Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Emancipation (103)

The were trying to establish the character of sam but it just didn't work.

They managed to make the worst episode in SG1-history imo:>

Then again it was only the 3rd episode.

Quote Originally Posted by aAnubiSs
    They managed to make the worst episode in SG1-history imo:>
    It was only the second off-world mission... taking that in to consideration it wasn't that bad.

Good question...think it's Kansas...let me check...

Re: Emancipation (103)

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferhailey
    I know most people, including Amanda, hate this episode.

But I love it. I think Sam kicks butt, and its needed for her to be able to become a better character.

Because we didn't want her to stay the Children of the Gods Briefing Room Sam, did we?

So think of it as a very needed step towards our lovely, sweet Sam Carter. The one we have today.

Plus I'm in love with Abu (Jorge Vargas Jr.) Actually pretty hot without the wig.
    Whoo-hoo! Thanks. About time somebody said that!

I'm wishy-washy on this episode. Part of me knows that it's highly unlikely that Sam would be able to take down Turghan, but (a) I don't care, girl kicks butt, I'll take it, and (b) you'd be surprised at what you can do when you have to. If I was in Sam's situation, I'd be pretty darn motivated.

Overall, though, I like. A little overdone, the script could use some work, but still: Sam. Kicked. Butt.

That by itself makes Emancipation worthwhile.

:| is there anything good about this episode? well, mybe the bit with jack sayng she is one of those things today. and 2 lines is not good enough.

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Quote Originally Posted by Replicarter
    :| is there anything good about this episode? well, mybe the bit with jack sayng she is one of those things today. and 2 lines is not good enough.
    I've read a few fics where the blue dress is brought up as a later in-joke. I think that's what the writers should have done--it'd have brought something mildly amusing to the show and also acknowledged that Emancipation might not have been the show's finest hour.

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

I liked the "What is an Oprah?" line, but it wasn't enough to save this from being the worst epsiode of SG1 ever.

Look, I like this episode. Yes, it's practically impossible. Yes, it had a pretty weak plot line. You know what? I like it anyway. Tough.

I'm not going to go through an entire dissertation of this episode because I've already done written some stuff about it, but there are some matters I'd still like to address. So here goes.

a. Did they ever tell us about P3X-905? On the other hand, I'm not sure that I really want to know.

b. Some of the dialogue was kind of weak, but I'm willing to excuse that (for once! ). It was early in the show, and they were still fiddling 'round with personalities.

c. Woman's lib! Whoo-hoo!

Okay. I'm done. Until I think of something else.

The end.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Fischer
    I liked the "What is an Oprah?" line, but it wasn't enough to save this from being the worst epsiode of SG1 ever.
    i will admit this certainly ain't the best ep, maybe the wosrt but you gotta love the

'what is an oprah?'

that has got to be one of my favorite team moments!!!!

Second Lieutenant

how little teal'c knew about erath was funny in and of itself!!!

I actually don't mind this episode, it's not one of my favourites but i definately don't hate it (i can't explain why i just don't)

I have a problem with the Sam fight at the end in that she wins easily, yet at the start of te episode she didn't strugle at all when she was being kidnapped, it just doesn't make sense.

And i read somewhere taht the laughing whilst running bit was because they'd been doing so many rehearsals of it, so taht when they came to film it they were all exhausted and for some reason found it really funny that they were running across a field over and over.

I think one of the main reason's i like it, is taht shows Sam as being 'the girl' but also shows her integrating into the team, as by the end she doesn't seem to be 'the girl' so much.
    SecretArt
    My FanFic

Chief Master Sergeant JediTrilobite's Avatar

I wasn't a big fan of this episode. It just didn't hold my interest. My main question was: Why didn't they send Sam back and deal with everything with the remaining three?

Captain Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Clanger
    not sure I buy it - even with the "cold" theory. Most people I know who are good at fighting (whatever sort) do an awful lot of training. Plus, to fight with a knife you absolutely have to have the killer instinct.

Which, given what happens at the end, Sam clearly doesn't have. I'd have slit his throat merely for having made me wear That Dress.
    Well, she's in the military, so she does have the killer instinct. She just prefers not to kill if there's a chance. Not to mention, the guy was the chieftain of 22 tribes, if he died there would have been a power struggle that could have been pretty bloody.

I like this episode, I thought it was fun! And Abu saying "This is a woman? " was priceless I also liked to see Carter kicking butt although I'm not sure I buy this particular fight but hey! Whatever.

Nya was so not mongolian though. If I was Thurgan I'd seriously doubt I was her father!
    May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Being in the military does not equate to killer instinct. I've know a few USAFA grads who I would say don't have it. But they weren't in jobs where they needed it.

Captain Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman's Avatar

Well, she did do 100 hours in ennemy air space. She was in a position to shoot down people. And she doesn't mind killing. Say for example in Beast of Burden, she actually asked if she could killed the guys (not in that many words but still)
    May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Quote Originally Posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
    Well, she did do 100 hours in ennemy air space. She was in a position to shoot down people. And she doesn't mind killing. Say for example in Beast of Burden, she actually asked if she could killed the guys (not in that many words but still)
    100 hours in enemy airspace during the Gulf War under 1991 US regulations of women in combat means.... she was most likely in an AWACs plane. That is hardly 'killer instinct stuff'.

Cool Re: Emancipation (103)

Quote Originally Posted by Major Fischer
    100 hours in enemy airspace during the Gulf War under 1991 US regulations of women in combat means.... she was most likely in an AWACs plane. That is hardly 'killer instinct stuff'.
    I know nothing about the military... How old would she have been at that point in time? She wasn't a Captain then, was she?

There's one fanfic around which followed Sam through the early 90s. The first scene was a party to celebrate her promotion to Captain and it was set soon after she came back from the Gulf.

OK it's fanon rather than canon but it's as reasonable a guess as any that she got her Captain's bars due to her work in the Gulf.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt G
    OK it's fanon rather than canon but it's as reasonable a guess as any that she got her Captain's bars due to her work in the Gulf.
    What? As opposed to her work on the Stargate programme?
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast