Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battlestar Galactica's Final Hour: Love it or Hate it? (spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battlestar Galactica's Final Hour: Love it or Hate it? (spoilers)

I am not talking about the entire episode of 'Daybreak', just everything that happens after Starbuck makes the jump.

Personally, I hated it. A lot. It was the worst series finale I have ever seen. But I am wondering what the general consensus is.

Why can't I make this a poll? That is what I want. The mods have to do it? Why is that? Well can you, please? Here are the options I was going to use:

Loved it
    Flawed, but good
    Meh
    Hated It
    Sign the Petition to get the SG-1 Complete Series Bonus Discs released separately!
    http://www.petitiononline.com/SG1CSBD/petition.html

Largely, loved it. I'm not thrilled with the Starbuck resolution, and the NYC bit was completely unnecessary. If it had ended with Adama on the hill, it would've been 10x better an ending.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT. I can not imagine it being done any other way.

Comment

I expected to like it since I knew there'd at least be some action, didn't like it as much as I thought I might, but I didn't think it was terrible. The whole 'higher power' thing annoyed me though, it's such a cop out, you can explain away anything you like with that sort of thing.

Comment

IMO it had almost as many endings as the Lord of the Rings. I was also left with a sad feeling after both BSG and LOTR too.

I also find it hard to believe that Adama
          Spoiler:
          would go on to live in seclusion after Roslin died and that Apollo and Tigh would appear to be OK with it.

Comment

I loved it overall. You are always left wanting more, but I thought it was a fitting end to this amazing show.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by NK1969 View Post
              IMO it had almost as many endings as the Lord of the Rings. I was also left with a sad feeling after both BSG and LOTR too.

I also find it hard to believe that Adama
              Spoiler:
              would go on to live in seclusion after Roslin died and that Apollo and Tigh would appear to be OK with it.
              Yeah to be honest the more I think about it, the more things in it annoy me. Looking back even the whole battle part seemed a bit too contrived, I mean for the writers it obviously served a purpose, to offload their CG budget (and the CG was unbelievably good) and to wrap up opera house thing, but in terms of the plot it seemed a bit pointless. I suppose from a character standpoint it worked out OK, lots of resolutions, but it made the plot a bit of a mish-mash, and I wasn't too sure how to feel about it in the end.

Comment

Hated it…the same as I hated the entire 4th season. Moore became way too self-indulgent in the last half of the 3rd season and the show began to leave out many of the key elements that made it good in the beginning. I agree with Beckmen’s post above in that it was the worst series finale that I’ve ever seen as well. The series started out with a bang but in my opinion fizzled out. If this truly was the route they wanted to go with the finale they could have cut out 80 percent of the boring crap that the 4th season was. We didn’t need to go down that long a road to get to the finale. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not all about special effects and action but when you go back and compare the first couple of season with season 4 it completely turned into a dark and dull show that didn’t hold continuity with the earlier seasons. I’m sure the finale and the events of season 4 satisfied most viewers but it fell short for me personally. Oh, and I won’t be investing any of my time watching Caprica…aka Crapica

Comment

Loved it, for the same reason I loved the entire series from the beginning and for the fact that it stayed true to its beginnings.

Spoiler:
                  "I laid out the cabin today. It's gonna have an easterly view. Should see the light that we get here when the sun comes from behind those mountains! It's almost heavenly. It reminds me of you."
                  ---Bill Adama

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    Largely, loved it. I'm not thrilled with the Starbuck resolution, and the NYC bit was completely unnecessary. If it had ended with Adama on the hill, it would've been 10x better an ending.

damn right
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

TBH, I could have done without the Starbuck flashbacks and the coda, but overall I enjoyed it.

Comment

Loved it.
                        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Loved it. Near perfect end.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

The last hour after the jump, hated it. "God did it" is not an ending, "God did it" is what you write when you can't think of an ending.

Furthermore it's made even worse by the obvious hand of plot forcing other aspects of the story into it. The whole idea that 30,000 people will all agree to just give up their technology and live like cavemen because that's a more spiritually rich way of living or something is absolutely asinine luddite bull****. They hand wave it away with some line about clean slates. Yeah sorry guys, no amount of clean slates are going to make me agree to give up modern medical care, wipe my ass with leaves, sleep every night in the rain and bugs, constantly live in fear of starvation, disease, injury and dangerous animals and die of "old age" when I'm 40, nor subject any children I may have to the same life, just because Lee Adama thinks technology is inherently evil. This is what I survived four years on the run for?

I'd sooner go with the damn Centurions on their baseship, and I'm betting that if those were the only two options a lot of people would join me to.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                              The last hour after the jump, hated it. "God did it" is not an ending, "God did it" is what you write when you can't think of an ending.
                              Would you do me a big favor and elaborate on this? There have been a few posts in other threads similar to this, and I have asked others to respond with how they are getting this interpretation, but no luck so far...I don't see it myself, but I'm curious about this interpretation.

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                              Furthermore it's made even worse by the obvious hand of plot forcing other aspects of the story into it. The whole idea that 30,000 people will all agree to just give up their technology and live like cavemen because that's a more spiritually rich way of living or something is absolutely asinine luddite bull****. They hand wave it away with some line about clean slates. Yeah sorry guys, no amount of clean slates are going to make me agree to give up modern medical care, wipe my ass with leaves, sleep every night in the rain and bugs, constantly live in fear of starvation, disease, injury and dangerous animals and die of "old age" when I'm 40, nor subject any children I may have to the same life, just because Lee Adama thinks technology is inherently evil. This is what I survived four years on the run for?
                              Maybe the people realized that staying on the ships was a dead end and they'd have to adopt a simpler lifestyle sooner rather than later. They were running out of supplies (including meds and TP I'm sure ), fuel to power the ships or any equipment they moved down to the planet was probably pretty close to exhausted. Existence on New Caprica was damn primative and yet the majority of the people in the fleet chose that over remaining cooped up on the ships. Bear in mind that for the majority of the people, the ships were overcrowded, the amenities were limited or non-existent and food supplies were limited (witness the food riots in Dogsville on the Galactica herself). Primative live in the fresh air might not look that bad....

We know Lee's reasoning, and that the skin jobs, Final Three of Five and other people "in the know" shared this reasoning. We have no idea what the majority of the population was told beyond something obvious like "You're being moved to the planet". Maybe they weren't told much beyond that at all. As soon as I heard Adama's reply of "Don't underestimate the power of a clean slate", I immediately thought of his response to Tigh after he'd blackmailed Zarek - "I appealed to his intellect" - and wondered what spin had been put on what the people had been told.

Spoiler:
                              "I laid out the cabin today. It's gonna have an easterly view. Should see the light that we get here when the sun comes from behind those mountains! It's almost heavenly. It reminds me of you."
                              ---Bill Adama

Comment

Working...
                              X