...

So, has anyone ever noticed a reference to him being allergic to any other citrus fruits?

Of course, for all I know there's a Great Clementine Scare in season five...

I haven't noticed, but you are right. I have a friend who is allergic to citrus - or, more specifically, citric acid - and he can't eat tomatoes, strawberries (most berries, in fact), and pineapple. The tomato thing is the hardest for him to avoid, because they can be in everything from pizza to soups to chili to salads.

So, if Rodney is eating spaghetti with marinara sauce, pizza with red sauce, and 5-alarm Texas chili, then he's a big fat fibber about the citrus allergy!

das
    sigpic

Comment

I remember in the time travel episode from sg1 were they use the modded jumper Rodney said that lemon was one of his favorite foods.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_5124 View Post
        I remember in the time travel episode from sg1 were they use the modded jumper Rodney said that lemon was one of his favorite foods.
        He says Lemon chicken not just 'lemon'.. i dont really know anyone who eats lemons whole on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_5124 View Post
          Originally posted by Kris_x-303 View Post
          He says Lemon chicken not just 'lemon'.. i dont really know anyone who eats lemons whole on their own.
          Ah, but that was because they had altered the time-line, (though why it would have affected his allergy I don't know!) so it was an 'in' joke. And it was lemon chicken specifically because that's what they were serving in the episode where he was introduced and said the "deathly allergic to citrus" line that I quoted!

[Oooh! I knew something! I don't feel like a complete newbie anymore...]

Comment

i dont really know anyone who eats lemons whole on their own.
            I do

Comment

Actually, that reminds me of a dessert in a book I just bought. It's called "Sussex Pond Pudding" and is a suet pudding with an entire lemon - the 'frog' - baked into the centre...

Now I know why the small print said, "Do not feed to Rodney"...
              Last edited by Alder; 31 March 2009, 09:41 AM.

Comment

My daughter does...she loves them.

Anywaaaay the impression I have been given is that mckay is a hypochrondriac and thinks he is allergic to citrus, most specifically lemons. He uses the reference of "citrus" but seems only to complain about lemons..... typical behavior!

Comment

I think it is mentioned that Rodney isn't allergic but that he is afraid of certain acidic properties or something.

It's funny either way.

My Controls · Edit Signature · Edit Avatar

Comment

Originally posted by Tich View Post
                    he is afraid of certain acidic properties or something.
                    He's...limonphobic?

If only you could see the disbelieving height of my eyebrows right now...I'd have to see a quote to that effect, I think.

Comment

Depending on the person, the allergy can even extend to non-citrus fruits like apples. They won't kill me, but I am allergic to citrus. Tomatoes are a big problem, yes, although I've found that if they are heavily processed they don't affect me. Oddly enough, neither do clementines.

Comment

Actually I just thought that he was a massive hypochondriac and only believed he was allergic. Drama queen that he likes to be, yet another thing to chuck a wobbly over.

Remember at the end of rising, when they're all having a big party after hooking up with Teyla's people. Rodney's standing next to Carson eating some chicken on a skewer, then sniffs it and says "is there lemon in this?" before putting it down. If he was, he would have been crying at Carson's feet wanting to be saved.

Just my two cents

Comment

Originally posted by PedroinTas View Post
                          Remember at the end of rising, when they're all having a big party after hooking up with Teyla's people. Rodney's standing next to Carson eating some chicken on a skewer, then sniffs it and says "is there lemon in this?" before putting it down. If he was, he would have been crying at Carson's feet wanting to be saved.

Just my two cents
                          Ah, but you see, I have a certain sympathy for that. I spent my childhood and teens knowing that just the smell of nuts made me feel queasy. I learned the hard way that it was a full allergy when I ate something with almonds by mistake. (Not. Fun. But I didn't die, yay!)

Anyway, since then the sight of me picking something up, getting it near to my face and then sniffing - "What...what's in this? It smells...nutty!!!!!!!" is fairly common.

[And I can identify fairly small amounts of nuts in food, I must be pretty sensitive to them.]

Comment

From what I understood - and I could be wrong - is that the severity of the allergy varied from person to person, and just because one has a citrus allergy, doesn't mean someone's allergic to all citrus fruits. I know a guy who is very allergic to Oranges... (so much so that when he was on a weekend exercises and wasn't pulling his weight, the rest of his squad slipped orange painted tennis balls into his sleeping bag - he ran faster than he had the whole weekend), in any case - I'm pretty sure it's JUST oranges he's deathly allergic to - but obviously other citrus fruits wouldn't particularly agree with him.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

This is the blame of the TPTB/writer's for not giving a CLEAR definition to Rodney's allergy.

I know they use the allergy as comic relief, but to have to people question weather you have a valid allergy is just weird.

No one EVER takes his allergy serious and that is the TPTB fault.
                              Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Working...
                              X