No announcement yet.

Baals(?) Time Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading is fine and all, but why would Ba'al write in Goa'uld? Most of Goa'uld technology has been based off Ancient technology, but notice how that's all in Goa'uld now? By having the text in Ancient, it suggests that Ba'al found the facility rather than having built it himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
      Reading is fine and all, but why would Ba'al write in Goa'uld? Most of Goa'uld technology has been based off Ancient technology, but notice how that's all in Goa'uld now? By having the text in Ancient, it suggests that Ba'al found the facility rather than having built it himself.
      I think that's rather obvious, don't you? If he's the only one who knows how to read/write it he's the only one who can operate it. Therefore no one could ruin/discover his plans.

As for Goa'uld technology being based off Ancient tech; well, I don't recall any actual Goa'uld writing on any of it, but even if there is it's clearly because they (and perhaps their Jaffa) would have to know how to use it. It's difficult to pass yourself off as a God and claim you've created all this magical stuff if you can't read what it says or know how to use it. Remember that not all the Goa'uld create technology; we know Nirrti, Ba'al, Anubis, Nerus and Pelops were scientists of some sort but I'm sure there are plenty who don't know how to create anything and will more than likely have to buy/trade it from/with some other Goa'uld.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Also, I came across this little line by (clone) Ba'al in Continuum at his extraction:

BA'AL
        A recently completed failsafe device should an unfortunate circumstance such as my imminent death, arise. It was you who gave us the idea, actually. I suspect it has already been put into action.

That seems to indicate he (or the original him) had been doing some kind (re)building rather than just take over an Ancient outpost and press some buttons.
        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I already said...
          Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          Who's to say Ba'al's time machine was ever intended to be a time machine to begin with? If someone was sent through the stargate, how would that person ever have a chance at ever going back home? It could have simply been set up to study stars around the galaxy. Ba'al, getting an idea from the SG-1 team's "1969" adventure, decides to take it a step further and use wormholes and solar flares for time travel. It's a logical deduction.
          If it were a time machine, why the need for the "time loop" machine or Janus's Time Jumper?

Comment

Well, the time loop machine was faulty and therefore almost completely useless and Janus' time jumper supposedly could only travel in time jumps of a couple of hundred years.

CARTER
            Actually sir, we were able to determine from the data log that the technology only works in time jumps longer than a couple hundred years.

It's kind of time-consuming (no pun intended) and boring to have to jump back or forth a couple hundred years and then keep jumping around until you are where you want to be, because it can't go back a couple of years/decades at once.

The time travel device on the jumper was also unlike anything they've seen before and if I'm not mistaken (I've hardly watched SGA and seen only the pilot of SGU) it's the only one they ever came across. It's one of a kind. From the logs on Maybourne's planet it's clear that this specific ship and device were used to study the evolution on that particular planet. For all we know it was an Ancient who retired there and created the ship when he got bored to see what was to come for those living on the planet.

The machine Ba'al used with all those satellites to keep track of solar flares sounds like something he himself came up with after magically learning about SG-1's adventure in 1969. He knew he could use the gate to travel through time that way and even determine almost exactly what year he would end up in. Considering he doesn't have an ATA gene and could still work the device (just like Sam) it obviously didn't require an Ancient (or someone 'closely' related) to operate it, unlike a lot of Ancient technology. The time jumper needed an ATA gene to work but the faulty time loop machine didn't (perhaps because it was broke or maybe they hadn't implemented it at the time of creation, like the weapon on Dakara).

I doubt the Ancients made some fancy outpost with all those satellites just so they could predict the weather in different solar systems. It's more likely Ba'al was referring to having finally placed all the working satellites and being able to use the fail safe device to go back in time at the extraction ceremony.
            On FFnet or AO3

Comment

My question hasn't been answered. Why build a time-loop machine or a Time Jumper if the Ancients already found a way to use the stargate as a timegate? Further, who's to say that the facility wasn't simply a means to study stars across the galaxy for reasons unknown? Ba'al discovers it and realizes that it can be used as a time machine by sending a wormhole through a solar flare or whatever. Is this all that unreasonable?

Comment

Did you even read my post in which I explained why a station like this would be a good alternative to the other two time travel devices?

If Ba'al just stumbled across this station the Ancients had made then what was there left for him to complete of the device?

So yes, I think it's unreasonable.
                On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                  Also, I came across this little line by (clone) Ba'al in Continuum at his extraction:

BA'AL
                  A recently completed failsafe device should an unfortunate circumstance such as my imminent death, arise. It was you who gave us the idea, actually. I suspect it has already been put into action.

That seems to indicate he (or the original him) had been doing some kind (re)building rather than just take over an Ancient outpost and press some buttons.
                  Perhaps all he 'completed' was figuring out where to go/when and having someone sitting by with a device monitoring his vital signs via subspace.. so when he found out the other Ba'al was in the hands of the Tok'ra, he activated the gate and went through with the proper ba'als plans of what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    Perhaps all he 'completed' was figuring out where to go/when and having someone sitting by with a device monitoring his vital signs via subspace.. so when he found out the other Ba'al was in the hands of the Tok'ra, he activated the gate and went through with the proper ba'als plans of what to do.
                    Then wouldn't "plan" make more sense than "device"?
                    On FFnet or AO3

Comment

We can debate this for a very long time. Ultimately, I think we can at least conclude that there is simply not enough information to reach any conclusion. Did he build it? Did he finish something the Ancients didn't get to finish? Did he simply modify an existing device designed for a different purpose? Did he simply discover it? If it was just a discovery, wouldn't time travel already exist before Janus's Time Jumper? If Ba'al built it, why use Ancient script?

Ultimately, there are no answers, only speculation. Personally, I like the idea of it being a research outpost on stellar phenomena. Ba'al comes along and realizes that with some tweaking, it can be a time machine. It fits the Goa'uld way of scavenging, no?

Comment

Perhaps the reason he shifted everything to ancient, was to deprive all his fellow Gou'ald the chance to understand/use it if they ever stumbled on it??

Comment

That's not unreasonable to conclude.

Comment

The only part i am wondering, is when/where did he get good readin/understanding ancient?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              The only part i am wondering, is when/where did he get good readin/understanding ancient?
                              Anubis used it as code on his ships and Ba'al used to serve Anubis, therefore he would have to learn how to read Ancient.
                              Meh...

Comment

Working...
                              X