No announcement yet.

Cgi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless something happens like a successful movie, I doubt the series will be re-released in near future. Warner Bros. lost all the original cgi files for ships, planets etc.

The Lost Tales had less CGI than JMS originally wanted due to cost of rebuilding the computer models for the spaceships. That is the main reason there is only one type of Centauri capital ship and one type of Earth capital ship and fighter. The only new addition was the new Presidental cruiser.
    Spoiler:
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
      I agree. I happily watch the show today and still enjoy the effects.
      Remastering everything just to keep up with the audience of 'today'? I hate it. You'll have to remaster a show every ten years at that rate, if not more often. Just leave the original as it was and move on.
      I agree with this, to a point. I think B5 is a special situation since they filmed in widescreen for the regular shots (which made it to the current dvds) but not for the FX shots, so they look worse now on DVD than they did in the original 4:3 broadcasts. I think a fix of that problem would be great, but I don't think it would be cost effective for them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Redhooks View Post
        Unless something happens like a successful movie, I doubt the series will be re-released in near future. Warner Bros. lost all the original cgi files for ships, planets etc.

The Lost Tales had less CGI than JMS originally wanted due to cost of rebuilding the computer models for the spaceships. That is the main reason there is only one type of Centauri capital ship and one type of Earth capital ship and fighter. The only new addition was the new Presidental cruiser.
        Indeed. And JMS is on record thanking the dedicated fans who had created wireframe models and renders that TLT could and did use as a starting point for the CGI we do see. TLT looks very slick, but I still wish they'd spent more of the money on hiring extras to fill the empty corridors of the station, or otherwise explained the emptiness (i.e. the station was losing its importance as a central, neutral trading post and diplomatic center and would eventually be decommissioned). As it is, TLT looks cheap in spite of the impressive CGI.
        sigpic

Comment

The cgi in TLT was, for me... generic. It's today's standard, I'm accustomed to it now. The back-in-the-day effects continue to make me smile, though, considering how old [relatively speaking] they are, as well as the nostalgia.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I love B5's CGI, even the original "Gathering" print. I think it's amazing that it looks so good. B5 did not have a big budget, unfortunately, and the ability of Ron Thornton & his staff to churn out impressive CGI pleasantly surprises me.

And "The Gathering" was given a CGI facelift in 1998. That's the version on DVD, but the iTunes version is the original print.
            sigpic
            Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Working...
            X