X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam and Jack non-ship thread

The Sam and Jack thread non ship thread

We need to create a thread for those that aren’t fans of the pairing or who wish to discuss its effects on the show in a critical manner. A title we have come up with, thus far, is something along the line of ‘Sam Carter/Jack O’Neill, better as friends’. Something that we hope allows those that don’t like the ship to discuss their issues while not having it appear that it’s open season on any that do like the ship.

If someone else has a different idea, please post it. Just please know that our major judging criteria is that the topic is a way to express your issues about the relationship itself, without delving into your issues with other fans, or making personal comments about the actors. The topic will be the effects that a romantic relationship will have upon the show and your issues with it.
    Jack O'Neill/Sam Carter - Discussion for the Non-Shipper
    30.77%
    Jack O'Neill/ Sam Carter - Part of a team, not a ship
    69.23%
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    The Sam and Jack thread non ship thread

We need to create a thread for those that aren’t fans of the pairing or who wish to discuss its effects on the show in a critical manner. A title we have come up with, thus far, is something along the line of ‘Sam Carter/Jack O’Neill, better as friends’. Something that we hope allows those that don’t like the ship to discuss their issues while not having it appear that it’s open season on any that do like the ship.

If someone else has a different idea, please post it. Just please know that our major judging criteria is that the topic is a way to express your issues about the relationship itself, without delving into your issues with other fans, or making personal comments about the actors. The topic will be the effects that a romantic relationship will have upon the show and your issues with it.
    Why start a new thread, why not rename the old thread? As with the Anti-Season 10 of SG1 thread.

FF
    Last edited by Frostfox; 19 March 2009, 04:02 PM. Reason: a perfusion of nox
    sigpic

Comment

I don't necessarily have a problem with starting a new thread.

However I would be interested to hear the answer to FrostFox's question. As she said, some Anti-threads were simply renamed and allowed to continue in a similar manner as before, so I'd just like to understand what the difference might be here (especially since it's not like that thread was harping on their dislike constantly... hence the reason it was used more sporadically).

Another suggestion, maybe?
      Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill - better as teammates and colleagues

I feel like it's a slightly more specific title (albeit longer).
      Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
      Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

I have no issue with further title suggestions. Keep them coming.

We're talking about whether or not we can rename the old thread and we'll have an answer to you guys soon.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
          I have no issue with further title suggestions. Keep them coming.

We're talking about whether or not we can rename the old thread and we'll have an answer to you guys soon.
          Cool. Thanks.

I just remembered that I had another thread title picked out when the CVS first came out (yes, I was thinking ahead. ):
          Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill ship - Critique and Discussion

It's kind of in line with what happened to the former anti-season threads, by opening it for discussion, but also clarifying that it's open for critique and criticisms, not just happy squees. Just another option.
          Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
          Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

I'm happy to go along with the consensus.....after all that thread when it was up and running seemed to remain respectful and non-confrontational in it's critique....I'm sure whatever is set up for the future will do the same.....

Deeds xx
            sigpic
            Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
            MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
              I just remembered that I had another thread title picked out when the CVS first came out (yes, I was thinking ahead. ):

It's kind of in line with what happened to the former anti-season threads, by opening it for discussion, but also clarifying that it's open for critique and criticisms, not just happy squees. Just another option.
              I like that title.
              - Life after Stargate -
              Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
              Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
              sigpic

Comment

Cool. Thanks.

I like that title too.

FF
                sigpic

Comment

Cool. Thanks.

I like that title too and would like to see it used for the recently closed Sam/Jack anti-ship thread because that thread was open to critique and discussion about that ship.

In fact, the last time I had a discussion there, Sam/Jack shippers joined in and it was interesting to read their views of how this ship was handled. They posted there because they wanted to have a frank discussion about what didn't work for them and didn't feel comfortable posting their thoughts on the pro thread.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Luciana

Comment

So far I'm liking this option.

Of course I am in favor of reopening the old thread and just renaming it, but if a new thread is deemed necessary, I'll obviously abide by the decision.

It was one of the oldest, continuous threads (of course interest in the thread waned a bit when the show ended) on this board and, in my opinion, remained a respectful discussion thread, for the most part, about why people didn't like/didn't think S/J worked or was right for the show.
                    IMO always implied.

Comment

I have a question? Hypothetically if there is something in the third SG-1 movie that states/implies/can-be-interpreted-as ship, and if a thread crops up outside of the C&R folder to discuss that aspect of said movie (like, for instance, the "Continuum for S/J shippers" thread that showed up last summer)... will it be a de facto "shippers only" thread, or will it be open for general discussion?

I feel like the answer to this should be an obvious "it's open for general discussion." Because aren't all threads technically open for discussion? But since that hasn't been my experience in the past, I'd like to be sure before I make any assumptions.

I'm only speaking for myself here, but just because I don't like the S/J stuff, doesn't mean I'm out to change anyone's mind. I'd just like the freedom to express my own opinion now and again, as I do on a myriad of other aspects of the show(s).

Oh, and in case I haven't mentioned it lately, thank you mods for working so hard on all these issues. I know you guys put up with a lot, but I wanted to state that your work is very much appreciated!

Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
                        I like that title too and would like to see it used for the recently closed Sam/Jack anti-ship thread because that thread was open to critique and discussion about that ship.

In fact, the last time I had a discussion there, Sam/Jack shippers joined in and it was interesting to read their views of how this ship was handled. They posted there because they wanted to have a frank discussion about what didn't work for them and didn't feel comfortable posting their thoughts on the pro thread.
                        I know I'm not a non-Sam/Jack shipper, but I thought I'd peek in on this thread, as I have lurked and posted in the anti Sam/Jack thread a bit. I very much like the idea of making the new/retitled version a 'critique and discussion' thread. Like Maxbo, I really enjoyed the 'anti'/'pro' discussions we had in the thread a while back, and if the thread is properly sign posted as a place where "No way, Sam and Jack rock" is not an appropriate response, I think these discussions could continue We also discussed many of the things that bugged the 'not so positive' shippers, and found that the antis had the same concerns. The anti thread became a good place for the concerned 'unhappy' shippers to nest. With a name change (and a flourish of a wand of course ) the new/renamed anti thread could possibly solve the concerns that some of the shippers are having over in the "sam/jack thread changes" thread

Just a suggestion, though, of course. I don't want this thread to turn into 'what shippers want' because it's not our place. Just wanted to say that I definitely agree with Maxbo
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't know how others feel, but I support that. ^^ I enjoy discussion, and it was interesting when a few of the shippers came into the thread awhile back. As long as people who come into the thread can accept that for some of us there are some fundamental points we're probably never going to agree on, I think more participants in the discussion is always a good thing.
                          - Life after Stargate -
                          Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                          Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                          sigpic

Comment

Another suggestion, maybe?
                            Sam Carter/Jack O'Neill - better as teammates and colleagues

I feel like it's a slightly more specific title (albeit longer).
                            This is definitely my preferred option.

What I would like is a thread (similar to the now-closed anti thread) where I can discuss my Jack/Sam ship non-positive (how's that for PC?) feelings.

I personally have no wish to debate the pros and cons, although I know it can be, and has been, done in a civilised manner in the past .... surely that would be for a debate thread? This should be a place where those who don't like or support the ship can talk freely without having to justify their feelings. After all, the shippers have their safe space. I see this thread as being ours (mine). Or is that just me?

I like Sam and Jack well enough as teammates and colleagues. I think the title fits nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by jdjunkie View Post
                              This is definitely my preferred option.

What I would like is a thread (similar to the now-closed anti thread) where I can discuss my Jack/Sam ship non-positive (how's that for PC?) feelings.

I personally have no wish to debate the pros and cons, although I know it can be, and has been, done in a civilised manner in the past .... surely that would be for a debate thread? This should be a place where those who don't like or support the ship can talk freely without having to justify their feelings. After all, the shippers have their safe space. I see this thread as being ours (mine). Or is that just me?

I like Sam and Jack well enough as teammates and colleagues. I think the title fits nicely.

No it's not just you.....I feel exactly the same....I don't really want to discuss the pro side of a ship that I have no interest in or do not see........I do worry that again I will have to justify/defend my feelings in a supposedly safe "non-ship" area to the point that I will become uncomfortable doing this and have to leave yet another thread on GW....

Deeds xx
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                              MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Working...
                              X