Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Battlestar Galactica's Final Hour: Love it or Hate it? (spoilers)

I am not talking about the entire episode of 'Daybreak', just everything that happens after Starbuck makes the jump.

Personally, I hated it. A lot. It was the worst series finale I have ever seen. But I am wondering what the general consensus is.

Why can't I make this a poll? That is what I want. The mods have to do it? Why is that? Well can you, please? Here are the options I was going to use:

Loved it
    Flawed, but good
    Meh
    Hated It
    Sign the Petition to get the SG-1 Complete Series Bonus Discs released separately!
    http://www.petitiononline.com/SG1CSBD/petition.html

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica's Final Hour: Love it or Hate it? (spoilers)

Largely, loved it. I'm not thrilled with the Starbuck resolution, and the NYC bit was completely unnecessary. If it had ended with Adama on the hill, it would've been 10x better an ending.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT. I can not imagine it being done any other way.

Major General

I expected to like it since I knew there'd at least be some action, didn't like it as much as I thought I might, but I didn't think it was terrible. The whole 'higher power' thing annoyed me though, it's such a cop out, you can explain away anything you like with that sort of thing.

Probie

IMO it had almost as many endings as the Lord of the Rings. I was also left with a sad feeling after both BSG and LOTR too.

I also find it hard to believe that Adama
    Spoiler:
    would go on to live in seclusion after Roslin died and that Apollo and Tigh would appear to be OK with it.

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

I loved it overall. You are always left wanting more, but I thought it was a fitting end to this amazing show.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by NK1969 View Post
    IMO it had almost as many endings as the Lord of the Rings. I was also left with a sad feeling after both BSG and LOTR too.

I also find it hard to believe that Adama
    Spoiler:
    would go on to live in seclusion after Roslin died and that Apollo and Tigh would appear to be OK with it.
    Yeah to be honest the more I think about it, the more things in it annoy me. Looking back even the whole battle part seemed a bit too contrived, I mean for the writers it obviously served a purpose, to offload their CG budget (and the CG was unbelievably good) and to wrap up opera house thing, but in terms of the plot it seemed a bit pointless. I suppose from a character standpoint it worked out OK, lots of resolutions, but it made the plot a bit of a mish-mash, and I wasn't too sure how to feel about it in the end.

Staff Sergeant

Hated it…the same as I hated the entire 4th season. Moore became way too self-indulgent in the last half of the 3rd season and the show began to leave out many of the key elements that made it good in the beginning. I agree with Beckmen’s post above in that it was the worst series finale that I’ve ever seen as well. The series started out with a bang but in my opinion fizzled out. If this truly was the route they wanted to go with the finale they could have cut out 80 percent of the boring crap that the 4th season was. We didn’t need to go down that long a road to get to the finale. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not all about special effects and action but when you go back and compare the first couple of season with season 4 it completely turned into a dark and dull show that didn’t hold continuity with the earlier seasons. I’m sure the finale and the events of season 4 satisfied most viewers but it fell short for me personally. Oh, and I won’t be investing any of my time watching Caprica…aka Crapica

Loved it, for the same reason I loved the entire series from the beginning and for the fact that it stayed true to its beginnings.

Spoiler:
    "I laid out the cabin today. It's gonna have an easterly view. Should see the light that we get here when the sun comes from behind those mountains! It's almost heavenly. It reminds me of you."
    ---Bill Adama

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post
    Largely, loved it. I'm not thrilled with the Starbuck resolution, and the NYC bit was completely unnecessary. If it had ended with Adama on the hill, it would've been 10x better an ending.

damn right

TBH, I could have done without the Starbuck flashbacks and the coda, but overall I enjoyed it.

Behind the *new* bar. What'll it be, stranger?

Loved it.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Loved it. Near perfect end.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

The last hour after the jump, hated it. "God did it" is not an ending, "God did it" is what you write when you can't think of an ending.

Furthermore it's made even worse by the obvious hand of plot forcing other aspects of the story into it. The whole idea that 30,000 people will all agree to just give up their technology and live like cavemen because that's a more spiritually rich way of living or something is absolutely asinine luddite bull****. They hand wave it away with some line about clean slates. Yeah sorry guys, no amount of clean slates are going to make me agree to give up modern medical care, wipe my ass with leaves, sleep every night in the rain and bugs, constantly live in fear of starvation, disease, injury and dangerous animals and die of "old age" when I'm 40, nor subject any children I may have to the same life, just because Lee Adama thinks technology is inherently evil. This is what I survived four years on the run for?

I'd sooner go with the damn Centurions on their baseship, and I'm betting that if those were the only two options a lot of people would join me to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
    The last hour after the jump, hated it. "God did it" is not an ending, "God did it" is what you write when you can't think of an ending.
    Would you do me a big favor and elaborate on this? There have been a few posts in other threads similar to this, and I have asked others to respond with how they are getting this interpretation, but no luck so far...I don't see it myself, but I'm curious about this interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
    Furthermore it's made even worse by the obvious hand of plot forcing other aspects of the story into it. The whole idea that 30,000 people will all agree to just give up their technology and live like cavemen because that's a more spiritually rich way of living or something is absolutely asinine luddite bull****. They hand wave it away with some line about clean slates. Yeah sorry guys, no amount of clean slates are going to make me agree to give up modern medical care, wipe my ass with leaves, sleep every night in the rain and bugs, constantly live in fear of starvation, disease, injury and dangerous animals and die of "old age" when I'm 40, nor subject any children I may have to the same life, just because Lee Adama thinks technology is inherently evil. This is what I survived four years on the run for?
    Maybe the people realized that staying on the ships was a dead end and they'd have to adopt a simpler lifestyle sooner rather than later. They were running out of supplies (including meds and TP I'm sure ), fuel to power the ships or any equipment they moved down to the planet was probably pretty close to exhausted. Existence on New Caprica was damn primative and yet the majority of the people in the fleet chose that over remaining cooped up on the ships. Bear in mind that for the majority of the people, the ships were overcrowded, the amenities were limited or non-existent and food supplies were limited (witness the food riots in Dogsville on the Galactica herself). Primative live in the fresh air might not look that bad....

We know Lee's reasoning, and that the skin jobs, Final Three of Five and other people "in the know" shared this reasoning. We have no idea what the majority of the population was told beyond something obvious like "You're being moved to the planet". Maybe they weren't told much beyond that at all. As soon as I heard Adama's reply of "Don't underestimate the power of a clean slate", I immediately thought of his response to Tigh after he'd blackmailed Zarek - "I appealed to his intellect" - and wondered what spin had been put on what the people had been told.

Spoiler:
    "I laid out the cabin today. It's gonna have an easterly view. Should see the light that we get here when the sun comes from behind those mountains! It's almost heavenly. It reminds me of you."
    ---Bill Adama

Quote Originally Posted by Back40 View Post
    Would you do me a big favor and elaborate on this? There have been a few posts in other threads similar to this, and I have asked others to respond with how they are getting this interpretation, but no luck so far...I don't see it myself, but I'm curious about this interpretation.
    For me it's in reference to the starbuck thing. Basically the only reason they found Earth at all is because Starbuck somehow came back from the dead with a brand new ship and through a series of complicated events, eventually got them there thanks to a song she remembered from her childhood.

-How was she brought back to life?

-Where did the new viper come from?

-How did she find them again in a ship with no jump drive

-Why was she able to "sense" the way to Earth?

-What does the song have to do with this?

-Where does the song really come from originally

The answer to all of these questions is apparently "god did it".

It's basically the literal definition of a deus ex machina. Create a lot of complicated problems that will theoretically require a lot of complicated answers but instead of providing those answers just handwave everything away with "god did it".

Maybe the people realized that staying on the ships was a dead end and they'd have to adopt a simpler lifestyle sooner rather than later. They were running out of supplies (including meds and TP I'm sure ), fuel to power the ships or any equipment they moved down to the planet was probably pretty close to exhausted. Existence on New Caprica was damn primative and yet the majority of the people in the fleet chose that over remaining cooped up on the ships. Bear in mind that for the majority of the people, the ships were overcrowded, the amenities were limited or non-existent and food supplies were limited (witness the food riots in Dogsville on the Galactica herself). Primative live in the fresh air might not look that bad....
    So land the ships then. My main problem isn't with the idea that they decided to settle Earth and live there. That part makes complete and perfect sense. My problem is with the idea that they for some reason decided to destroy all of their ships rather than land them, basically just making things massively more difficult for themselves for no good reason. Another problem is the way they just handwaved 30,000 people into agreeing with this on the spot. A few episodes prior to this people couldn't even agree on who gets the oxygen scrubbers from the Galactica and now we're expected to believe that they're all going to agree that burning their entire fleet and every possible thing that have that will make survival more possible in their new unknown and untamed home planet in the best idea of the day.

It's like being forced to go live in the wildnerness and deliberately deciding that you're going to throw your Jeep, GPS, flashlight, rifle, lighter and MREs you had with you into a lake because having those things to make it less likely that you'll die is somehow immoral or wrong because advanced science created them.

Yeah right... I certainly believe that anyone short of an outright lunatic would do something like that. This is asking us to accept 30,000 lunatics at once to.

We know Lee's reasoning, and that the skin jobs, Final Three of Five and other people "in the know" shared this reasoning. We have no idea what the majority of the population was told beyond something obvious like "You're being moved to the planet". Maybe they weren't told much beyond that at all. As soon as I heard Adama's reply of "Don't underestimate the power of a clean slate", I immediately thought of his response to Tigh after he'd blackmailed Zarek - "I appealed to his intellect" - and wondered what spin had been put on what the people had been told.
    If Lee and the other higher ups really did destroy the entire fleet and all of their resources while lying to the average people about it and essentially forcing them all to go along with this warped luddite technophobia of theirs then that just makes it even worse.

Staff Sergeant

I have to admit I agree with most of this thread. I loved the first hour, but the second hour?? Here in Canada we saw a one hour prequel of how the show was made, interviews with the actors etc, then the two hour finale and another hour after that of TV fan forum discussion with some local hosts. One specifically said the first hour was great but RDM has forgotten how to write happy. She did not like the ending at all.

I have to agree; it started out great but so much of that last hour was filler.

Ask yourself, would you really give up the level of technology you have to retreat to a level of primitiveness you've only seen in museums?? Or better yet, forget how to make or use it?

At first I thought RDM did it to forestall the question: since they landed on what is clearly the Earth we live on, why have no traces survived? Clothing? Writing? Any relics? and the I remembered the viper that Adama flew Roslin in and that theory went out the window!!

It should have ended with the camera moving away from Adama sitting on the cliff with Laura's grave off to the side. Far more powerful. The way the camera drew back, I was holding my breath expecting it to cut to black. That would have resonated better. Imagine my surprise when it kept going on and on and on............

The NY stuff and the RDM cameo, and the robotics clips, the answer that God did it.........well, it really really weakened everything. Frankly I think they wrote themselves into a corner with a lot of things (ie the opera house? what is Kara? who sent her back? )n and used the easy way to get out of it.

Truth is, now that I've seen the ending, I'm finding it very difficult to watch episodes I've taped. Seems all lot of energy expended for an ending that wasn't very satisfying.

Chief Master Sergeant Hetshepsu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STC View Post

It should have ended with the camera moving away from Adama sitting on the cliff with Laura's grave off to the side. Far more powerful. The way the camera drew back, I was holding my breath expecting it to cut to black. That would have resonated better. Imagine my surprise when it kept going on and on and on............
    Totally agree with you there. was ready to burst out in tears but then it carried on... an anti climax to the show.

On the whole i did enjoy it, especially since the last few episodes of season 4 were beginning to bore me, but Starbucks 'exit' totally peed me off and yeah, the clips of robotiocs at the end was totally pointless, we're not that stupid that we didn't 'get it'.

Ouroboros has pretty much summed up my own personal feelings on the matter, as I had published on the IMDb forums. It's unbelievable how much of a cop-out that final hour was.

I mean, even the stuff preceding it...putting so many lives at risk for one child, it didn't sit right with me, but I accepted it as a kind of dramatic necessity. Then the 'Opera House' revelation being so weak, and then Tigh offering to give resurrection to John (Uhhh...didn't work out too good last time, Tigh!). But none of it actually made me furious or massively depressed. Everything that happened on Earth 2 did.

I actually liked season 4 for the most part. There were some missteps, but most of it I really dug. Until that ending.

BTW, seriously...can somebody make this a poll? It's the reason I posted this in the first place. I want numbers and a graph.
    Sign the Petition to get the SG-1 Complete Series Bonus Discs released separately!
    http://www.petitiononline.com/SG1CSBD/petition.html

"Angels did it" = MASSIVE LOSE.

Fin.

(what an insult after 2 excellent seasons, 1 decent season, and 1 "hrm, okay" season of otherwise gripping TV)
    Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast