Emancipation (103)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error terror :

According to a Hungarian fan, this type of knurled edge knife is used in Indonesia, but definately not by Mongol people:
    http://csillagkapu.hu/kep.php?kep=ht...ba/1x03/01.jpg
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Neither are the swords on their belts. They look European in nature.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

So I have been a fan of Stargate since the first season on Showtime but only found out about Gatworld recently(sad as it would have probably helped me through some teenage years).

Anyway, I've decided to rewatch the series from start to finish and got to Emancipation last night when a thought occurred to me that I was hoping for feedback on.

So after they come through the gate the tribe talks about killing Sam for being a woman who is uncovered and speaks. She wants to cut their losses and then Daniel says something about following the culture and they'll be fine(an interesting aside is how they dismiss her concerns very similar to what we've seen in the news lately). To me this always seemed like a terrible idea. Even the first time I saw this episode. I feel like at the very least, they should have sent Sam back(possibly opening up a discrimination issue, but we'll leave that), checked things out, and maybe brought her back later, or, based on Daniel's suggestion that anthropologists live in the culture, perhaps find a female anthropologist who has lived in a society that keeps women in such conditions.

The fact that these people want to kill Sam strikes me as the ultimate red flag for "we have no idea what the rules are."

Here's my observation, I feel like if this event took place in season 6 or even season 3, this would not have happened. They would have gotten Sam out of there and sorted things out. Am I way off-base on this thinking? I feel like as time went on, they started to listen to each other's concerns more and also became closer to ensure that no one got hurt. The whole opening situation just feels like something that wouldn't happen a few years later. What do people think?

Comment

A lot of things in season 1 feel disjointed from the collective way of stargate, but I think it's easier overlooked as it was the first season and they were still trying to figure out how the team was going to be in different situations.

However, since many have said, both actors and fans, that this episode, perhaps, should not have happened the way it unfolded, I think it's fair to say that they should have given it a lot more though. However, they made some glaring frown-worthy episodes in Stargate Atlantis that get you thinking "What on earth were they thinking?" so I'm not sure this episode would ever have made a good impression.

Also, welcome to the forum.

You may or may not have noticed the posts about the Proper Stargate Rewatch, which you are always welcome to join. I've got jigsaw puzzles and episode quizzes (for fun obviously) to offer.

I'm at season 6 currently, but Beth for example has already finished and is following along again. So any time, any place... you're welcome.

Comment

What is this Proper Stargate rewatch and how do I get in on it? It sounds awesome!

Comment

i think its a clever idea, to test the people, to see just how... worthy of freindship they are, and perhaps ist a question, do you allow a culture to remain hurting people, or you go and slap them awake? its difficult and no way to tell if they are wise or foolish, in this case they did something for a wise reason, but were foolish in never paying attention to the realities of it, thegouuld, orother beings that would take beautiful women also took attractive males, and they should have had a law about males attractiveness too oreven that everyone had to wear veils, anyways gouuld arent exactly held back by veils so its a stupid but only counter htey really had, uhhhh,

this episode pisses people off because of how people are treated by a culture, not by the sg team so much, people are more pissed at hte culture they are visiting, but you dont know do you, until you actually learn from and explore that culture whether they are useful or useless, and they had good medicine if i remember right, that was one thing, what if they were the nox and were offensive while being extremely offensive to the sg team? so they wouldnt ever stay long enough to discover how powerful or wonderful the nox would become at hte end of hte episode where they reveal the hidden city ordisplay the true power of thier invisibility and healing?

Comment

Originally posted by dez3b View Post
                What is this Proper Stargate rewatch and how do I get in on it? It sounds awesome!
                You get in by (re)watching and/or commenting on the episode threads.

It's basically me rewatching the whole of stargate, from the 1994 film all the way down to Stargate Origins (including watching SGU for the first time, and Stargate Infinity because I gotta know what the deal is with that thing).

At first there were a whole lot more people actively participating both here and on the message feed of Stargate Command, but relations have severally soured on that cursed place and the set-up of that place also meant that episode threads just got lost.

Therefore, it's most active on Gateworld. I watch approx. 3 episodes a week and then comment on the episode threads, and as an added bonus I compile quizzes, create episode jigsaw puzzles and end-of-season polls.

All of it is optional and purely for fun. Nothing can be won or gained (other than postcounts), and it's basically all in good fun among stargate fans.

Under the general SG-thread, you'll find a list of all the jigsaw puzzles and quizzes posted so far.

I'm currently up to halfway season 6 -- just watched the Cure -- and time pending (I work fulltime) I shall continue shortly with the remainder of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by dez3b View Post
                  So after they come through the gate the tribe talks about killing Sam for being a woman who is uncovered and speaks. She wants to cut their losses and then Daniel says something about following the culture and they'll be fine(an interesting aside is how they dismiss her concerns very similar to what we've seen in the news lately). To me this always seemed like a terrible idea. Even the first time I saw this episode. I feel like at the very least, they should have sent Sam back(possibly opening up a discrimination issue, but we'll leave that), checked things out, and maybe brought her back later, or, based on Daniel's suggestion that anthropologists live in the culture, perhaps find a female anthropologist who has lived in a society that keeps women in such conditions.
                  I think that the events of Emancipation could really only have taken place very early in the Stargate Program. It wouldn't have worked even a year or two later, as the team could reasonably have been expected to know better by then.

They make numerous mistakes in this mission.

To start with, Sam was absolutely right when she suggested that they should quit while they were ahead. At the very least, she should have been allowed to return, or else the whole team could have returned and another, all-male SG team sent in their place. Moughal would have made no move to prevent it. I think that Daniel's desire to explore a new culture may have gotten the better of him, and I would have expected that Jack, in his capacity as CO, should have made the call not to have the team stick around in an environment that was openly hostile to one member.

Secondly, Daniel encouraged Sam to play along, dress the part, etc, but I would argue that, if they were to stick around, they might have done better to go a step further in terms of playing along, with one of the men on the team telling the Shavadai that Sam was his wife. Abu saw it as permissible for him to kidnap and trade an unattached woman, but I would say that he would have thought otherwise if he believed that Sam was married to a guest of his father's.

Thirdly, however you slice it, it was a terrible idea to allow one member of the team to be isolated as Sam was. As near as I can tell, there was no attempt to check in with her between the men going to the party in the evening and the following morning. The fact that they did this when they knew that they were in an anti-woman environment makes it even worse. It could easily have ended with Turghan beating and/or raping Sam.

As for Sam, while it turned out okay this time, it was a dangerous move on her part to encourage Nya to break the rules. She was encouraging open rebellion in a society where even minor dissent on the part of a woman was a serious offence. Had Daniel not claimed that she was their chieftain when they were negotiating, or had Turghan refused to accept her as such, Nya would have been killed.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  I don't think he ever did, but perhaps this is still due to the mindset. He might be having a more open-minded father but I think somewhere deep down inside he's still set on the old ways. Or he was just too much in love with Nya to care for anything else.
                  I'd lay odds that Abu did not consider that he had done anything that was that called for an apology.

Trading women is legal and acceptable in his culture. Sam was a beautiful woman, with no husband or male guardian and, to his eyes, I imagine that made her fair game for him to claim and trade, as he saw fit.

At most, he may have felt that he owed his father an apology for kidnapping his guest. Sam wouldn't have merited one.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

fair game is a interesting point, it seems the gouuld in part agree to the treaty with the asgard for humanity because they cannot grab the planet easily, thiers to many people and they would have to kill alot of them to get anything useful which would devalue thier gains significantly while simultaniously marking them as a interesting target to lots of gouuld and system lords which gaining earth even temporarily could end in thier empire in a torn up state claimed by countless system lords and rogue goulds, otherwise they all likely would have taken a chance at snatching up earth, but instead this way they all gained lots of things that boosted thier overall power over hte other gouuld and thier position was strengthened as good leaders for hte gouuld, thus they gain more in long term then short term earthly gains.

sorry i just like to talk about that episode almost as much as this one, they are both intrigueing to see the effects of human and gould society intereacting so much on together

Comment

I am currently rewatching entire franchise, and as of this moment with Emancipation credits rolling in the back ground, this episode is one of the toughest to get through.

The story on paper may have sounded good as it was written 20+ yrs ago, but with today's social empowerment for woman, it does not carry its weight all these yrs later. I believe if this episode was released today it would create a negative sentiment towards its production causing an outcry by fans for someone's head to roll.

This is not, however, why I cringe at this episode. The dialogue between SG1, is very timid as they try to "get to know eachother".
                      My problem with this is there should be less tip toeing around each other and a little more comfort between the team. This may be the 4th episode (on DVDs), but in this episode Jack clearly refers to missions that have taken place that are not actual episodes.

If missions are taking place away from our viewing pleasure, then a more familiar dialogue should take place. When you consider that everytime you walk through the gate you're risking your life, by the time this mission is shown to us you would hope pleasantries and formalities are in the past and a rough version of the SG-1 that we love would be shown.

Comment

I am now on third rewatch, and it still bothers me that the kid didn’t apologize to the team. Lol

On the plus side— I got 11/15 on the quiz this time.

Comment

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
                          I am now on third rewatch, and it still bothers me that the kid didn’t apologize to the team. Lol
                          Some irks just never go away, no matter how many times you're watching the series.

Originally posted by BethHG View Post
                          On the plus side— I got 11/15 on the quiz this time.
                          YAY!!

Comment

Working...
                          X