This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forum slowness returned ?

the forum seems slow even with or without adblock plus so i don't think it's ad's related this time.

Has anyone else been having trouble with slowness?? in the past week or so
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

yes I have. It's isn't *terribly* slow but there is a lag.
    sigpic

Comment

Yes. The blue screen of death shouldn't last more than one minute for high speed internet users.

Comment

I haven't had any problems all day.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Me neither, this week.
          sigpic

Comment

It seems to be an intermittent lag.
            Sometimes it's caused by a sig/image-hosting site,or other ads taking their sweet time to load.

Hard drive refreshes help..and another thing I find works is to switch away to a different site or google for a few moments ,then come back into the forum.

When you guys hit a lag,which site info comes up at the bottom left hand side of your screen ?

( Looking for pointers and commonalities. )
            The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
              It seems to be an intermittent lag.
              Sometimes it's caused by a sig/image-hosting site,or other ads taking their sweet time to load.

Hard drive refreshes help..and another thing I find works is to switch away to a different site or google for a few moments ,then come back into the forum.

When you guys hit a lag,which site info comes up at the bottom left hand side of your screen ?

( Looking for pointers and commonalities. )
              When navigating through the forum, I get a blank blue screen and it freezes, causing me to restart my comp. Once in a while, I'll get a notice from my security suite mentioning tinyurl. Don't know what tinyurl is.

Comment

tinyurl is a program/service or something that takes one of those hundred+ character url's (like ever tried to c/p a link to something on amazon???) and turns them into something smaller

long url's can be an issue cutting and pasting when you run into forums or e-mails that truncate the length of a line - putting a hard return in the middle of a link, rendering it unclickable.

what you guys are probably running into is an ad with a dodgy URL. Or maybe a hotlinked sig with a dodgy URL. If a page doesn't load right, once it does load, what all is on that page? if we can find a commonality then we can find the link and do what we can to resolve it
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Under "Options" in your CP, you can disable sigs and whatnot under "Visible Post Elements". This'll speed up forum display anyway, regardless of whether or not there's a logjam at one of the 3rd party sites.
                  Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Well....It just happened again. I tried to post a reply using the quote button and got the blue screen of death.

Comment

Server load hasnt had any spikes for the past 3 weeks or so - so nothing on GW's end.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Well, actually there's one thing I always notice when I need to wait for the page to load, then firefox says:

Waiting for www.clintonio.com or clintonio.com or something.clintonio.com

If that appears I know I'll be waiting thirty seconds instead of the usual five.

EDIT/ Actually it says "Read clintonio.com" most of the time, not "waiting for" if this makes any difference.
                        Last edited by Jper; 09 March 2009, 10:41 AM.
                        A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Sky and Greg.....the page doesn't load, just 'freezes'...resulting in a restart. This only happens on GW. My sig links are from photobucket, but I don't think it's a link issue. The occasional message I get on the bottom right of the screen says 'your computer has been prevented from accessing tinyurl'. I get that after a page has loaded...

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                            Well, actually there's one thing I always notice when I need to wait for the page to load, then firefox says:

Waiting for www.clintonio.com or clintonio.com or something.clintonio.com

If that appears I know I'll be waiting thirty seconds instead of the usual five.
                            I believe it is something to do with the loading of rotating sigs? I don't have much trouble with it though

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Chaap View Post
                              I believe it is something to do with the loading of rotating sigs? I don't have much trouble with it though
                              Yeah, that and sigs of 150kb (maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit ) but I personally have considered blocking clintonio.com with AdBlockPlus, but then I indeed don't see the sigs anymore.
                              A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Working...
                              X