Should Heroes Set an End Date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Heroes Set an End Date?

Over at THR’s The Live Feed, TV blogger James Hibberd has put together six reasons why NBC should seriously consider giving Heroes a set end date (that is, a set number of years for the show to run, then end it). He makes some good points. Here they are, in order. I’ll only take the bullet point headlines and inject my own thoughts. You can read the rest of his reasoning over at his blog here.

Scarcity increases demand He’s got a good point here. When viewers know that a show is set to end at a certain date, it’s easier to jump on board, knowing there will be a payoff at the end of the day, and that the show won’t go on endlessly and never resolve anything.

Creatively, it helped “Lost,” “Battlestar Galactica” and “The Shield.” I can’t speak to this, as I don’t watch any of these three shows religiously enough to know if it’s helped or hurt.

It probably improves ratings. Does it? Again, if viewers know that a show is set to end on a certain date, they might be more inclined to give it a chance, comforted in the idea that they won’t be strung along endlessly. It would make investing in the show easier.

“Heroes” is doomed anyway. I hate to admit it, but the ratings are continuing to slip, and there’s no sign it’s coming back up, so maybe he’s right about this. What are the negative impacts of setting an end date for Heroes? At this point, I can’t see any.

You can always renege. Absolutely. The hardcore fans will always come back, and who knows, you might create new hardcore fans. If the creativity is there and the show becomes great again as it nears the end, who wouldn’t clamor for more?

Assisted suicide = death with dignity. If you had a set end date, the show could return to its “save the world” roots. Although this might remind people too much of the much-derided Season 2. Maybe something more along the lines of Season 1, smaller in scale, but still “epic” (if that makes any sense). If you knew the show was going to end, you could come up with a major cataclysmic event that brings in all the characters, past and present, and just go for it. No holds bar, as it were.
    http://www.heroestheseries.com/shoul...t-an-end-date/

i think they need to have an end date.

what kills the show is the continual 'gotta tell a story to keep people interested, but i can't tell too much too fast or i'll run out of things to do, but i can't tell things too slow or people will get bored.....'

often the creative team can't pace themselves and you get an uneven dragging/too much happens up and down and it annoys people

I think a lot of shows could benefit from a 'it'll take us 5 seasons to tell this story' limit (or however many there are)

the networks seem to be getting a clue about this, referring to the 13 episode 'harper's island' series that's starting this summer. It's a serial with a definite beginning, middle and end and not something that'll be dragged out for years and years and years past its prime

heros needs an end date.

and, honestly, it needs to be soon. like after this season, say they have 13 more eps and then it's done.

or needs to be rebooted significantly. Like a friend of mine has said 'they're heroes, can i ever see them being a hero?'

we could have a running super hero show, if they'd just get out of this conspiracy theory mess that they're stuck in.

then they can possibly have successive seasons, that are each selfencapsulated, kind of like being a graphic novel per season, 13 episodes that tell a specific story from beginning to end with some long running characters, and others that come and go.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

In BSG it done them no good really I do not see any improvements in the episode and their still so much time taken with nothing it just seem like the writers only had one plan that put everything into the last three episodes.

Lost of the hand it lead to more focus they the writers in the second/third seasons was trying to drag it out as much as possible, but it the writers themselves that wanted a end date not the studio, the writers wanted to limit there five seasons and it was the studio/network who then divided that up to get as many seasons as possible out of it.

So I think it depend on where it comes from, NBC made a bad mistake in forcing the writers of heroes to keep the same characters from the first season when they were meant to change, this put the writers it awkward position for trying to extend the lives of characters that should of been retired for a second season, with the season 1 there only as background characters.

Then they could of built themselves up to the big gathering of all the heroes and villain in countered for the final season.

Honestly at the moment their does not seem to be a natural end for heroes and so I do not think in it current state you cannot plan an ending.
      Last edited by knowles2; 13 March 2009, 06:39 AM.

Comment

They could end it with big budget movie, but then maybe people would realise that the premise is just a big X-Men rip-off...

Comment

I think Heroes can last for at least two more seasons, more stories may have came up by then. The could also slowly change who the main characters are to keep the series going.

Comment

They don't need to, since each season is just one or two big story arcs anyway. It's not like Lost which is one long arc. They practically renew the show every season- or they would have, if they stuck with the original plan of having each season with new characters and only carrying over maybe one or two old ones. <snip>
            Last edited by Skydiver; 14 March 2009, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Would just like to correct my self the BSG writers plan was to stick everything in the last 2 episodes.

Comment

Personally, I don't think Heroes should set a specific end date. Each Volume has it's own story to tell, and I am fine with that. For the most part anyways.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                  Personally, I don't think Heroes should set a specific end date. Each Volume has it's own story to tell, and I am fine with that. For the most part anyways.
                  I agree. With this format it could almost end anytime. I love that each season, or half season is its own story.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X