This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti-Ship Thread

This thread is for those who broke no compromises, those who loathe ship in any form on the show, be it between main characters, secondary character, imaginary characters or the very ships, themselves (although you really gotta wonder what kind of crazies would object to Sam/Luke ship.)

Topic is not open for discussion, it's for anti-ship folk to vent, to offer words of comfort, and to maintain their own view of the show even if it means ignoring weddings and pregnancies.

Have at it, folks.

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
    Topic is not open for discussion, it's for anti-ship folk to vent, to offer words of comfort, and to maintain their own view of the show even if it means ignoring weddings and pregnancies.

Have at it, folks.

LOL, thanks, Shadowmaat -- was wondering if you were going to start one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gategrrl
      LOL, thanks, Shadowmaat -- was wondering if you were going to start one up.
      Always happy to oblige another demented individual.

I'm not completely anti-ship, but I could live quite happily without there being any active ship on the show. And other than possibly Thor's ship, I'm not too keen on all the other ships.

Comment

Always happy to oblige another demented individual.

I'm not completely anti-ship, but I could live quite happily without there being any active ship on the show. And other than possibly Thor's ship, I'm not too keen on all the other ships.
        Well, I have to say, I am NOT keen on the Prometheus. I mean really. It's butt-ugly. It takes away from the Stargate itself as a mode to adventure.

And relationship ship...well...thar be dragons in that ocean. I'm not completely anti-ship either -- not 100%. I appreciate a romance that actually contributes to the ongoing story-line (Drey'auc, for instance), or Sha're. And in fact, both of those women were only in a smattering of the shows - Drey'auc was in one, but what happened to her had enormous repercussions for Teal'c. Sha're appeared in three shows, and again, her appearances had a great effect on Daniel. Unfortunately, Sara O'Neill was only in one show, but her image still shows up in Jack's house, so one can't say that he's entirely over her. (not that it comes up directly)

I object to ship that has no bearing on the on-going story. And 'ship' that detracts from the story-telling, not adding to it. That goes for any ship between major characters, ship that has nothing to do with the Stargate/SGC and is featured too much (Chimera, Sam/Pete anyone?) in an episode...and I hate it when a ship requires that to make it happen, the characters involved have to twist themselves into position.

I'd much rather see adventures through the Stargate that require some kind of continuity, thoughtfulness and PLOT.

Comment

Originally posted by Gategrrl
          and I hate it when a ship requires that to make it happen, the characters involved have to twist themselves into position.
          I strongly resent watching a character I know and love be portrayed as having brains of oatmeal because of some guy. Or girl. If you have to make a character uncharacteristic in order for the ship to work, then you're doing something wrong.

Comment

I, for one, don't like music created for a show to suddenly exist in that show's reality due to ship. What I mean, of course, is Sam whistling the SG-1 theme... and also the communicators from Power Rangers, but that's not important.

Also... I think if the creators absolutely must (which I sure as heck hope they don't), then the ship between Sam and Jack should be tried and FAIL. They suddenly realize they make better friends, and that's that.

I happen to be a fan of spaceships, though.
            Sheppard and Mitchell: and you were worried they were going to be O'Neill clones?

Two of my favorite shows are about Jonathan Sheppard, assuming Jack is always short for Jonathan. Weird, huh? (Lost and Atlantis)

Comment

Originally posted by JakeDeuxPointZero
              I happen to be a fan of spaceships, though.
              Then you aren't allowed on this thread. Just kidding...

I'm not sure what I think of the humming in the elevator thing. Part of me finds it funny, part of me finds it incredibly jarring. It's too bad they didn't make up a Wormhole X-treme! theme, then Sam could've hummed that AND kept continuity AND revealed herself as a closet Wormy (or X-tremist, or whatever the fans are called).

I do, however, hate that there is a Sam/Jack shippy theme because every time you hear it, no matter how innocuous the scene might appear, you know it's meant to be shippy because of the music. Granted, there's usually lighting and camera angles involved, too, but once you hear that music... *gag*

Comment

And other than possibly Thor's ship, I'm not too keen on all the other ships.
                Yes, my ship is quite the awesome site... As is any ship in our fleet actually... don't be too hard on the prometheus though... it is a good first step, and now has bad mo-jammer shields and weapons since I upgraded them for you.

Comment

I hate all shipper woo sam this jack that....
                  For cryin out loud I hope oneill goes for anise and sam goes for pete just to wipe the smile off the shippers faces

Comment

Originally posted by thor39
                    I hate all shipper woo sam this jack that....
                    For cryin out loud I hope oneill goes for anise and sam goes for pete just to wipe the smile off the shippers faces
                    hate is such a strong emotion...and not one that i personally would waste on a tv show. There are lots of folks around that like different aspects of the show than i do, and i don't hate any of them, heck the show would be pretty dang boring if everyone liked the exact same things
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

dislike then maybe?
                      that's ok isn't it i dislike their attitude towards sam and jack

Comment

Actually even to say that you dislike *people* is against forum rules. It falls into the personal insults category. It's perfectly fine to say that you hate, loathe, find disgusting, want it vanished to the 3rd circle of He**, etc when talking about ship, but to say you hate or dislike shippers is against forum rules.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

OK sorry
                          Umm...I have different tastes to shippers and I don't understand why they ship?
                          Is that ok?

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                            There are lots of folks around that like different aspects of the show than i do, and i don't hate any of them
                            Oh, I can think of a few folks I... severely dislike for personal reasons, but I don't actively hate the shippers- hard to do when some of my friends are actively shippy- but I do get very tired of some of the attitude developed by some of them. The smugness, the superiority, the "ship is good, ship is here, nyaa nyaa" mentality and the nasty comments that some of them make towards unshippy things or especially the vitriol targeted at anyone or anything that gets in the way of their chosen ship.

There are characters on the show that I don't like, some of them are even very popular, but that doesn't mean I want to see any of them killed off, crucified or otherwise demonized- not on the show and certainly not in fandom. Believe it or not, I can dislike something with a quiet passion.

Back on target, though... Is it safe to say that while ship is not something we want to see on Stargate, one of the bigger reasons for that is because of its gross mishandling of the subject by the writers? Because I think that's one of my bigger issues with it. I've seen subtle ship written before and when it's done right it's a beautiful thing- especially since its subtlety means that those who don't wanna see it don't have to- but the writers for Stargate seem to have adopted a lead-fisted approach and are making it so blatant that it's nearly (or even totally) impossible to ignore it. Instead of hard-hitting plotlines with occasional quips and looks, we "forget" the action and drama so that the characters can make moopy faces and talk about their "feelings". That I don't like.

One you start down the shippy path, forever will it dominate the show's destiny. Consume it, it will.

Comment

Perfect thank you very much.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Working...
                              X