Cgi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cgi

ok so i watched "the gathering" and payed attention all the way through for the first time. The story wasn't bad, the acting wasn't tooo bad... but the CGI was HORRIBLE. It would go from the interior gritty space station to the exterior Saturday morning cartoon. Please tell me the CGI gets better quickly.

Does it?
    BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

it does, at least imo
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
      it does, at least imo
      thank god.

I mean CGI isn't everything... but wow... it actually took away from the show. I would rather them not have showed anything.
      BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

It gets a ton better. There's only so much you can do with a pilot's limited budget in 1994.

Comment

Oh yes, it absolutely gets better. Especially in the 3rd and 4th seasons.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
            ok so i watched "the gathering" and payed attention all the way through for the first time. The story wasn't bad, the acting wasn't tooo bad... but the CGI was HORRIBLE. It would go from the interior gritty space station to the exterior Saturday morning cartoon. Please tell me the CGI gets better quickly.

Does it?
            you have to remember that this is the first television show to use CGI heavily and it is the first episode of the series so of course it's going to look bad

KEEP IT CLEAN
            Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
            Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
              It gets a ton better. There's only so much you can do with a pilot's limited budget in 1994.

I expected something better than the Original Star Trek. I was wrong.
              BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Comment

You're talking about two completely different mediums.

TOS used models with matte paintings (if they were even that "advanced"). B5 was the first large-scale use of CGI in a television series.

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post

Does it?
                  What cut of the Gathering did you watch? The original from 1992 or the redone TNT version from 1998. Because the TNT cut is 100 times more watchable. CGI is still almost 20 years old but it is what it is.
                  "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Babylon 5 is not a series for you if you are mainly interested in CGI, but if you are interested in character growth and a wonderful overall storyline then it's up there with the best.

Comment

So is there anyone else here who wouldn't mind a remastered Babylon 5 with updated CGI for the whole series? At the very least, I would like to see an updated effect for the PPG weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior Master View Post
                        So is there anyone else here who wouldn't mind a remastered Babylon 5 with updated CGI for the whole series? At the very least, I would like to see an updated effect for the PPG weapon.

I think most effects have held up really well. Would be cool, but I sure woldn't rebuy because of fresher effects.

suse
                        sigpic
                        Mourning Sanctuary.
                        Thanks for the good times!

Comment

I agree. I happily watch the show today and still enjoy the effects.
                          Remastering everything just to keep up with the audience of 'today'? I hate it. You'll have to remaster a show every ten years at that rate, if not more often. Just leave the original as it was and move on.
                          sigpic
                          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                            I think most effects have held up really well. Would be cool, but I sure woldn't rebuy because of fresher effects.

suse
                            I guess they could redo the effects for a blue-ray release, and any other future new-format releases.

Comment

but one thing
                              cgi of b5 is fare more les itriating than cgi of cruade
                              sorry cant spell

Comment

Working...
                              X