Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast

Default Anti-Ship Thread

This thread is for those who broke no compromises, those who loathe ship in any form on the show, be it between main characters, secondary character, imaginary characters or the very ships, themselves (although you really gotta wonder what kind of crazies would object to Sam/Luke ship.)

Topic is not open for discussion, it's for anti-ship folk to vent, to offer words of comfort, and to maintain their own view of the show even if it means ignoring weddings and pregnancies.

Have at it, folks.

Default Re: Anti-Ship Thread I

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat
    Topic is not open for discussion, it's for anti-ship folk to vent, to offer words of comfort, and to maintain their own view of the show even if it means ignoring weddings and pregnancies.

Have at it, folks.

LOL, thanks, Shadowmaat -- was wondering if you were going to start one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gategrrl
    LOL, thanks, Shadowmaat -- was wondering if you were going to start one up.
    Always happy to oblige another demented individual.

I'm not completely anti-ship, but I could live quite happily without there being any active ship on the show. And other than possibly Thor's ship, I'm not too keen on all the other ships.

Always happy to oblige another demented individual.

I'm not completely anti-ship, but I could live quite happily without there being any active ship on the show. And other than possibly Thor's ship, I'm not too keen on all the other ships.
    Well, I have to say, I am NOT keen on the Prometheus. I mean really. It's butt-ugly. It takes away from the Stargate itself as a mode to adventure.

And relationship ship...well...thar be dragons in that ocean. I'm not completely anti-ship either -- not 100%. I appreciate a romance that actually contributes to the ongoing story-line (Drey'auc, for instance), or Sha're. And in fact, both of those women were only in a smattering of the shows - Drey'auc was in one, but what happened to her had enormous repercussions for Teal'c. Sha're appeared in three shows, and again, her appearances had a great effect on Daniel. Unfortunately, Sara O'Neill was only in one show, but her image still shows up in Jack's house, so one can't say that he's entirely over her. (not that it comes up directly)

I object to ship that has no bearing on the on-going story. And 'ship' that detracts from the story-telling, not adding to it. That goes for any ship between major characters, ship that has nothing to do with the Stargate/SGC and is featured too much (Chimera, Sam/Pete anyone?) in an episode...and I hate it when a ship requires that to make it happen, the characters involved have to twist themselves into position.

I'd much rather see adventures through the Stargate that require some kind of continuity, thoughtfulness and PLOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Gategrrl
    and I hate it when a ship requires that to make it happen, the characters involved have to twist themselves into position.
    I strongly resent watching a character I know and love be portrayed as having brains of oatmeal because of some guy. Or girl. If you have to make a character uncharacteristic in order for the ship to work, then you're doing something wrong.

Chief Master Sergeant JakeDeuxPointZero's Avatar

I, for one, don't like music created for a show to suddenly exist in that show's reality due to ship. What I mean, of course, is Sam whistling the SG-1 theme... and also the communicators from Power Rangers, but that's not important.

Also... I think if the creators absolutely must (which I sure as heck hope they don't), then the ship between Sam and Jack should be tried and FAIL. They suddenly realize they make better friends, and that's that.

I happen to be a fan of spaceships, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeDeuxPointZero
    I happen to be a fan of spaceships, though.
    Then you aren't allowed on this thread. Just kidding...

I'm not sure what I think of the humming in the elevator thing. Part of me finds it funny, part of me finds it incredibly jarring. It's too bad they didn't make up a Wormhole X-treme! theme, then Sam could've hummed that AND kept continuity AND revealed herself as a closet Wormy (or X-tremist, or whatever the fans are called).

I do, however, hate that there is a Sam/Jack shippy theme because every time you hear it, no matter how innocuous the scene might appear, you know it's meant to be shippy because of the music. Granted, there's usually lighting and camera angles involved, too, but once you hear that music... *gag*

Second Lieutenant

Re: Anti-Ship Thread I

And other than possibly Thor's ship, I'm not too keen on all the other ships.
    Yes, my ship is quite the awesome site... As is any ship in our fleet actually... don't be too hard on the prometheus though... it is a good first step, and now has bad mo-jammer shields and weapons since I upgraded them for you.

I hate all shipper woo sam this jack that....
    For cryin out loud I hope oneill goes for anise and sam goes for pete just to wipe the smile off the shippers faces

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Quote Originally Posted by thor39
    I hate all shipper woo sam this jack that....
    For cryin out loud I hope oneill goes for anise and sam goes for pete just to wipe the smile off the shippers faces
    hate is such a strong emotion...and not one that i personally would waste on a tv show. There are lots of folks around that like different aspects of the show than i do, and i don't hate any of them, heck the show would be pretty dang boring if everyone liked the exact same things

dislike then maybe?
    that's ok isn't it i dislike their attitude towards sam and jack

Intergalactic Hussy
    (Moderator Emeritus)
    I don't know but the view sure looks nice

Actually even to say that you dislike *people* is against forum rules. It falls into the personal insults category. It's perfectly fine to say that you hate, loathe, find disgusting, want it vanished to the 3rd circle of He**, etc when talking about ship, but to say you hate or dislike shippers is against forum rules.

Re: Anti-Ship Thread I

OK sorry
    Umm...I have different tastes to shippers and I don't understand why they ship?
    Is that ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver
    There are lots of folks around that like different aspects of the show than i do, and i don't hate any of them
    Oh, I can think of a few folks I... severely dislike for personal reasons, but I don't actively hate the shippers- hard to do when some of my friends are actively shippy- but I do get very tired of some of the attitude developed by some of them. The smugness, the superiority, the "ship is good, ship is here, nyaa nyaa" mentality and the nasty comments that some of them make towards unshippy things or especially the vitriol targeted at anyone or anything that gets in the way of their chosen ship.

There are characters on the show that I don't like, some of them are even very popular, but that doesn't mean I want to see any of them killed off, crucified or otherwise demonized- not on the show and certainly not in fandom. Believe it or not, I can dislike something with a quiet passion.

Back on target, though... Is it safe to say that while ship is not something we want to see on Stargate, one of the bigger reasons for that is because of its gross mishandling of the subject by the writers? Because I think that's one of my bigger issues with it. I've seen subtle ship written before and when it's done right it's a beautiful thing- especially since its subtlety means that those who don't wanna see it don't have to- but the writers for Stargate seem to have adopted a lead-fisted approach and are making it so blatant that it's nearly (or even totally) impossible to ignore it. Instead of hard-hitting plotlines with occasional quips and looks, we "forget" the action and drama so that the characters can make moopy faces and talk about their "feelings". That I don't like.

One you start down the shippy path, forever will it dominate the show's destiny. Consume it, it will.

Intergalactic Hussy
    (Moderator Emeritus)
    I don't know but the view sure looks nice

Perfect thank you very much.

I think it's non sense to have an anti-ship thread since there's only one ship in the show and it's the JS.
    Any other type of romance it's minimal and the few besides the JS are done in a good way, like Pete/Sam or Teal'c/Ishta.
    Fans hate the JS because it splitted the team and transformed Sam and Jack into two selfish stupid characters.
    The majority of complaints are against the JS exclusive ship that left Teal'c and Daniel out of it.

Have a look at the who do you ship forthread there are a great many for example Daniel and Janet

... Is it safe to say that while ship is not something we want to see on Stargate, one of the bigger reasons for that is because of its gross mishandling of the subject by the writer
    Well, I think definitely recently this is the case. The writers can't write ship. And, also having it between two people you don't see any chemistry with, especially when it affects the dynamic of the team is jarring. Shippers can see it without non shippers seeing, so why is it necessary to make it so that everyone can see ship, especially since it has nothing to do with the show?

Since I think they write ship badly, I wouldn't want to see Pete, except for maybe an episode, just to show that he's still there, and I'd rather he be integrated into the Stargate storyline, rather than be just "Sam's boyfriend." It's too risky with these writers to assume that they'll be able to keep it up.

Have a look at the who do you ship forthread there are a great many for example Daniel and Janet
    I think the post was specifically addressing the writers putting ship on the show, not pairings that fans would like. As far as I know, the writers never shipped Daniel and Janet. MS and TR played up some things, but it wasn't a canon part of the show. So far, if you're looking at ship as the literal abbreviation of a relationship, there's only been a few. Daniel/Sha're, Jack/Sara, Teal'c/Shaun'ac (spelling). Maybe Sam/Pete. If we use ship as anything ranging from other characters hinting of something more, the only one that has been sanctioned by the writers is Jack/Sam.
    Last edited by Dani347; May 11th, 2004 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darklilac
    I think it's non sense to have an anti-ship thread since there's only one ship in the show and it's the JS.
    If you think the thread is nonsense then by all means, feel free not to post here. As I said in my original post, the subject is not open to debate, here. If you want to discuss the pros/cons and various shades of gray, then you can revive the ship discussion thread.

Yes, S/J is the most blatant example, but for some, even "outside" relationships like Sam/Pete or Daniel/Sarah are too much and while I love Pete, I can see where they're coming from. The writers have, in my opinion, developed a very depressing habit of centering stories/scenes around romantic entanglements and ignoring any important action/plots around them. I watch Stargate for the stories, not for the soap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dani347
    Since I think they write ship badly, I wouldn't want to see Pete, except for maybe an episode, just to show that he's still there, and I'd rather he be integrated into the Stargate storyline, rather than be just "Sam's boyfriend." It's too risky with these writers to assume that they'll be able to keep it up.
    Unfortunately, Dani, I don't think the writers are capable of doing any justice to the Pete character whatsoever. Not with the "cloying boyfriend" attitude that some of them seem to have. They've already made up their minds about him, and what they've decided isn't good. For that reason, I'd be quite happy if we never saw Pete again.

Quote Originally Posted by thor39
    That is probably because the moderator who started the thread very conveniently left out an option to vote for Daniel/Sam ship. There are some true D/J'ers but in my experience alot of writers/supporters simply like it so they can pair off D/J because it keeps to keep them occupied in Jack/Sam ship stories), so they don't become 3rd wheels. Very convenient that he managed to leave out a very popular pairing like Daniel and Sam though--which has at least a couple yahoo groups(one with over 300 members) and many websites and videos devoted to it.

That said I am not for ANY ship within the show. I don't want ship between team members. I don't ship focused on Team members and other people. Daniel/Sha're was carried from the film and it really was kept very much in the background except for about 3 or 4 episodes over nearly 3 seasons. Same with Teal'c and his wife and Jack and Sara(Jack and Sara is the only one I come close to wanting on the show in the future).

So I am definitely Anti-ship.

Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast