Baals(?) Time Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baals(?) Time Machine

I rewatched Continuum just then (instead of study) and i was wondering about Baals time machine.

Firstly did he build it, i know it is kind of implied, but the writing on the screens of the machine is in ancient, however it possible it was a code (like anubis used)

BUT the time machine was there in the alternate reality, does that mean Baal rebuilt it and all the satellites? Because there was little chance that he built it before 1939?

Originally posted by escyos View Post
    I rewatched Continuum just then (instead of study) and i was wondering about Baals time machine.

Firstly did he build it, i know it is kind of implied, but the writing on the screens of the machine is in ancient, however it possible it was a code (like anubis used)

BUT the time machine was there in the alternate reality, does that mean Baal rebuilt it and all the satellites? Because there was little chance that he built it before 1939?
    I think the Time Machine was built by the Ancients. Yet another convenient piece of tech left behind by the Ancients.

If it was built by Anubis, then Ba'al would've had to have the plans to build it in the alternate universe as imho, he prevented Anubis from rising to power in the AU. I would think that if Anubis had the time machine in either timeline, then the events of S6+ would never have happened as he could've just screwed with the timeline to achieve his goals.

Comment

mayby Ba'al found it because it was built by the anticiants

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post

i think in Brad wrights interview with GateWorld, he said he thought Ba'al built it, twice. but i think it does make more sense if the ancients built it.
        People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

My impression when I watched was that he built it, but the Ancients building it does make more sense...but also raises quite a few questions.
          sigpic

Comment

Somehow I was under the impression that Anubis had the information on the time machine but never got around to getting it to work before his demise. The Baal found it as he was searching his territories he got from Anubis.

Comment

I'd like to think either:
              A. It was built by the Ancients.
              or
              B: Ba'al built it twice just in case he screwed up again and decided that he wanted to hit "reset" again. Think of how powerful that would be for him, being able to "re-do" anything he wanted, any time, with future knowledge.

Comment

I just assumed Ba'al built the time machine with ancient technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzweiser View Post
                  Somehow I was under the impression that Anubis had the information on the time machine but never got around to getting it to work before his demise. The Baal found it as he was searching his territories he got from Anubis.
                  This was my impression too. The Ancients don't appear to have ever used the gates for time travel, and even built safeguards into the gate programming to prevent it. There's no reason for them to have had such a facility. To me it makes far more sense that it was one of Anubis' toys, constructed after learning of the possibility from SG-1 doing it in 1969.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Who's to say Ba'al's time machine was ever intended to be a time machine to begin with? If someone was sent through the stargate, how would that person ever have a chance at ever going back home? It could have simply been set up to study stars around the galaxy. Ba'al, getting an idea from the SG-1 team's "1969" adventure, decides to take it a step further and use wormholes and solar flares for time travel. It's a logical deduction.

Comment

I always thought it was Ba'al who create it. He used what happened with SG1 to create a network that would allow him to use the same scenario to go back in time and like Anubis, he used the Ancients language because no one knew it but Anubis and Daniel (which Ba'al could have picked up).

As for Baal building it twice, I doubt it. He wouldn't have the resources to create something like that. He could have randomly went back in time, then created the network. Anubis wouldn't have had the need to build it and given the serious complexity of it, I can't see Anubis magically figuring out how to travel through time.

sigpic

Comment

If Ba'al built it from scratch, then it would have been Goa'uld design. As it stands, it appears to be Ancient design, hence Ba'al did not build it.

Comment

What about it seemed to be ancient in design? Other than the lettering (which from the Khalek ep is something Anubis loved to use), the place reeked of being Gou'ald to me.

Comment

Why would the text be in Ancient if it was of Goa'uld design?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                              Why would the text be in Ancient if it was of Goa'uld design?
                              Because in the alternate timeline Ba'al is probably the only Goa'uld who can read it. As far as he knows SG-1/Tau'ri aren't an issue anymore either, Anubis is presumably still banished/half-ascended so it's unlikely anyone but him would be able to operate the device.
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Working...
                              X