• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emancipation (103)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE SG-1 - SEASON ONE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 103

An alien civilization is forced to reconsider their views on women when Carter rebels against their social customs.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 06 February 2021, 11:04 PM.

I know most people, including Amanda, hate this episode.

But I love it. I think Sam kicks butt, and its needed for her to be able to become a better character.

Because we didn't want her to stay the Children of the Gods Briefing Room Sam, did we?

So think of it as a very needed step towards our lovely, sweet Sam Carter. The one we have today.

Plus I'm in love with Abu (Jorge Vargas Jr.) Actually pretty hot without the wig.
    ------
    Shelby aka JessMerrick

Comment

I thought this episode was kinda silly. It was also a bit pointless, other than showing that Carter was bowing to no man, other than through rank.

It did show that the Tau'ri (In this case SG-1.) was gunna be stirring up trouble though.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
      [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

When I see this title, I always remember the blue dress with the huge puffy sleeves - it's way over the top, especially when all the other women in the episode were dressed in subdued colours.

Comment

Originally posted by jenniferhailey
          Because we didn't want her to stay the Children of the Gods Briefing Room Sam, did we?
          Definitely not, but I just don't think this one is where we start to break away from that Sam Carter. It just doesn't feel like they'd gotten a good handle on her character or how to write for her at this point.

This episode could have been much better and while I don't dislike it as much as many do, I think it could have been so much better.

Comment

I just think it was a very clumsy attempt to build on the "briefing room Sam" character.

As a member of SG-1 I think we should be able to assume that she can do all that rufty-tufty soldier stuff, and see it introduced gradually, in line with the eps.

And I still don't buy that she would have ben able to beat that guy in a knife fight.
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
              And I still don't buy that she would have ben able to beat that guy in a knife fight.
              Maybe he had a cold that day?

It really depends on what 'Level 3 advanced' hand-to-hand combat entails. If she's well trained in knife fighting, she might well have an edge over your man in a straight fight, especially if his people don't have any training besides: "Okay: Try to stab him! No, not like that, like this! Okay; try and stab the next guy better."
              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

not sure I buy it - even with the "cold" theory. Most people I know who are good at fighting (whatever sort) do an awful lot of training. Plus, to fight with a knife you absolutely have to have the killer instinct.

Which, given what happens at the end, Sam clearly doesn't have. I'd have slit his throat merely for having made me wear That Dress.

sigpic

Comment

Which, given what happens at the end, Sam clearly doesn't have. I'd have slit his throat merely for having made me wear That Dress.
                  Technically, he didn't; Jack did, on Daniel's advice.

I'll admit, I would have liked to see Sam kill the guy, but it was too early. We need to have Sam established as a sort of 'soldier for peace' before seeing her kill - either for revenge or simply for expedience - would have had any impact.

In the X-Men comics, Storm was for years the moral spine of the team; the most committed to the principle that the X-Men should never kill. This stance gave her friendship with Wolverine a powerful tension and - incidentally - its abandonment for 'angry Storm' in X-2 is one of the few things I don't like about the film.

But anyway, then there was a story in which Angel got kidnapped by these sewer dwelling mutants, the Morlocks. Storm, at the time the leader of the X-Men, took a team into the sewers, but they were captured. To save them, she had to challenge the Morlocks' leader, Callisto, to a knife fight to the death. Storm killed Callisto, and the consequences for the character informed the next ten years of comics. It was an incredibly powerful moment.

The end of Emancipation could have been that, but not with Sam still such a new character, alas.
                  Last edited by Mr Prophet; 09 May 2004, 06:41 AM.

Comment

So, you'd have less of a "problem" with Emancipation if it came, say, in S3? I think I would

Although, to be honest, I don't dislike the ep as much as I dislike others.

I think I may have to investigate the X-Men. I've never read any of it or seen either of the films

sigpic

Comment

I think I may have to investigate the X-Men. I've never read any of it or seen either of the films
                      Catching up on the films would be cheaper and less confusing.

And I don't know about the rest of Emancipation, I just mean that the ending a) would have worked better as shock-horror, Airwoman Sam kills people rather than Trek-style quality of mercy and b) as the former belonged somewhere further in where we really thought we knew Sam and that wasn't her.

It's not my least favourite episode either; it just feels rather pointless. It's a bit of a sledgehammer message as well, rather like The Other Side, although that had a better ending. I mean, that's actually exactly the kind of ending I'm talking about, where rather than take the high ground and walk out, Jack stops to really put the boot in; not because they're bad - although they are - so much as because they tricked him.

Comment

My big problem with this ep. is the ease with which Sam was taken prisoner by a boy. I just don't think that, with her training in hand to hand combat, she would have been able to stop the attack.

I just feel that this was the weakest ep. of the season.
                        sigpic

Comment

Let's face it though; when the plot calls for it, Sam is deeply cissy.

Comment

Very true. She has the touch to do things
                            __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Norlioness
                              When I see this title, I always remember the blue dress with the huge puffy sleeves - it's way over the top, especially when all the other women in the episode were dressed in subdued colours.
                              *Shudders* Me too,NL,....but the real abomination (for me) was that AWFUL head-dress !!
                              OK,the script was a bit preachy too,but I take comfort in the fact that it was a very early episode.
                              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Working...
                              X