No announcement yet.

Emancipation (103)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how little teal'c knew about erath was funny in and of itself!!!

Comment

I actually don't mind this episode, it's not one of my favourites but i definately don't hate it (i can't explain why i just don't)

I have a problem with the Sam fight at the end in that she wins easily, yet at the start of te episode she didn't strugle at all when she was being kidnapped, it just doesn't make sense.

And i read somewhere taht the laughing whilst running bit was because they'd been doing so many rehearsals of it, so taht when they came to film it they were all exhausted and for some reason found it really funny that they were running across a field over and over.

I think one of the main reason's i like it, is taht shows Sam as being 'the girl' but also shows her integrating into the team, as by the end she doesn't seem to be 'the girl' so much.
      SecretArt
      My FanFic

Comment

I wasn't a big fan of this episode. It just didn't hold my interest. My main question was: Why didn't they send Sam back and deal with everything with the remaining three?
        A Quick Word from the Far Side of the Galaxy

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
          not sure I buy it - even with the "cold" theory. Most people I know who are good at fighting (whatever sort) do an awful lot of training. Plus, to fight with a knife you absolutely have to have the killer instinct.

Which, given what happens at the end, Sam clearly doesn't have. I'd have slit his throat merely for having made me wear That Dress.
          Well, she's in the military, so she does have the killer instinct. She just prefers not to kill if there's a chance. Not to mention, the guy was the chieftain of 22 tribes, if he died there would have been a power struggle that could have been pretty bloody.

I like this episode, I thought it was fun! And Abu saying "This is a woman? " was priceless I also liked to see Carter kicking butt although I'm not sure I buy this particular fight but hey! Whatever.

Nya was so not mongolian though. If I was Thurgan I'd seriously doubt I was her father!
          May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Being in the military does not equate to killer instinct. I've know a few USAFA grads who I would say don't have it. But they weren't in jobs where they needed it.

Comment

Well, she did do 100 hours in ennemy air space. She was in a position to shoot down people. And she doesn't mind killing. Say for example in Beast of Burden, she actually asked if she could killed the guys (not in that many words but still)
              May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

Originally posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
                Well, she did do 100 hours in ennemy air space. She was in a position to shoot down people. And she doesn't mind killing. Say for example in Beast of Burden, she actually asked if she could killed the guys (not in that many words but still)
                100 hours in enemy airspace during the Gulf War under 1991 US regulations of women in combat means.... she was most likely in an AWACs plane. That is hardly 'killer instinct stuff'.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                  100 hours in enemy airspace during the Gulf War under 1991 US regulations of women in combat means.... she was most likely in an AWACs plane. That is hardly 'killer instinct stuff'.
                  I know nothing about the military... How old would she have been at that point in time? She wasn't a Captain then, was she?

Comment

There's one fanfic around which followed Sam through the early 90s. The first scene was a party to celebrate her promotion to Captain and it was set soon after she came back from the Gulf.

OK it's fanon rather than canon but it's as reasonable a guess as any that she got her Captain's bars due to her work in the Gulf.
                    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
                      OK it's fanon rather than canon but it's as reasonable a guess as any that she got her Captain's bars due to her work in the Gulf.
                      What? As opposed to her work on the Stargate programme?
                      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I think it's entirely possible she got her captains bars on a time in grade thing. You sit in O3 longer than you sit in O1 or O2. I'd say she was a first lieutenant but that's just my own guess. Virtually the only thing I can reconcil with Sam to explain the 100 hours bit (even though she wears no campaign ribbons for the gulf btw), is that she was an air battle manager or a similar AWACs crewman. I can't picture her on a air to air refueling aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
                          I know nothing about the military... How old would she have been at that point in time? She wasn't a Captain then, was she?
                          I don't know what Sam's canon age is, or her grad year from USAFA, or when she got her PhD (is where she got it even canon, I've heard MIT, but I don't recall it in the series).

Anyway, in 1993 IIRC, the Defense Department opened up a wide range of jobs for women, including most air force flight jobs including combat. If the "100 hours in enemy airspace" line had been in reference to anything after 1993 it would be hard to say what Sam was doing.

But as it is... there is only a limited number of things someone with Sam's background could have been doing over Iraq during Desert Storm. At least legally.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                            But as it is... there is only a limited number of things someone with Sam's background could have been doing over Iraq during Desert Storm. At least legally.
                            She was out there testing airborne superweapons for the NID and you know it.
                            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                              She was out there testing airborne superweapons for the NID and you know it.
                              Well, she does seem to know a lot about cafe's near NID headquarters

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                                What? As opposed to her work on the Stargate programme?
                                Well accrding to the fanfic in question, she got hired by Catherine Langford for the Stargate programme circa 1992 and transferred to the Pentagon not long before the movie(There were rumours around the program about Daniel being hired, General West booted Sam to the Pentagon and assigned Jack in her place as miltary personel!)

If I can find the fic again I'll post a link.
                                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X