• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Variable (514)

Visit the Episode GuideLOST SEASON FIVE
    THE VARIABLE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 514

Daniel Faraday returns to the island with a plan to save everyone from the future they know. But his arrival heralds the end of his friends' quiet life with Dharma.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; 29 April 2009, 06:26 PM.

Oh-My-Goodness!!

What happened, happened, man! That was a freaking wild episode. It was nice they confirmed a lot of people's suspicions about some of our favourite characters, but holy crow, I did not see that ending coming! Poor Ellie!

Must watch again at midnight EST to get all the details because people around me would not be quiet!!
    sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

'Nuff said
      sigpic
      Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
      "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

so...i thought that they couldn't change the past. but now they can?

i could swear that someone said that the past has to play out the way it happened the first time and it can't be changed. but now their mission is to stop the future from playing out as it did the first time
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

i could swear that someone said that the past has to play out the way it happened the first time and it can't be changed. but now their mission is to stop the future from playing out as it did the first time
          That's what Daniel was trying to do, but by trying to change things he walked right into the situation his mom and dad (Charles Widmore, apparently) knew was gonna happen.
          || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
            That's what Daniel was trying to do, but by trying to change things he walked right into the situation his mom and dad (Charles Widmore, apparently) knew was gonna happen.
            Agreed. Daniel somehow got the idea into his head at Ann Arbor that he could change the past but he was destined to get that idea, go back to the Island and then get shot by his mom. I'd like to know why he changed his mind, but anyway, he definitely didn't change the past since she knew it would happen because it already happened. That must have been awful for her all those years.
            sigpic

Comment

next time drug their drinks
              Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
              Oh-My-Goodness!!

What happened, happened, man! That was a freaking wild episode. It was nice they confirmed a lot of people's suspicions about some of our favourite characters, but holy crow, I did not see that ending coming! Poor Ellie!

Must watch again at midnight EST to get all the details because people around me would not be quiet!!
              My Story:
              http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/10...%80%99s-story/

Comment

Daniel.

I figured he would die trying to stop the "Incident" and thus fail to stop it, but I certainly didn't see this twist...that his own mother would be the one to kill him...and that she sent him to the island knowing she would be the one to kill him.

Future speculation not based on any spoilers....

I still think something in the past will be changed to prevent the future...or that's the speculation I'm going with. And I think it will all hinge on Desmond pushing the button. Something will change and on that day Desmond is destined not to push the button resulting in Flight 315 crashing, he WILL push it, thus time loop adverted and Desmond is destined to push the button and never leave the island. Desmond is getting too much of a happy ending and I don't think it will end all that well for him by the time this is over.
                Last edited by LoneStar1836; 01 May 2009, 10:44 AM. Reason: wrong flight #
                IMO always implied.

Comment

I'm not one to avoid spoilers--in fact, I actively seek them out--but I wish I hadn't read this particular one before I saw the episode....

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

that was quite an emotional episode.

(((daniel)))

i don't understand why daniel's mom 'wanted' the past to play out the same way? wouldn't she want to do anything possible to stop it? maybe that's why she sent him back... no, she didn't prepare him for this.

again, *why* would this need to play out this way? i can only think because she knows farther into the future of something great that's going to happen, because i haven't seen anything that good happening in the past/now.

thoughs?
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                      that was quite an emotional episode.

(((daniel)))

i don't understand why daniel's mom 'wanted' the past to play out the same way? wouldn't she want to do anything possible to stop it? maybe that's why she sent him back... no, she didn't prepare him for this.

again, *why* would this need to play out this way? i can only think because she knows farther into the future of something great that's going to happen, because i haven't seen anything that good happening in the past/now.

thoughs?
                      I think she knew that things could not be changed, so she had to allow things to play out this way. I think the information that Daniel brought back had to get into Jack's hands in order for her history to play out as it did. Whatever Jack et al are about to do is necessary and will heppen as a direct consequence of the knowledge of the journal.
                      sigpic

Comment

Review: Lost 5.14: "The Variable"

Overall, this was another dense but thrilling step towards the season finale, and events are spinning out of control. The character focus is particularly compelling, and while the episode is a bit short on major revelations, it makes up for it in major implications.

Comment

I hope Eloise will suffer as long as possible... Dan could have deserved better parents.
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Dumb Struck. What a way to die.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

Here are my musings based on reading past Darlton interviews and from watching last nights episode. The Past cannot be changed, and whatever happened, happened is their mantra. However, according to Daniel (*sob*) your choices in your present shape your future - hence the variable. Sawyer, Jack, Juliet, Kate, Hurley, Jin, Sayid and Miles are all living in *their* present regardless of the fact it's 1977. So their choices now could well alter events. It's not so much about changing the past (although it might look that way if you're on the beach with Locke in 2008), now it's about changing the future.

And seriously, am I the only one who does *not* want Jack to succeed in changing events? If Oceanic 815 does not crash then Kate goes to prison; Claire gives Aaron up for adoption; Sun and Jin's marriage never heals; Sawyer stays the con man he was instead of becoming the leader he is now; Locke remains paralysed; Charlie probably would have died an addict rather than a hero; Rose would die of cancer; Juliet would still get recruited and be living under Ben's thumb; although Ben would eventually die of his spinal tumour; and Jack wasn't exactly doing so well before the crash either. So many of the Lost characters are better because of the Island. If there's a big fat reset button sitting at the end of this series I will be really mad. People were angry when they re-set just one season of Dallas to bring Bobby Ewing back. This would be re-setting six! I'd wonder what the point was. So yeah, plz Jack, don't be succeeding k? thx bai.
                            sigpic

Comment

I Think the future does change but only in so far that desmond vision of them getting off the island in a rescue helicopter an that the events of the last 3 years from oceanic 6 an Sawyer and the other plane crash will all be undone.

But Widmore being Daniel father was a surprise to me. And daniel is not necessarily dead either there always the temple to heal him.

Comment

Working...
                              X