Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Default Re: Emancipation (103)

Quote Originally Posted by Naquida Guy

Oh, and it's entirely possible that if Sam's had sufficent training she could easily best someone many times her size in combat. The cheif guy would have alot of experience at that kind of fighting, but he was clearly used to besting people quickly with his superior strength. US Military combat training draws upon thousands of years of hand-to-hand fighting techniques from aroudn the world. Basiclly Sam would have had alot of different ways of winning the fight, where as Mr. Mongol could only rely on his brute strength.
    It looked to me like she might have used his weight against him when she threw him down.

I didnt really like this episode espciall that dress ugggg.

The only thing good about this ep is Sam kicking but at the end.

I think this episode was great. it show that Carter is as strong and determine as the rest of SG1. I loved it when she kick ass. I don't buy that he had a cold I just think that she was better than him at fighting. It's like she said she was a scholar so i think her mind is more open more reflective. plus she's been traine in case she's in this situation. I think that she should have made the men say that all the women in there were going to be free and treated equal. But I have to say she kick ass.

This episode left me thinking "what a waste of 45 minutes". The theme was very tacky girl-power, not at all subtle. It bore no relation to the previous episodes, and the plot was a little suspect. If she could beat the chief in the knife fight then why couldnt she beat the teenage boy when he took her captive. In fact, the only things that redeemed this episode were a couple of good jokes. Hopefully this was the low-point of season 1: surely it can only get better?

Chief Master Sergeant OrangeShipper's Avatar

Hey,

Apologies if this has been said (im in a rush), but there is one bit of this ep that I LOVE!
    The scene in the tent where the guys see her in the dress.. Its SO FUNNY!! I just love it! Just their expressions, and comments, its totally priceless. I think that scene in itself redeems the episode!!

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeShipper
    Hey,

Apologies if this has been said (im in a rush), but there is one bit of this ep that I LOVE!
    The scene in the tent where the guys see her in the dress.. Its SO FUNNY!! I just love it! Just their expressions, and comments, its totally priceless. I think that scene in itself redeems the episode!!
    That was a good part. "It's you!"

Chief Master Sergeant Im_just_guessing's Avatar

The Oprah crack at the end was pretty good too.

And IIRC, the grass was really long around the gate, something not seen on most gates, even gates on uninhabitted worlds. Which is cool, because I think thats the way it woudl actually be.
    FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...AJ/sg_war1.gif

Staff Sergeant sierragulf_gurl_23's Avatar
    @ home,crying over SG1's cancel-I cant even say it

it isn't there best ep (they were in their first season,though) but I did like the whole dress thing*you know,when the men of sg1 come in and see Sam in the HORRIFIC dress*was it me or was there some shippyness going on?...NAH, probably some wishful thinking of mine...*sigh*but I'll watch that part again just in case

SAM + JACK 4EVA!

True, it wasn't one of the best Stargate episodes known to man...but hey, we got Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa in it! I swear practically every line that came from that man's mouth cracked me up.

We have such gems as:

"Her eyes...are the color of blue river stones" - Okay how many of us rolled their eyes at that one? *looks for a show of hands*

AND

"I value spirit in my horses, not my women" - From the pages of a trashy romance novel, that one! But you gotta love it....of course maybe that's because I LIKE trashy romance novels!

And lest we forget, my personal favorite:

"Turn around...slowly."

I tell ya...I was just waiting for him to bust out a "YOUR SOUL IS MINE!"

But...this was the episode that hooked me onto SG1. It was the first ep I watched. Not Children of the Gods, or Absolute Power or Window of Opportunity. THIS one.

And to me...this one has a special place in my heart.

...Even with the blue dress.

Zat Re: Emancipation (103)

I think that it was the worst episode of the entire season
    Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Good question...think it's Kansas...let me check...

Quote Originally Posted by sierragulf_gurl_23
    *you know,when the men of sg1 come in and see Sam in the HORRIFIC dress*was it me or was there some shippyness going on?...NAH, probably some wishful thinking of mine...*sigh*but I'll watch that part again just in case
    I thought so. *Thinks* Well, maybe not ship, exactly, but still a 'moment', even if it was 'just friendly'. Although I must say, I have a hard time with the fact that a lampshade for a headdress could be considered a bonding tool, but maybe that's just me.

This was the first of many, many "just how much should we interfere in other cultures?" episodes, a convention that I never get tired of. It was done fairly well, although there were still a few kinks to work out, and the writers hadn't quite gotten the hang of not basing an entire episode around a PSA that's blatantly obvious in the first five minutes of the episode.

Liked the fact that there was believable clothing, make-up, and genetic make-up in the cast.

It was interesting to see the team's perspective on a less enlightened culture. All of their reactions were very much in character (even Daniel's... even though he clearly sees the moral issue, he would have had "don't interfere in the local cultures you're studying, no matter what you think of their values" drilled into his head from the time he started college - basic anthropology).

This was also Carter's first showcase episode, and it was a very good one. We see her as a competant professional, and we can easily understand how she came to be Captain at such a young age. We see her fighting skills, her sense of honor, and we get a little further view of the feminist aspect of her personality.

I really enjoyed the scene where we first see her in the dress, and they show a shot of all four men (Abu, Daniel, Teal'c, and Jack), all lined up, all staring at her, speechless. That was just a really fun scene, and her reaction to their reactions was great. Especially Jack's lighthearted jibes... it was nice to see them dealing with each other as professionals that are starting to get past the awkward stage of getting to know each other. I was kind of surprised at Daniel's reaction, though - maybe it was just that he'd just realized Sam was a woman.

Very strange to hear Daniel repeatedly address Sam as "Doctor." I'm just so used to him calling her "Sam."

Enjoyed the fight scene at the end. Even though it was contrived and obviously meant to set Sam up to win against the oppressor, it still felt good.

And I really enjoyed the "Oprah" scene at the end. Nice non sequitor to end the show.

5 of 10. Points taken off for the fact that the moral of the story was too obvious, too soon, too cliched, and it took up the entire episode.

I've dipped into this series a couple of time over the years, but I've just got hold of the series on DVD and I'm watching them in order from the beginning.

I loved the movie and the first couple of episodes then I cam across this one. One of the things that I loved about the movie and pilot is that the off world cultures speak a variation of ancient earth languages, as they would as transplanted people.

From this episode that seams to have been dropped, is that ever explained in the series? Here we have a group of people descended from the Mongols of the steppes speaking modern English and I think it grates.

Its seams strange that they kept the premise fro the shows pilot and abandoned it here, does it reappear as it seams to make a lot more sense?

Other than that I'm really enjoying the series and canít wait to get to some of the later seasons that I hear are very good.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Talon
    Its seams strange that they kept the premise fro the shows pilot and abandoned it here, does it reappear as it seams to make a lot more sense?
    Aside from a few special words like "Kree," the series has never embraced the use of languages other than English. Even the pilot quickly established the Abydonians as fluent practitioners of English. As logically satisfying as the strict use of "ancient Egyptian" was in the feature film, it was unwieldy and unsuited for episodic television. The fact that all aliens speak English is simply a conceit of sci-fi television that audiences have to accept.

Chief Master Sergeant OrangeShipper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sierragulf_gurl_23
    was it me or was there some shippyness going on?...NAH, probably some wishful thinking of mine...*sigh*but I'll watch that part again just in case!
    Of course there was!! They're totally in love, right from the moment they met.. Ok, so thats an exaggeration, but there's definitely something there!
    http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l5...ngeShipper.jpg Sig by SamJackShipLover, thank you!!

"The Titanic lies in 13,000 feet of water on a gently sloping alpinelike countryside overlooking a small canyon below. Its bow faces north and the ship sits upright on the bottom. There is no light at this great depth and little life can be found. It is a quiet and peaceful and fitting place for the remains of this greatest of sea tradgedies to rest. May it forever remain that way and may God bless these found souls." - Robert D. Ballard, 1985.

Smile Re: Emancipation (103)

*wearily posting for the first time, and its negative!*

This episode was a tad lame for my liking. I have seen bits of SG-1 on tv,
    but have now invested in all the DVD's so i too am enjoying them all
    consecutively, in sequence.

This ep made me squirm a bit and fear for my $$$, but the show quickly
    redeemed itself, and now i'm loving it. I am used to shows with slightly more
    impressive hand to hand combat, but, that's not to worry.

Chief Master Sergeant

Post Re: Emancipation (103)

OK, I have to say it, I did not like the episode Emancipation. I did however, like the characterization of Sam as a "warrior" and a leader, not just a woman. I think the plot was a tad contrived and I really think everything worked out too well, too quickly.

But that's just my opinion......not every episode can be great.

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion
    I have seen bits of SG-1 on tv,
    but have now invested in all the DVD's so i too am enjoying them all
    consecutively, in sequence.
    Doing the same thing (only ever having seen a handful of broadcasts, now going through the DVD boxed sets in sequence).

This episode appeared to me to be a character development piece for Carter, and encapsulates the "new story every week" flavour of the first series.

Comments have been made about how Carter could beat the bad guy in the climactic fight, but couldn't beat the kid when she was kidnapped - my take is that she only fought hard and to win, when there was a lot more at stake.

What I particularly liked was where the characters started to realise the effect they were having on the locals, just by being there.

I love this episode. It has great character development for Carter; I loved the girl power in this episode

I think the only good part of this episode was when Jack traded his gun for Sam (and the fight scene at the end). So by cutting out all the crappiness, this ep would've probably been about four minutes long!
    Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast