No announcement yet.

How expensive are the dvds!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It just ticks me off so much that the Farscape DVDs aren't more available to potential new fans. It should not be difficult to enjoy this show.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
      It just ticks me off so much that the Farscape DVDs aren't more available to potential new fans. It should not be difficult to enjoy this show.
      It is and can be annoying but I know here in the States (and maybe in some Canadian cities as well) Farscape fans either donated or pushed (gently and politely) their local libraries into getting or accepting donations of the DVDs. There is also video rental. So it's not IMPOSSIBLE for folks to find and watch FS on DVD, some people just have to be willing to work for it, or at least, ask the right FS fans how to get the DVDs. I have a fellow The Closer fan who's interested in checking the show out. I've pointed her to check with her local library and to check with NetFlix.

I'm not sure what Sony's deal is unless they really haven't worked a new deal with Henson, et al to produce more DVDs for the masses.
      sigpic
      I prefer to be called Sunny, Sun or SK. Thanks.

Comment

Just with the 10 year anniversary, it would have been great to re-release the seasons.
        sigpic
        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Just get the region two DVD's. There are about £25 per season on amazon.co.uk, which even when converted to US is way cheaper than you'll even get a used set on ebay. Plus I personally like the R2 sets more. Not quite as feature-heavy as the starburst sets but better than the original ADV releases. Commentaries are a bit mismatched, each region having it's exclusives (even R4), but the extra cost for the R1 commentaries isn't worth it unless you're shooting for the starburst sets with even more exclusives. Plus the R2's just look cooler...box and menu designs are superb.

It's a shame Starburst and R2 have their exclusives. Forcing me to get them both complete. Getting ahold of all the Starburst sets is currently hell.

I think the problem with Sony is they'll never release anything until they have ALL of Farscape's rights. As of right now I believe ADV still has the licence for the last season or two and are just letting them expire.

And truthfully, should ADV ever have had them in the first place? I always found it strange looking at their site, being 99% anime and all.
          Last edited by Chricton; 28 March 2009, 09:26 PM.
          Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Originally posted by Chricton View Post
            Just get the region two DVD's. There are about £25 per season on amazon.co.uk, which even when converted to US is way cheaper than you'll even get a used set on ebay. Plus I personally like the R2 sets more. Not quite as feature-heavy as the starburst sets but better than the original ADV releases. Commentaries are a bit mismatched, each region having it's exclusives (even R4), but the extra cost for the R1 commentaries isn't worth it unless you're shooting for the starburst sets with even more exclusives. Plus the R2's just look cooler...box and menu designs are superb.

It's a shame Starburst and R2 have their exclusives. Forcing me to get them both complete. Getting ahold of all the Starburst sets is currently hell.

I think the problem with Sony is they'll never release anything until they have ALL of Farscape's rights. As of right now I believe ADV still has the licence for the last season or two and are just letting them expire.

And truthfully, should ADV ever have had them in the first place? I always found it strange looking at their site, being 99% anime and all.
            yeah it is much cheaper in the uk....sadly i bought season 1 and 2 from amzon in the us...im 19..not like i have kids to feed with that money lol

Comment

Originally posted by kennythewraith View Post
              not in the US...i ordered mine from amazon...they are very expensive....season one and 4 are around 141 dollars,season 2 is 78 and season 3 is 99.
              Ouch! Okay, so I probably paid over a 150 for season 1 (buying them one frelling disc at a time!). But if you go to used sellers on amazon, half.com, and ebay, you should be able to find some deals. Seasons three and four often sell for under $50. So don't worry, if you already have season 1 and 2, things should get easier from there. I also found that prices on ebay were slightly lower in the past few months (probably recession related).

But you will love your seasons! It's such a great series. Just really, really phenomenal. And it's so much nicer to have them all so you can watch them straight through. I would hate to have to watch them out of order.
              Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
              Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
                Ouch! Okay, so I probably paid over a 150 for season 1 (buying them one frelling disc at a time!). But if you go to used sellers on amazon, half.com, and ebay, you should be able to find some deals. Seasons three and four often sell for under $50. So don't worry, if you already have season 1 and 2, things should get easier from there. I also found that prices on ebay were slightly lower in the past few months (probably recession related).

But you will love your seasons! It's such a great series. Just really, really phenomenal. And it's so much nicer to have them all so you can watch them straight through. I would hate to have to watch them out of order.
                Farscape would definitely be harder to understand fully if watched out of order. Episodes build off of what has come before more than most shows.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

make sure if your looking for the Region 1 dvds you try to get the Starburst Edition because the original release was frelling expensive to begin with (about $120 US a season if I remember correctly ). When the Starburst Edition first came out it was half that or less if you found them on sale.
                  sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Only problem now is many of the starburst sets are considered rare. 2.1, 2.3 and 4.2 are relatively easy to find and cheap to buy, $10-20 at most on ebay. But the others range from 35-120! Sets like 3.1, 3.3, 4.1, 4.3 and the four-disc versions of any season one set sell as if they are made of gold.

I've been slowly grabbing them when I see them for cheap, usually from guys selling who don't realize they are worth much more, but in the end you'll end up paying faaar more than you probably want to. Especially when you consider these sets were originally released as a sort of "budget" version of the big 149.99 MSRP box sets.

In fact, getting all the big ADV box sets is cheaper. 3.1 and 3.3 starburst sets alone run about $100 each these days. $200 for 2/3 of a single season. Defines travesty.

I envy anyone who was smart enough to pick these up back when they were 20 each. I made the mistake of waiting thinking ADV would eventually box them all and sell as a single set or four individual season sets...
                    Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

Only problem now is many of the starburst sets are considered rare. 2.1, 2.3 and 4.2 are relatively easy to find and cheap to buy, $10-20 at most on ebay. But the others range from 35-120! Sets like 3.1, 3.3, 4.1, 4.3 and the four-disc versions of any season one set sell as if they are made of gold.

I've been slowly grabbing them when I see them for cheap, usually from guys selling who don't realize they are worth much more, but in the end you'll end up paying faaar more than you probably want to. Especially when you consider these sets were originally released as a sort of "budget" version of the big 149.99 MSRP box sets.

In fact, getting all the big ADV box sets is cheaper. 3.1 and 3.3 starburst sets alone run about $100 each these days. $200 for 2/3 of a single season. Defines travesty.

I envy anyone who was smart enough to pick these up back when they were 20 each. I made the mistake of waiting thinking ADV would eventually box them all and sell as a single set or four individual season sets...
                      I was very lucky to collect mine before the prices sky-rocketed.
                      sigpic
                      "...phu...ah..."

Comment

im just toughing it...i just got hired and will be saving up to get seasons 3 and 4.peacekeepr wars is only 10 bucks on amazon so that wont be a problem to get.at least i know that i will be getting quality entertainment at least so it kinda makes it easier to cope.

Comment

Originally posted by kennythewraith View Post
                          im just toughing it...i just got hired and will be saving up to get seasons 3 and 4.peacekeepr wars is only 10 bucks on amazon so that wont be a problem to get.at least i know that i will be getting quality entertainment at least so it kinda makes it easier to cope.
                          That can definitely ease the pain a little bit.
                          sigpic
                          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderstorm View Post
                            make sure if your looking for the Region 1 dvds you try to get the Starburst Edition because the original release was frelling expensive to begin with (about $120 US a season if I remember correctly ). When the Starburst Edition first came out it was half that or less if you found them on sale.
                            My Starburst editions (seasons 2 and 3) were decently priced (used off of ebay, but sold as a complete season). I agree that these can save you quite a bit of money. The problem is that it's a game you play with ebay sellers, and it takes some patience to find someone who will sell a complete Starburst set. It worked for me, but it is very tricky.

Dang! Guess I was wrong with my theory that the prices were going down due to the economy (though that is how I snagged disc 8 of season 1 in order to finish off my collection last month).

You're right about the volumes that are considered "rare." I saw disc 8 of season 1 sell for as much as $50-$60... and that's only two episodes! I want to know who decides that some of them are "rare" and others aren't. Because sometimes there are terrific deals, and sometimes they are absolutely outrageous. But like I said, it's a game. You win some, you lose some. Sometimes you get a decent deal, but sometimes you don't.
                            Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                            Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

farscape used to be really expensive over here in the UK too, but now you can get 1-4+PKW for £95 which is probably $150 or so
                              Spoiler:
                              Disclaimer:
                              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                              Quotes!
                              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                                farscape used to be really expensive over here in the UK too, but now you can get 1-4+PKW for £95 which is probably $150 or so
                                Wow! So, any idea why it's cheaper in the UK now? I mean, if it used to be expensive, what changed?

Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Working...
                                X