Fantastic Four Reboot: News/Discussion/Spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic Four Reboot: News/Discussion/Spoilers

Seems that the rumor mill is chatting it up that Fox is planning a complete reboot of the successful but not fan appreciated Fantastic Four franchise.
    IESB is reporting that they've heard word around town about a Fantastic Four reboot.

With Daredevil already getting the once over and Planet of the Apes also in the running for a new start with a prequel in the works Fantastic Four is joining the reboot gang.

The two films previously released never really caught on with the fans and the studio is reportedly looking to completely retool, recast and recrew the franchise. This means no Tim Story, no Iaon, no Julian (thank the maker, he never sat well with me as Dr. Doom), no Chris, no Chiklis and no Jessica.

The first Fantastic Four in 2005 pulled in over $330 million worldwide and the second film, Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer, opened in 2007 with a total box office take of $290 million. Both made money and were commercial successes but the reviews were lackluster and the fan reaction was mediocre.

The franchise is looking to be "less bubble gum" this time round following the Iron Man template, which was a complete success in reviews and box office take but a bit darker when it came to its superhero. Iron Man was in no way as dark as The Dark Knight but was funny, action-y as well as a bit on the serious side.

Now who do you want as Mr. Fantastic this time out? Which director would be the best choice to bring this story to the screen once again?"

I for one do not think that the Fantastic Four movies were as bad as say Superman Returns. If fox truely wants to make this once successful franchise a blockbuster hit then they should just change a couple things about the next installment. For instance please change who plays Dr. Doom!! Please hire a director that will portray the movie as it should be portrayed, as in showing the hero's/villins as they were in the comics or even close would be a good first step. The fan boy hype of FF2 was being able to see Silver Surfer in the movie and then the realization that if Silver Surfer was in the movie we would also get to see Galactus. But what we got to see was a cloud. I see clouds every day were I live. Not every movie can be Iron Man, the studio needs to leeve the Iron Man franchise to itself and create one that successfully represents The Fantastic Four.

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/L...S/news/?a=6556

hopefully not

First Fan four was very meh and Silver Surfer sucked

Fox should give it to somebody who can do hits like WB or Paramount

Comment

if fox let someone take it it will probably go to paramount after the success of iron man, but they'll probably just hold onto it, and emulate what the other studios are doing with comic book franchises.
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

I actually enjoyed the movies, and well there Jessica in them so that not going to change.

Personally there no need to reboot the franchise, just bring a descent director and respect the comics, no need to start over.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
          I actually enjoyed the movies, and well there Jessica in them so that not going to change.

Personally there no need to reboot the franchise, just bring a descent director and respect the comics, no need to start over.
          that's similar with what they did with The Incredible Hulk, going for a different theme/style, without disregarding Hulk, i think that would work well.

i think the cast have the characters of the 4 down quite well imho, i think evans and chiklis are perfect for their roles. it would be a shame to lose them, but i say if you are going to recast, recast everyone or noone.
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

I liked the first one, but not the Silver Surfer one very much. A reboot though? I just don't know.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Why not? It certainly couldn't be any worse than F4 of RotSS.

Jessica Alba, while an absolute goddess, is about as believable as a scientist as Denise Richards was as a nuclear physicist.

Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, and The Dark Knight were incredible comic movies; just top-notch. I hope to see more in their vein.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Why not? It certainly couldn't be any worse than F4 of RotSS.

Jessica Alba, while an absolute goddess, is about as believable as a scientist as Denise Richards was as a nuclear physicist.

But the comic character drawing never made her look like a scientist anyway, it seem like they just carried it over to the movie.
                Last edited by knowles2; 27 March 2009, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  I've been making that same comparison for years. She's pretty, but she comes off dumb as a brick. Also, there really wasn't much in the script for her to act 'smart'. knowles2, the comic artist may have made her look hot but the writer also made her talk and act smart.
                  The FF movies had the family feel of the book, but they were far too superficial and sickly sweet. And don't get me started on how Alicia Masters suddenly became a black woman and had nothing whatsoever to do with the Silver Surfer finding his humanity...
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I don't think a reboot is absolutely nessecary, the first FF4 movie wasn't very good, but I liked Rise of the Silver Surfer. They could make a sequel with a new cast though, if they rebot it then its fine, as long as it gets more fan appreciation.

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                      I've been making that same comparison for years. She's pretty, but she comes off dumb as a brick. Also, there really wasn't much in the script for her to act 'smart'. knowles2, the comic artist may have made her look hot but the writer also made her talk and act smart.
                      The FF movies had the family feel of the book, but they were far too superficial and sickly sweet. And don't get me started on how Alicia Masters suddenly became a black woman and had nothing whatsoever to do with the Silver Surfer finding his humanity...
                      That more the writers and may be director more than the actress fault.

Comment

I heard that they had contracts with the studio and actors for a 3rd movie. Then they weren't sure if they were going to let it die or try again.

Comment

I wouldn't mind a third film with the same cast. Just have a more serious tone with this one.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

quit doing reboots, remakes, etc. be creative hollywood! reboot after such a short time? come on guys, someone out there in hollywood has to be creative!!!!!!!!!
                            well.. better watch tv shows like fringe, bsg, stargate or chuck. you can learn from those guys
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
                              quit doing reboots, remakes, etc. be creative hollywood! reboot after such a short time? come on guys, someone out there in hollywood has to be creative!!!!!!!!!
                              well.. better watch tv shows like fringe, bsg, stargate or chuck. you can learn from those guys
                              Ironically BSG is also a reboot

Comment

Working...
                              X