Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post The Variable (514)

Visit the Episode GuideLOST SEASON FIVE
    THE VARIABLE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 514

Daniel Faraday returns to the island with a plan to save everyone from the future they know. But his arrival heralds the end of his friends' quiet life with Dharma.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; April 29th, 2009 at 07:26 PM.

Sitting in a corner, waiting for the 3rd SG1 movie

Default Re: The Variable (514)

Oh-My-Goodness!!

What happened, happened, man! That was a freaking wild episode. It was nice they confirmed a lot of people's suspicions about some of our favourite characters, but holy crow, I did not see that ending coming! Poor Ellie!

Must watch again at midnight EST to get all the details because people around me would not be quiet!!

Spoiler:

'Nuff said

Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
    "We're not going to Guam are we?"

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

so...i thought that they couldn't change the past. but now they can?

i could swear that someone said that the past has to play out the way it happened the first time and it can't be changed. but now their mission is to stop the future from playing out as it did the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post

i could swear that someone said that the past has to play out the way it happened the first time and it can't be changed. but now their mission is to stop the future from playing out as it did the first time
    That's what Daniel was trying to do, but by trying to change things he walked right into the situation his mom and dad (Charles Widmore, apparently) knew was gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
    That's what Daniel was trying to do, but by trying to change things he walked right into the situation his mom and dad (Charles Widmore, apparently) knew was gonna happen.
    Agreed. Daniel somehow got the idea into his head at Ann Arbor that he could change the past but he was destined to get that idea, go back to the Island and then get shot by his mom. I'd like to know why he changed his mind, but anyway, he definitely didn't change the past since she knew it would happen because it already happened. That must have been awful for her all those years.

TV Re: The Variable (514)

next time drug their drinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalthea View Post
    Oh-My-Goodness!!

What happened, happened, man! That was a freaking wild episode. It was nice they confirmed a lot of people's suspicions about some of our favourite characters, but holy crow, I did not see that ending coming! Poor Ellie!

Must watch again at midnight EST to get all the details because people around me would not be quiet!!

Daniel.

I figured he would die trying to stop the "Incident" and thus fail to stop it, but I certainly didn't see this twist...that his own mother would be the one to kill him...and that she sent him to the island knowing she would be the one to kill him.

Future speculation not based on any spoilers....

I still think something in the past will be changed to prevent the future...or that's the speculation I'm going with. And I think it will all hinge on Desmond pushing the button. Something will change and on that day Desmond is destined not to push the button resulting in Flight 315 crashing, he WILL push it, thus time loop adverted and Desmond is destined to push the button and never leave the island. Desmond is getting too much of a happy ending and I don't think it will end all that well for him by the time this is over.
    Last edited by LoneStar1836; May 1st, 2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: wrong flight #
    IMO always implied.

Lieutenant Colonel warmbeachbrat's Avatar

I'm not one to avoid spoilers--in fact, I actively seek them out--but I wish I hadn't read this particular one before I saw the episode....

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...or/leeanim.gif and Spudster made another neat one http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/3658/lee1ec.gif Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:
    http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...ilightBark.gif

that was quite an emotional episode.

(((daniel)))

i don't understand why daniel's mom 'wanted' the past to play out the same way? wouldn't she want to do anything possible to stop it? maybe that's why she sent him back... no, she didn't prepare him for this.

again, *why* would this need to play out this way? i can only think because she knows farther into the future of something great that's going to happen, because i haven't seen anything that good happening in the past/now.

thoughs?
    sally

Quote Originally Posted by majorsal View Post
    that was quite an emotional episode.

(((daniel)))

i don't understand why daniel's mom 'wanted' the past to play out the same way? wouldn't she want to do anything possible to stop it? maybe that's why she sent him back... no, she didn't prepare him for this.

again, *why* would this need to play out this way? i can only think because she knows farther into the future of something great that's going to happen, because i haven't seen anything that good happening in the past/now.

thoughs?
    I think she knew that things could not be changed, so she had to allow things to play out this way. I think the information that Daniel brought back had to get into Jack's hands in order for her history to play out as it did. Whatever Jack et al are about to do is necessary and will heppen as a direct consequence of the knowledge of the journal.

Chief Master Sergeant entil2001's Avatar

Review: Lost 5.14: "The Variable"

Overall, this was another dense but thrilling step towards the season finale, and events are spinning out of control. The character focus is particularly compelling, and while the episode is a bit short on major revelations, it makes up for it in major implications.

I hope Eloise will suffer as long as possible... Dan could have deserved better parents.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Dumb Struck. What a way to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post

Here are my musings based on reading past Darlton interviews and from watching last nights episode. The Past cannot be changed, and whatever happened, happened is their mantra. However, according to Daniel (*sob*) your choices in your present shape your future - hence the variable. Sawyer, Jack, Juliet, Kate, Hurley, Jin, Sayid and Miles are all living in *their* present regardless of the fact it's 1977. So their choices now could well alter events. It's not so much about changing the past (although it might look that way if you're on the beach with Locke in 2008), now it's about changing the future.

And seriously, am I the only one who does *not* want Jack to succeed in changing events? If Oceanic 815 does not crash then Kate goes to prison; Claire gives Aaron up for adoption; Sun and Jin's marriage never heals; Sawyer stays the con man he was instead of becoming the leader he is now; Locke remains paralysed; Charlie probably would have died an addict rather than a hero; Rose would die of cancer; Juliet would still get recruited and be living under Ben's thumb; although Ben would eventually die of his spinal tumour; and Jack wasn't exactly doing so well before the crash either. So many of the Lost characters are better because of the Island. If there's a big fat reset button sitting at the end of this series I will be really mad. People were angry when they re-set just one season of Dallas to bring Bobby Ewing back. This would be re-setting six! I'd wonder what the point was. So yeah, plz Jack, don't be succeeding k? thx bai.

I Think the future does change but only in so far that desmond vision of them getting off the island in a rescue helicopter an that the events of the last 3 years from oceanic 6 an Sawyer and the other plane crash will all be undone.

But Widmore being Daniel father was a surprise to me. And daniel is not necessarily dead either there always the temple to heal him.

Quote Originally Posted by knowles2 View Post
    But Widmore being Daniel father was a surprise to me. And daniel is not necessarily dead either there always the temple to heal him.
    Eloise spoke about her great sacrifice, so I am sure Dan is dead. She didn't say to Widmore "I had to send him there, where I will hurt him, but we will save it."

I believe Daniel's theory is wrong. They can't change past and I hope the creators won't delete the timeline of earlier seasons.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    Eloise spoke about her great sacrifice, so I am sure Dan is dead. She didn't say to Widmore "I had to send him there, where I will hurt him, but we will save it."

I believe Daniel's theory is wrong. They can't change past and I hope the creators won't delete the timeline of earlier seasons.
    See she said hurt him, not kill him. Subtle difference, best never to get confuse when working with the mafia. But I am guesting it is the island and stop him from using the bomb.

And the creators playing with time of cause they going to delete someone or some event from the timeline, it not a matter of if, it a matter of when.
    Last edited by knowles2; May 1st, 2009 at 11:43 AM.

I think Daniel is dead. At least, he looked pretty dead at the end of the episode. The Lost writers are creative which is why I think the Temple won't factor in saving him. They just used it to save a mortally wounded young Ben, and they've already said it will have consequences. They wouldn't use the same plot device twice in such a short space of time. I think Daniel is dead, simply because it's such an epic way to die.

Quote Originally Posted by warmbeachbrat View Post
    I'm not one to avoid spoilers--in fact, I actively seek them out--but I wish I hadn't read this particular one before I saw the episode....
    Well that really sucks.

I thought Daniel was really stupid for going into the camp with a gun, but didn't really think they would kill him yet.

And I do think Dan is dead. No island resurrection for him otherwise it wastes the impact of that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by PengYn View Post
    Here are my musings based on reading past Darlton interviews and from watching last nights episode. The Past cannot be changed, and whatever happened, happened is their mantra. However, according to Daniel (*sob*) your choices in your present shape your future - hence the variable. Sawyer, Jack, Juliet, Kate, Hurley, Jin, Sayid and Miles are all living in *their* present regardless of the fact it's 1977. So their choices now could well alter events. It's not so much about changing the past (although it might look that way if you're on the beach with Locke in 2008), now it's about changing the future.
    But their present is also the past in theory. So changing their present, still changes the island's past.

So either they are destined to repeat the past (in their present) or they do actually change something from the previous past and rewrite island history which in effect alters the timeline in the future.

We would never know if anything has changed unless the writers show it using a familiar event from the three/four previous seasons of LOST.

The show is to address the "Incident" in the reamaning eps but I don't see anything changing from what we already know happened considering it is a major event on the island and would more than likely be too big of a timeline changing event.

This season has just been an exploration of the island's past.

Quote Originally Posted by PengYn View Post
    And seriously, am I the only one who does *not* want Jack to succeed in changing events? If Oceanic 815 does not crash then Kate goes to prison; Claire gives Aaron up for adoption; Sun and Jin's marriage never heals; Sawyer stays the con man he was instead of becoming the leader he is now; Locke remains paralysed; Charlie probably would have died an addict rather than a hero; Rose would die of cancer; Juliet would still get recruited and be living under Ben's thumb; although Ben would eventually die of his spinal tumour; and Jack wasn't exactly doing so well before the crash either. So many of the Lost characters are better because of the Island. If there's a big fat reset button sitting at the end of this series I will be really mad. People were angry when they re-set just one season of Dallas to bring Bobby Ewing back. This would be re-setting six! I'd wonder what the point was. So yeah, plz Jack, don't be succeeding k? thx bai.
    Well I don't particularly want a reset either but at the moment I'm not seeing a lot of other options.

- The reset button is hit pissing off a lot of people. I think there will more than likely be some resetting of something.

- Nothing is changed in the past and Jack, Kate, Sawyer, etc of whoever survives live out the rest of their lives in the past going to the present and there are two of themselves on the planet. (they warn their future selves to never go to Australia. lol! thus tossing this into the reset bin....) Not particularly seeing this happen...ever.

- They find a way back to the "present" timeline that they left from when they jumped back to the past...somebody "moves" the island again to get them back to the present. The most probably I'd say but then it would be the thing that people are most expecting I would think which makes me wonder if tptb will go with the obvious ending (Hmmm...or maybe the reset is the obvious ending...) Anyway, those that survive either remain on the island or find a way off. Heh, they remain and become the island's new set of "Others". The END.
    IMO always implied.

I've probably said it 100 times all over the internets, but I firmly believe that whatever happened, happened. I think Daniel deciding to change the future is what happened, and the fact that it gives Jack the bright idea to try and change things will lead to the incident at the Swan and it'll happen that way because it always happened that way.

I keep remembering Daniel earlier in the season saying even if you tried to change the past, the timeline would correct itself. Nothing they do will change the fact that flight 815 crashed on the island in 2004.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast