Repairing galactica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing galactica

Shouldn't it be possible for galactica to jump back to caprica and get whatever is needed to repair the ship, despite the city city being nuked in the mini-series
    starbucks apartment and the museum where starbuck got the arrow of apollo seemed to be intact come to think of why was there no ash blocking the sun after the nukes fell.

Baltar clearly said when asked that the nukes would throw out ash blocking out the sun essentially killing anything that was left alive.

In every episode of season 1 on caprica the sun was seen shining in every episode and there was no fallout from the nukes.

4.5 spoilers

Spoiler:
    the 2's have said that galactica has 5 jumps left in her if even that. and at this point in the series galactica is so far away from caprica it may take a while just to locate the colonies
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I am watching "A Disquiet That Follows My Soul" and wonder why Galactica is damaged from a Raptor going jump in close proximity.

In Disquiet, the Hitei Kan jumps right through 2 Vipers and a Raptor, simply spinning them out of the way. This is not consistent and they should have been ripped apart by the larger ship jumping.

One would think!

Comment

Even if Galactica could get to Caprica, it's not really likely that the Cylons would have left any fleet support facilities intact. It's just not a smart thing to do.

Comment

I think that Galactica is beyond repair.

As for there being no fallout, you can clearly see Caprica fade from a lush green in the miniseries to a brown by the time that Helo and Starbuck get off of it. The sky was always a hazy yellowish-orange too.

I agree though, after seeing what must have been 50+ nukes being detonated on Caprica you would think that it would be really dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Corona View Post
            I am watching "A Disquiet That Follows My Soul" and wonder why Galactica is damaged from a Raptor going jump in close proximity.

In Disquiet, the Hitei Kan jumps right through 2 Vipers and a Raptor, simply spinning them out of the way. This is not consistent and they should have been ripped apart by the larger ship jumping.

One would think!
            not neccesarily. think of the aftermath of a ftl jump like a wave of spatial displacement. Now think of something llike a wave of air pressure strikeing a plane. a larger plane will feel the wave more than say if it hit a figther jet. another possibility is simply because the wave of energy was able to move the vipers and raptor along with it. where as something with the mass of the hull damaged galactica basically just got hit from the wave and the weakend hull collapsed under the pressure.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Corona View Post

One would think!
              A blast wave will move small objects, resulting in minor damage. A larger object cannot be moved fully, so part of it is, this causes massive damage.

Comment

And we know the colonies is not out of reach.

Spoiler:
                Galactica jumps over 1 million light years in a single jump, even the raptors were able to travel that far to.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post

Spoiler:
                  Galactica jumps over 1 million light years in a single jump, even the raptors were able to travel that far to.
                  it wasn't a single jump

that's' how far the are from the 12 colonies
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

In the mini-series galactica did what colonel tigh or commander adama i forget who said it i think it was colonel tigh called a hyper-light jump which took them straight to ragnar anchorage bypassing the 3 day journet to ragnar anchorage.

Couldn't they do the same thing again?

Comment

Originally posted by generaloneill View Post
                      In the mini-series galactica did what colonel tigh or commander adama i forget who said it i think it was colonel tigh called a hyper-light jump which took them straight to ragnar anchorage bypassing the 3 day journet to ragnar anchorage.

With 30-40 jumps if they knew where they were going, sure.
                      But the ship would fall apart in 1 or 2 jumps so then we're back to a big fat NO.
                      Daniel to Thor: Wait, you're actually saying you need someone dumber then you are?
                      Jack: You may have come to the right place.

Comment

You are mixing up the tech involved. BSG hasn't used her FTL for years and the 3-day trip was by conventional propulsion. Adama decided to use FTL to save time and get the ship re-armed and into the fight or blowup because it wouldn't have mattered since the BSG was unarmed.

As far as FTL, the Cylon tech to calculate safe jumps was longer ranged than the Colonials, but nobody knows how much farther. BSG would have fallen apart or run out of fuel before getting back to the Colonies anyways. RDM said he wasn't going to go into the tech side of BSG, so whatever limited info he did give, fans can debate it among themselves.

Personally, the Colonials should have landed whatever ships that were left and used the materials to rebuild. BSG could have been left in orbit and possibly repaired/rebuilt later or slowly taken apart for raw materials. The best the Colonials could do is to build another New Caprica settlement and there's no Tylium fuel around to go on a space trip. BUT do we really know if Anders lead the fleet into the Sun, or took the ships somewhere else? In the end, the Colonials decided to start from scratch. RDM didn't explain how or why current Earth hasn't found any trace of Raptors, Vipers, or whatever either and we know and were shown they were in use. But that's a minor complaint, the story and characters at the end of the journey was more important.
                        It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Shouldn't it be possible for galactica to jump back to caprica and get whatever is needed to repair the ship, despite the city city being nuked in the mini-series
                          starbucks apartment and the museum where starbuck got the arrow of apollo seemed to be intact come to think of why was there no ash blocking the sun after the nukes fell.
                          Do you remember Tigh saying that her back was broken? The ship was beyond repair at that point. Jumping would destroy her. Even trying to make the trip back to Caprica under normal propulsion, the ship simply wouldn't hold up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sci-Fi View Post
                            didn't explain how or why current Earth hasn't found any trace of Raptors, Vipers,.
                            After 10000+ years i doubt there would have been anything left of them to notice

Comment

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by knowles2

Spoiler:
                              it wasn't a single jump

that's' how far the are from the 12 colonies
                              Just to explain it, according to the final, Earth 2 was 1 million light years away from the colonies.
                              Earth 1 was just under 2000 thousand lights year away from the colonies, as Anders said it took them around 2000 years to travel between earth 1 and the colonies, they were travel near the speed of light but given that they probably did not have inertial dampeners it would of took them sometime to increase there speed up to the 99% light speed, making the overall distance just under 2000 light years.
                              Relatively little time was spent travelling between earth 1 and earth 2. Meaning Galactica must of jump around 998,000 thousand light years in a single jump or even longer, they jump a unknown distance to the cylon colony, meaning it could of been an even larger jump. An impressive number and speed, which even the raptors could jump, it was a raptor which went to take the coordinates to the rest of the fleet, it would made sense if it colonial 1 that did it but it was a raptor giving such a small ship incredible travelling distance.

The limit was never in the engines it was in the computers it took to calculate each jump, the further the distance the longer the calculations took. Plus fuel may of been a issue, and lack of star charts, as for some reason they never left the colonies to go exploring the universe which is the strangest part of the series, especially with the threat of the cylons at there door steps you would thought they would of made it a priority to set up other colonies outside of
                              there solar system, hidden and a secrete from everyone. or may be there was something in the treaty which prevented it, but that would of been stupid decision for the colonies to sign up to such a treaty.
                              Last edited by knowles2; 22 March 2009, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X