This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Female characters on the show - concerns and issues

I love Stargate. However, SGU's sexy daughter of a powerful man who's unnerved by dire circumstances, a female medic who's overwhelmed, and a woman with a false sense of importance...welcome to the renewed Enlightenment period. We're a long way from Carter. I am disappointed.

Too early to judge.

I get that people want to have an opinion, it helps pass the time until the show is actually here, but it is way too early to make judgements about any of these characters based on what we know right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota View Post
      We're a long way from Carter.
      And that's a good thing
      sigpic

Comment

To early to judge anything.

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
          And that's a good thing
          agreed they want a new show not a sg-1 remake.

Comment

I just hope that there won't be any women who are basically background characters who barely do anything important except in certain instances, like Teyla.
            sigpic

Comment

I think it's too early to form an opinion about the female characters on SGU, partly because we've not been given a lot of information and partly because no one's actually seen an episode yet I do understand where you're coming from, though, and I sincerely hope the 'overwhelmed medic' won't be anything like Keller. In fact, I hope none of the new characters are like any of the characters we already know. This is a new show, and I'm fairly confident Brad and Robert have given the characters a lot of thought. I also hope the new ladies won't be used to bring 'sexy' into a scene, it would be nice to see some actual development for them. Seeing as this show appears to become 'more character driven', I think they'll be all right.

So, stay positive everyone and have faith in the abilities of Brad and Robert, it must be possible for science fiction writers to create capable woman characters, right?
              "The clowns? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!"

Comment

I love Stargate. However, SGU's sexy daughter of a powerful man who's unnerved by dire circumstances, a female medic who's overwhelmed, and a woman with a false sense of importance...welcome to the renewed Enlightenment period. We're a long way from Carter. I am disappointed.
                Would you have the same problem if it was a man with a false sence of self importance? Essentially she sounds like a female version of an early Woolsey and pretty much every IOA rep thats been shown, essentially a good thing as the character can grow.

The Medic is fine, shes a Medic not a Doctor so when she ends up in this situation shes unprepared to do the job shes needed to (essentially that of someone more qualified) meaning she will have to put her training to the test and grow as a character...good thing!

The one which still seems out of place is the senators daughty, Id guess shes there because she was with her father on the visit to the base (for some reason), the real question is what will she bring to the table when they are stuck on the Destiny?

I see no problems with the female characters, especially the Medic as we also have an inexperienced male SGC Officer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mariellelita View Post
                  I just hope that there won't be any women who are basically background characters who barely do anything important except in certain instances, like Teyla.
                  Green for you! i was just about the say the same thing. Lets hope these no Teyla 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
                    And that's a good thing
                    Agreed.

Comment

yep as much as I liked carter for the 10+ seasons, We don't need a Carter with a different name in the new show.

This is something different. Eventually the same old same old gets boring.
                      BSG (Drama/Soap Opera)

Soap Opera: The main characteristics that define soap operas are "an emphasis on family life, personal relationships, sexual dramas, emotional and moral conflicts; some coverage of topical issues; set in familiar domestic interiors with only occasional excursions into new locations

Drama: A drama film is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes

SG1/SGA are not Drama/Soap although some elements are touched on to add depth to these action/adventure series. If you want to see a show focused on Soap/Drama go watch BSG or Days of our Lives.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your point isn't that these are the female characters, but rather, that's all the female characters are. There's not enough gravitas among the female characters, and no one with any real authority. I agree with that. But we'll see, because the skill sets that worked before may not be the ones they need once they're on the Destiny.

Stargate has never had really strong female leads. I don't expect them to, now, either. There will always be a man, 40-50 years old, in charge. In that, they are just like SGA and SGU. If they really wanted to break with the past, the Colonel would be female- and first in the credits.

It'll never happen.
                        Last edited by VSS; 26 March 2009, 11:15 AM.

Comment

its not an issue because we havent seen enough of the show to be concerned...as for the "long way from sam" comment...why does every woman have to be like sam....its really getting old when people complain about a lack of originality and then when they introduce a different type of character we get comments like tht.

Comment

I don't think the original post is demanding a character exactly like Sam- more a character in the same strong spirit as Sam.

They started that in SGA with Teyla, but she vanished by the end of the show. They tried to do it with Weir, but it didn't fit. I suspect that's because neither Hammond nor Landry was ever heavily involved in the show, so trying to push the new leader in on everything just felt awkward. Then they brought us Keller, who did start of pretty whiney. They tried to strengthen her by the end, but for a lot of people, it was too late.

Now, none of the character profiles of the women in SGU even have a hint of independence, or strength. They all appear to be damsels in distress, something Sam never was, nor Teyla or even Weir. I hope I'm wrong, though. I want to be wrong! Please make me wrong PTBs!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                              Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your point isn't that these are the female characters, but rather, that's all the female characters are. There's not enough gravitas among the female characters, and no one with any real authority. I agree with that. But we'll see, because the skill sets that worked before may not be the ones they need once they're on the Destiny.

Stargate has never had really strong female leads. I don't expect them to, now, either. There will always be a man, 40-50 years old, in charge. In that, they are just like SGA and SGU. If they really wanted to break with the past, the Colonel would be female- and first in the credits.

It'll never happen.
                              Uh, being a strong female lead has nothing to do with being a 'leader' as such, in the show.

Comment

Working...
                              X